Why do gamers always ask for "huge worlds to explore" in their games?

#21The_Shadow_LinkPosted 5/2/2013 7:00:40 AM
TC shot himself in the foot by giving examples of games that had huge worlds for their time period.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#22retrogamer28Posted 5/2/2013 7:26:41 AM
So long as it isn't designed like a maze, I love having exploration in my games. Even if it isn't a sandbox, so long as the world is large enough and the gameplay is half decent, that's enough for me to consider getting it.
#23Virus66Posted 5/2/2013 7:32:31 AM
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't really care if it's "open world" or not. Some games just naturally do better in closed environments. Resident would be terrible in an open environment. Some games just need that focused direction. Quite often, in open worlds, there is little sense of direction and it's quite easy for gamers to get "lost" and not know what they are supposed to do.

Zelda could work with open world since it's about exploring and finding dungeons. Mario (or pretty much any platformer) would really suffer since the genre is often built on have a lot of linearity. I guess if anyone could transform the genre, it would be Nintendo though. They have a knack for such things.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#24darknight06Posted 5/2/2013 8:44:33 AM
How about NO. A lot of the problem I have with many games these days, especially Western stuff, is that they all feel the same due to being open world. It's like nobody wants to get off of GTA's nuts and it annoys me to no end. It's a big part of the reason I've avoided most games like the plague these days.
---
3DS Friend code: 4081-5501-8308
#25Reflex-ArcPosted 5/2/2013 8:46:38 AM
Because it's fun.
#26ADHDguitarPosted 5/2/2013 8:48:14 AM
Some games are better off linear, like Star Fox, or Uncharted. Yes, I said that.

What makes me really mad is when people whine about having an open world for games that are already open, like Pokemon.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#27darkqueenhelbaPosted 5/2/2013 8:51:57 AM
It makes no sense for the games you listed. That's not even their purpose. Not the scope or the basic premise behind those games. People that want BIG WORLDS to explore need to go play a MMO. Most other genres is just a waste of time.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#28UponADarkThornePosted 5/2/2013 10:13:43 AM
darknight06 posted...
How about NO. A lot of the problem I have with many games these days, especially Western stuff, is that they all feel the same due to being open world. It's like nobody wants to get off of GTA's nuts and it annoys me to no end. It's a big part of the reason I've avoided most games like the plague these days.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are both open world games with a lot of brown - but having played them both a lot, they don't feel the same at all. Now, while I do admit a lot of open world games do a lot of same stuff (which is part of the developers problem in not making things seem unique enough) I also feel to some degree its part of the "play and dispose" mentality of gamers - they don't take time to notice the differences.

Mind you, I don't think very many Nintendo properties would benefit from open world. Maybe a Pokemon game like Skyrim (though cell-shaded, with not attempts to be realistic) if they fought the urge to do real time combat.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#29guedesbrawlPosted 5/2/2013 10:19:07 AM
this reminds me of rare's 64 games. i want something like that
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#30_Sovereign_Posted 5/2/2013 10:25:46 AM
guedesbrawl posted...
this reminds me of rare's 64 games. i want something like that

How I wish Banjo Kazooie 3 was Retro's project.........
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.