I like how it takes 3 hours to download and install a 700 MB system update.

#11DasDavidPosted 5/3/2013 1:52:21 PM
So either someone has slow internet or doesn't own the system... I'll go with the former because some people have said it took them that long and their connection was always to blame.
---
Final SSB4 prediction/wishlist before E3 2013
http://imgur.com/2a4A1An
#12sunK1DPosted 5/3/2013 1:52:31 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Took me less than an hour to download the update. My Wii U is just slightly slower than my PS3 when it comes to download times. My 360 is the fastest. Anyway, I can't complain about any of them.

It's that $40/y at work.
#13jounintPosted 5/3/2013 1:54:26 PM
Took me 20 minutes, but I have a 20mb connection.
---
3DS Friend Code: 279308000766
3DS Name: Tony
#14ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 2:00:13 PM(edited)
RetroFanGirl posted...
You have slow internet.

Speedtest of my slow Internet:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2686151793.png

So slow! It's totally my connection's fault!

*goes back to downloading 50 GB Blu-ray in 30 minutes from a provider with competent bandwidth*

160 Mbps = 20 MB/sec. 700 MB / 20 MB = 35. It should have taken me 35 seconds to download the 700 MB Wii U 3.0 update, not 3 hours. My connection's download speed is as fast as the Wii U's optical drive's read speed.

For the record, Nintendo isn't the only one that fails to saturate my connection, but they sure do fail the hardest. Steam's downloads can be pretty garbage too sometimes, particularly during Steam sales.

Golden Maven posted...
Just out of curiosity - What kind of connection are you using to your modem or router?

On the PlayStation 3, I tend to use an Ethernet cable or I'm limited to "g" wireless. I'm able to max out my connection.

Just wondering if Nintendo is being cheap with their servers or people aren't optimizing their connections.

I'm using the USB to ethernet adapter.

Wireless and I don't get along.
#15Zero280Posted 5/3/2013 2:03:50 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
RetroFanGirl posted...
You have slow internet.

Speedtest of my slow Internet:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2686151793.png

So slow! It's totally my connection's fault!

*goes back to downloading 50 GB Blu-ray in 30 minutes from a provider with competent bandwidth*

160 Mbps = 20 MB/sec. 700 MB / 20 MB = 35. It should have taken me 35 seconds to download the 700 MB Wii U 3.0 update, not 3 hours. My connection's download speed is as fast as the Wii U's optical drive's read speed.

For the record, Nintendo isn't the only one that fails to saturate my connection, but they sure do fail the hardest. Steam's downloads can be pretty garbage too sometimes, particularly during Steam sales.

Golden Maven posted...
Just out of curiosity - What kind of connection are you using to your modem or router?

On the PlayStation 3, I tend to use an Ethernet cable or I'm limited to "g" wireless. I'm able to max out my connection.

Just wondering if Nintendo is being cheap with their servers or people aren't optimizing their connections.

I'm using the USB to ethernet adapter.

Wireless and I don't get along.

yeah nice connection lol still that's really weird because with a 1.5mbps connection I managed to get it downloaded within an hour and 40mins on the first day.
---
3DS Friend Code 5069-3942-1786
#16Dark_Link92Posted 5/3/2013 2:05:02 PM
Mine did it in about 20 minutes.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#17MilesTeg420Posted 5/3/2013 2:09:45 PM
Mine took around an hour with a 50mbs internet connection. This was right when it released though, so peak download time probably.

No doubt that Nintendo's servers are extremely slow though.
#18picanoPosted 5/3/2013 2:10:25 PM
About 30 minutes here too.

And well, even if you have a good connection to a testing site --- that doesn't guarantee you'll have a good connection to Nintendo servers. Not only your connection but the connection of every hop along the way needs to be considered.
---
Shadow Kirby 3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-HmieoMk&fmt=22 Watch!
http://picanogfx.unotaku.com 3D Art and Catgirls!
#19Virus66Posted 5/3/2013 2:10:37 PM
RahzarX posted...
Virus66 posted...
I have a 3G connection. It's horribly unreliable for those who don't know and will quite frequently drop to dialup speeds... and I downloaded the update within 3 hours.

lol you have mobile internet? in your home? that you use on your consoles?

either that or you have no idea what 3G is.

No, I know perfectly what 3G is. There is nothing beyond dialup out where my folks live so they have a Sprint 3G dongle you plug into your computer via USB and it also broadcasts wifi so my consoles can pick up on it to. It's pretty crappy but it's better than the 56k dialup.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#20uberking422Posted 5/3/2013 2:10:54 PM
Only took me about an hour to download and install it. And I don't even pay for premium on my internet service.