This week's Bestbuy deal worth it?

#1scarecowPosted 5/1/2013 9:06:15 AM
Hello, I'm looking to buy a wii u soon, and in my hunt I came across the basic set + nintendo land for $280.

My question is: in the experience of those who own a deluxe set, is the extra gb and charging cradle worth it? The Wii U has expandable memory, so I can't imagine the memory is too big of a deal. The color difference makes absolutely no difference to me.
#2TullyBlanchardPosted 5/1/2013 9:10:51 AM
Yep
---
Follow Me! @Dagatassy - Nintendo Network ID: Dagatassy
#3DBPanterAPosted 5/1/2013 9:14:19 AM
The charging cradle is worthless much like its 3DS counterpart. I should know, I have both.

I do use the Gamepad stand a lot, so that is nice. I never touched Nintendoland because I don't have people coming to my house to play video games, so the game itself is kind of a let down (would have been nice if Nintendo would have used on-line with this game, but nope, stuck in 2005).

The 8 GB is really small, and you will most likely need a external hard drive out of the gate. Remember once it is formatted for the WIi U, it cannot be used on anything else. If you have a good internet connection and intend on digitally purchasing full retail games, then you will need a nice sized external, as retail games will take up between 2.1-25 GB. Most digital downloads games from the indy guys hover in the 500 MB-2 GB, while DLC for games is usually below 2 GB. These numbers are simply estimates, not set in stone.

The 8GB basic will be enough to play retail games without any worries. When there is system updates, it's not like the code is continuing to pile on, but rather it replaces old code.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#4Reflex-ArcPosted 5/1/2013 9:14:42 AM
If I were in the market for a Wii U I would jump on that deal.
#5MilesTeg420Posted 5/1/2013 9:17:21 AM
It's a good deal. The extras in the Deluxe aren't really anything spectacular, in fact all that stuff that came with mine is still in the box.
#6New LinkPosted 5/1/2013 9:18:31 AM
scarecow posted...
Hello, I'm looking to buy a wii u soon, and in my hunt I came across the basic set + nintendo land for $280.

My question is: in the experience of those who own a deluxe set, is the extra gb and charging cradle worth it? The Wii U has expandable memory, so I can't imagine the memory is too big of a deal. The color difference makes absolutely no difference to me.

I use a third party charging cradle (the power cord to the wii u gamepad fell apart, which also plugs into the cradle) which I do like. I used the original cradle for a while but the cable fell apart. I do like having a cradle, but I wish they included a seperate power cord for the cradle versus the gamepad's top port.

The extra space is nice, unless you already plan to have an external HDD hooked up, in which case it kind of negates it.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#7_Sovereign_Posted 5/1/2013 9:40:24 AM
scarecow posted...

It's a great deal. You do not need a charging cradle - I lay my gamepad on top of the console when it's off ( same length roughly) and since the cable is plugged in behind the TV/Console, it doesn't bother anything.

I've had the 8gb version since launch and haven't needed to use my spare HDD yet ( 8 retail games, soon to be 11, 3 VC games, and the Rayman App) so I wouldn't be too worried about space unless you plan on downloading everything.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#8dcamp27Posted 5/1/2013 9:50:10 AM
Thanks topic creator for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. I might pick one up after work today since it sounds like a good deal, especially after the speed update they just released. I've already decided that Zombi U will be my first game.
#9xChaosLordxPosted 5/1/2013 10:01:47 AM
Retailers are cutting prices due to supply and demand. I'd wait until Wii-Us are bargain binned at $149 or cheaper. Prices will be there is in a year or less. Just wait.
#10deathslovePosted 5/1/2013 10:03:46 AM
Not worth it, they have been cutting prices in other countries and probably will soon in the rest.