Poor sales are better than Zero sales.

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/1/2013 12:45:20 PM
Which is what sales would be if Nintendo Hadn't launched early.

And while it sucks for us who bought the console a little bit, not getting the games we anticipated, and while third parties may be discouraged right now.

There is no reason why its poor performance today should in any way be.... Permanent?
I mean, this sort of thing wont stick by the time the console wars fire up, and the big three are competing with each-other again, and scrambling for market base..

People in general ( yes, a generalization ) seem to act as though in order to do well tomorrow, the console NEEDS to do well today.
Nintendo NEEDS to advertise as much as it can.
All these things NEED to happen.

But the reality is, no, they really don't.
The console didn't NEED to come out in 2012 to begin with, it could have just come out this Nov, and that wii U would have been very similar to the Wii U we'll have in Nov.

Why not advertise now?
Because its not as economical right now for one thing.
Your advertising dollars go a lot farther when
A: Its a time of year when people buy.
B: There is content people are interested which you can highlight.
Advertising isn't nonexistant, but there is a reason why nintendo isn't throwing out a lot of money into it right now.

Of course though, Nintendo still does want the wii U to do as well as it can during this period. Launching early came at a cost.
It cost the tech, It cost us some decent wii games no doubt, and even thought the wii was not doing hot, It still cost them to end it early.
And launching early is still an opportunity which nintendo wants to make the most out of.

Nintendo sure has fallen short of their projections for this early launch, but ultimatly, they haven't fallen short of anything that is crucial for them, or for the wii-U.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#2SlimeSwayzePosted 5/1/2013 12:53:30 PM
It's arguable that no sales would be better when you consider Nintendo's absolute failure to properly market the Wii U, provide adequate software support, and attract third parties to develop for the system. Right now half of the gaming world doesn't know what the Wii U is, and at least half of the other half doesn't care. It's become a joke to many, and with new consoles coming around the corner that will actually usher in a new generation of console technology, one could argue that Nintendo would have been better off waiting an extra year, releasing the console with better software support and at a significantly lower price than its competitors. That extra year could have gone a long way toward polishing a larger stable of games and figuring out ways to lower production costs. Instead, they will have suffered through what has been nearly an entire year of bad press, and building a reputation that the Wii U is kind of a joke console.

I'm not saying that the Wii U will be an absolute failure, but great software never did pull the GCN out of last place, and it really looks like the same thing will happen with the Wii U.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#3CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 12:56:02 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
It's arguable that no sales would be better when you consider Nintendo's absolute failure to properly market the Wii U, provide adequate software support, and attract third parties to develop for the system. Right now half of the gaming world doesn't know what the Wii U is, and at least half of the other half doesn't care. It's become a joke to many, and with new consoles coming around the corner that will actually usher in a new generation of console technology, one could argue that Nintendo would have been better off waiting an extra year, releasing the console with better software support and at a significantly lower price than its competitors. That extra year could have gone a long way toward polishing a larger stable of games and figuring out ways to lower production costs. Instead, they will have suffered through what has been nearly an entire year of bad press, and building a reputation that the Wii U is kind of a joke console.

I'm not saying that the Wii U will be an absolute failure, but great software never did pull the GCN out of last place, and it really looks like the same thing will happen with the Wii U.

I doubt they there is anything they could have done to make the console more consumer ready by Nov 2013 than to release it in 2012, and figure out what all the problems were, and develop it with the consumers.

Take a look at how much Miiverse has evolved already.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4STN79Posted 5/1/2013 12:56:43 PM
I don't get why slow sales on a console that's barely getting started is such a mystery. It's how they all begin. Time is all that is needed to make Wii U succeed. The games are coming. Just play something on the wide variety of other systems while you wait.
#5CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 1:00:42 PM
STN79 posted...
I don't get why slow sales on a console that's barely getting started is such a mystery. It's how they all begin. Time is all that is needed to make Wii U succeed. The games are coming. Just play something on the wide variety of other systems while you wait.

I don't know what constitutes a lot, and I don't know what constitutes a little.
But I do know Nintendo expected more.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#6PigfartsPosted 5/1/2013 1:07:21 PM
STN79 posted...

The sales aren't just slow or bad, they are horrible esp for 6 months into the life of a console. there is now way to spin that as the norm.

Its not the people here that sales figures should concern its the developers who are refusing to make Wii U games b/c of the low sales.

Its a cycle, no sale ---> no game...no game ---> no sale.
nintendo releases a bunch of 1st games, consoles sell, but 3rd parties can't compete with nintendo 1st parties.

its lose lose, unless a 3rd party game can come out and show there is a market for them on the Wii u.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#7CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 1:22:50 PM
Pigfarts posted...
STN79 posted...

The sales aren't just slow or bad, they are horrible esp for 6 months into the life of a console. there is now way to spin that as the norm.

Its not the people here that sales figures should concern its the developers who are refusing to make Wii U games b/c of the low sales.

Its a cycle, no sale ---> no game...no game ---> no sale.
nintendo releases a bunch of 1st games, consoles sell, but 3rd parties can't compete with nintendo 1st parties.

its lose lose, unless a 3rd party game can come out and show there is a market for them on the Wii u.

Its not just that.

Its not ALWAYS going to be a cycle ( well its possible ). But right now the Wii U caught many of the games already in development.
So its like "Well, we WERE going to just release in on PS3 and 360, but should we release it for the wii U too? Nahhhh"

What it really needed was a game developed FOR the wii U, For the consoles core audience. Which is why Rayman Legends would have been so good for the console, and why it will be such a big deal when it finally does come out.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#8googlerPosted 5/1/2013 1:32:30 PM
All I have to say that this lame attempt at being an apologist is pathetic. You're not obligated to defend them since all they're after is your money
#9STN79Posted 5/1/2013 1:42:02 PM
For godsake wait at least until this time next year before you start judging the future success of a console which has only been on the market for 5 months. Software will pile up over the holidays, and we'll have a better picture of the Wii U's ultimate fate. Anyone who deemed the PS3 a failure at this point in its lifespan back in 2007 was just as wrong as those who are already condemning the Wii U to failure. You all will be eating your words in due time.
#10SlimeSwayzePosted 5/1/2013 1:52:09 PM
Why wait to judge future success or failure? I think it's fair to look at what they've done so far and judge that, and by my estimate (as I said in my earlier post) I think they've done an awful job supporting their own console with software and an even worse job of marketing their console to consumers. It may or may not get better, but right now I don't see how anyone in their right mind could defend how they've handled the Wii U so far.

For better or worse, image is a big deal when it comes to success or failure of a product, and I think it could be argued that the small install base they've accrued so far has not been worth the damage done to their image by the wide reporting on their lack of software support and poor sales.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.