Wii U failing, or devs too poor to invest?

#1knightimexPosted 5/2/2013 5:15:16 PM
More and more it seems like developers are too broke to venture into the wild, and have a strong tendency to be a 1 trick pony showing the same game every year but with a different skin.

Hoping the next release they put out won't be the final nail in their coffin.

Or is it because the release time of games is bad timing?
I've also heard that devs don't like using Wii u's hardware because it's different than what they are used to...

I get and understand that ps4 will be the closest a console will get to being a PC, that said I don't think it's the lack of power from Wii u (it's not weak) that's keeping devs away but more of the fact that companies are hard pressed to take risks.

Consoles gain install base by having games players want.
Why is the industry waiting for others to pave the road first?

If it only cost less than a million to port a game then I'm all but convinced developers are insecure about their own product.
---
Old School Style Games FTW!
#2AmmonitidaPosted 5/2/2013 5:17:11 PM
knightimex posted...
More and more it seems like developers are too broke to venture into the wild, and have a strong tendency to be a 1 trick pony showing the same game every year but with a different skin.

Hoping the next release they put out won't be the final nail in their coffin.

Or is it because the release time of games is bad timing?
I've also heard that devs don't like using Wii u's hardware because it's different than what they are used to...

I get and understand that ps4 will be the closest a console will get to being a PC, that said I don't think it's the lack of power from Wii u (it's not weak) that's keeping devs away but more of the fact that companies are hard pressed to take risks.

Consoles gain install base by having games players want.
Why is the industry waiting for others to pave the road first?

If it only cost less than a million to port a game then I'm all but convinced developers are insecure about their own product.

Wow, another "Wii U is doomed" topic.
#3sunK1DPosted 5/2/2013 5:18:35 PM
Short answer:
The industry wants Nintendo to play ball or get **** out.
#4crimsonclaw111Posted 5/2/2013 5:22:47 PM
Sorry, but Wii U is failing. It isn't a matter of being too poor to invest - a from the ground up title could be made for cheap and be a surprise success, but it just isn't really happening.

Now I say the Wii U is failing because developers don't want to leave PS360 if they can help it, especially for a platform with historically crap third party performances. You have to realize that in addition to development costs come advertising, QA, etc and etc.

Nobody wants to pave the road on Wii U because PS360 are still strong sellers. Wii U has no immediate future due to Nintendo's own paltry release schedule. And even if it did, the future applies only to Nintendo.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
#5xChaosLordxPosted 5/2/2013 5:46:19 PM
Devs aren't too poor at all, most of them just have sound business interests, and that is to make a profit. And making exclusive content for the Wii-U isn't going to be seen by any sane business minded person as a worthwhile risk. Besides its Nintendo's job to market their console and sell it not the developers.
#6knightimex(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 8:02:49 PM
xChaosLordx posted...
Devs aren't too poor at all, most of them just have sound business interests, and that is to make a profit. And making exclusive content for the Wii-U isn't going to be seen by any sane business minded person as a worthwhile risk. Besides its Nintendo's job to market their console and sell it not the developers.

By this logic Xbox 360 would have been f***ed years ago...
---
#7AiddonPosted 5/2/2013 8:06:38 PM
sunK1D posted...
Short answer:

And what are the rules of this game of ball? Oh wait, there are none, just a bunch of devs throwing a hissy fit because they realized they've dug themselves into a hole due to letting budgets spin out of control.
#8lp913Posted 5/2/2013 8:07:50 PM
knightimex posted...
xChaosLordx posted...

By this logic Xbox 360 would have been f***ed years ago...

Exactly! With their first party support next to barren going on three gens now, how much longer is MS going to keep that up, especially having the most expensive online on top of the ill-rumored "always online" feature still running out there?
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#9darkqueenhelbaPosted 5/2/2013 8:41:17 PM
Aiddon posted...
sunK1D posted...
Short answer:

And what are the rules of this game of ball? Oh wait, there are none, just a bunch of devs throwing a hissy fit because they realized they've dug themselves into a hole due to letting budgets spin out of control.

Wow...someone that actually has a semi-comprehensive understanding of one of the major problems facing this industry. I'm shocked to find it on Gamefaqs.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#10knightimex(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 8:59:01 PM(edited)
Gamer X is whining because game A isn't 80 hours long.
Gamer Y is whining because game B lacks graphics.
Gamer Z because game C lacks online.
Casuals are too f***ing stupid to know the difference from a wii and wii u.
Core gamers are demanding way too much.
Hardcore hold too much price with entitlement.
PC master race is penny pinching like no tomorrow.

IMO
Gaming industry is taking a nose dive into hell like a boss.

Developers need to get their s*** together and make fun games. (Nintendo is already doing this so they are excluded)
People need to get their s*** together and just enjoy games.

/rage rant
---