With EA withdrawing support you have to wonder

#31DBPanterAPosted 5/5/2013 1:05:12 AM
DealerofTruths posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
ska_dude101 posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
ska_dude101 posted...
I think I read that Madden 13 U only sold 20,000 copies. Is that worth the extra dev cost to bring it to the Wii U? Probably not.

20,000 sales is a lot of money.

Madden NFL 13 (X360): 2.51 M units globally
Madden NFL 13 (PS3): 2.09 M units globally
Madden NFL 13 (Wii): .41 M units globally
Madden NFL 13 (Wii U): .03 M units globally

It's clearly not worth the extra dev costs to support a console worth .6% of your unit sales.

It is worth the dev cost actually...
A profit is a profit.

It juSt might not be the most profitable task you could set your devs to.

How do we know it is profitable? 20,000 sales at $60 a pop, is $1,200,000. How much does it cost to port and reconfigure a game? Hire people to special code any future patches or updates for each specific console. Have servers up and going for online play? i am willing to bet when everything is taken into account the profit margin is so minimal it really isn't worth the time and energy.

I just did extra research and it seems the average port cost about $1.2 million to do, ironically every dime they made so far..

Link of article with numbers. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Google Anatomy of a $60 Video Game. There was an article in the LA times in 2010 that breaks down where each dollar of a purchase goes. A company, such as EA, makes $30 from that sale. Using your math, they would need to sell 40,000 copies to break even, and they barely sell that.

A company such as Nintendo that makes their own games, however, will net around $37 per game as they do not have to pay a royalty fee to be on their own system.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#32PendragoonPosted 5/5/2013 7:03:32 AM
It really makes you wonder if even third parties have forgotten how console launches typically go? Blops2 sold over 100k on the U, giving it a similar attach rate to the 360 & PS3 versions, did Activision really expect every US Wii U owner to jump on yet another yearly CoD release?

Third Parties are going to be very disappointed this fall when their PS4 and 720 games fail to sell millions this Christmas...
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#33pikachupwnagePosted 5/5/2013 7:06:49 AM
Virus66 posted...
ska_dude101 posted...
I think I read that Madden 13 U only sold 20,000 copies. Is that worth the extra dev cost to bring it to the Wii U? Probably not.

It also came out far after every other console version and was missing a large chunk of the features available on the other consoles. Can you really blame consumers for not buying that version?

This.

Call of duty U suffered the same fate. Released after and it was clear they didn't really care.
---
Walharts. Low prices. Everyday. On Everything.
Official maribelle of the Fire emblem awakening board! Official pokemon fanboy of the NDF!
#34pikachupwnagePosted 5/5/2013 7:10:57 AM
And mass effect 3

"Lets give a bunch of people who never played the series the third game! So they have no idea what is going on. Oh and you can get all 3 mass effects on PS360 for the same price! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT WILL SHOW YOU NINTENDO!"
---
Walharts. Low prices. Everyday. On Everything.
Official maribelle of the Fire emblem awakening board! Official pokemon fanboy of the NDF!
#35jenraisPosted 5/5/2013 7:11:25 AM
EA is crap, good thing they aren't giving support.
#36RockD79Posted 5/5/2013 7:50:02 AM
deathslove posted...
RockD79 posted...
EA's lack of support has very little impact on Wii U. Can't say beyond the repetitive yearly sports titles will it miss much. Maybe ME4? Bummer. They'll live.

Dragon Age, BF4, dead space, there are a ton of EA games. Very sad to see people in such denial. Not to mention a ton of 3rd parties are not putting their ps3/360 games on the wii U, you really think they will put ps4/720 games (with much higher specs) if they aren't even putting ps3/360 games?

Exactly, like I said. It has very little impact.
---
Just Finished: Lego LOTR, Currently Playing: MH3U Next Up: ?