Why do gamers always ask for "huge worlds to explore" in their games?

#1Pac12345Posted 5/1/2013 10:55:16 PM
So, I was reading some of the replies this perfectly civil community of Gamefaqs posts (Try reading this with a straight face), and a whole lot of people always ask for this in almost every game.

What do people want in the new Zelda, Mario, CoD, GTA, etc? "A huge world to explore".

Why do you think this is? Is it escapism? Are people looking for escapism experiences?

Not all games have to boast huge open worlds to explore in order to be good, you know. Take Star Fox 64 or Sonic the hedgehog 2 for example.

So yeah, why do you think this is?
#2Ryan SiPosted 5/1/2013 10:58:54 PM
You aren't living in reality?

I hate open-world platformers in particular. Whereas, Action/Adventure games seem like a natural fit for a "huge, open world."
#3Baha05Posted 5/1/2013 10:59:12 PM
Most likely content. The problem is with open world games sometimes there is too little or too much content. More so for certain games (I can't see that huge of a Zelda game without making it tedious)
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#4Beatperson14Posted 5/1/2013 10:59:40 PM
SF64 has plenty to explore with alternate routes

Sonic has multiple levels (vertically) in each level
#5TheCelticArcherPosted 5/1/2013 10:59:49 PM
I would expect that in an action-adventure or RPG game, the bigger the better is usually the case with those.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2, Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Banjo-Kazooie (360), Darksiders II (Wii U), & Need for Speed Most Wanted U.
#6Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 5/1/2013 11:00:36 PM
They don't have to be in every game, but when there's a huge world to explore, there tends to be alot of replay value naturally. I spent a good amount of time exploring for treasures and causing chaos in Far Cry 3. GTA V looks to be amazing as well.

Wouldn't a 3D Mario with a world as big as Skyrim be cool, as long as they filled it with things to do?
---
XBL: Hate Pad Scrubs. UMVC3: Chris/Strange/Amaterasu
#7LifelessBoyPosted 5/1/2013 11:01:15 PM
Because I put more than 2k hours into oblivion and like 600 hours into skyrim.

Going into the 400 hour region with DayZ (Chernarus) now. I love to get lost in an open world. Having a stressful job probably influences this.
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_360/YFAL%20Putipuelko
Don't flame me bro. GT: YFAL Putipuelko - PSN: LifelessLoser - Steam ID: YFAL_Putipuelko - DayZ: Daniel
#8IokuaPosted 5/1/2013 11:02:38 PM
I, personally, like to explore, it's why I love Mario 64 to this day. Sure, there's nothing left for me to find, but there are very few things I enjoy more in a game than just wandering off the beaten path. Older games offered this, modern games only seem to offer it on the rare occasion due to how moronically expensive development has become.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#9Lan915Posted 5/1/2013 11:07:43 PM
Pac12345 posted...
Is it escapism?

Hell yeah, real life SUCKS.
---
"I lost but breakfast was fantastic" - Rutledge Wood
#10wskingwsPosted 5/1/2013 11:11:19 PM
Because being able to do whatever you want is fun, you can progress through the game at your own pace. Im one of those people that like open world games. I literally clocked inn like 70hours on saints row 2 and 3.

Can't wait for saints row 4 and gta 5.
---
Twitter: @KINGSNATIONN