Project CARS: I just realized something.

#41Maxx_the_SlashPosted 5/5/2013 5:12:11 PM(edited)
Accrovideogames posted...
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
The same way you play Mario Kart with digital buttons. Push it to drive, let go to slow down.

You're not worthy of being called a Sage. I am not going to fall for this troll and repeat what was said many times already in this topic.

1. No one calls me a Sage, nor do do I request it. I don't roleplay. I don't do that stupid ****.

2. I'm not a troll either. I've said many times here that I not only have and enjoy my Wii U, but with the rumors and presently known facts about the PS4 and 720, I don't plan on getting them unless those rumors are disproven and facts change.

3. I'm entirely serious about not needing analog triggers to enjoy a racing game. Seriously, who the **** cares? Project CARS isn't going to be a true racing simulation game even IF the Gamepad had analog triggers. It wouldn't be a true racing simulation game unless you use a racing wheel with gas and brake pedals. The other consoles aren't getting a true simulator out of Project CARS either because no car in real life has analog OR digital triggers that operate the gas and break pedals.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#42SolisPosted 5/5/2013 5:55:19 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
3. I'm entirely serious about not needing analog triggers to enjoy a racing game. Seriously, who the **** cares? Project CARS isn't going to be a true racing simulation game even IF the Gamepad had analog triggers. It wouldn't be a true racing simulation game unless you use a racing wheel with gas and brake pedals. The other consoles aren't getting a true simulator out of Project CARS either because no car in real life has analog OR digital triggers that operate the gas and break pedals.

But a controller with analog triggers would be much better suited to it than a controller without analog triggers, since they'd be able to replicate one of the major aspects of an actual racing wheel/pedal system (fully variable and independent gas/brake controls). Kinda like how no gamepad is going to replicate a mouse/keyboard when it comes to controlling an RTS game, but obviously an NES controller is going to be far less effective at it than an Xbox 360 controller would be.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#43Maxx_the_SlashPosted 5/5/2013 6:08:30 PM
Solis posted...
But a controller with analog triggers would be much better suited to it than a controller without analog triggers, since they'd be able to replicate one of the major aspects of an actual racing wheel/pedal system (fully variable and independent gas/brake controls). Kinda like how no gamepad is going to replicate a mouse/keyboard when it comes to controlling an RTS game, but obviously an NES controller is going to be far less effective at it than an Xbox 360 controller would be.

Yes, it would be better suited, but that doesn't mean digital triggers make the game unplayable. That's the point I'm making: Who cares? The game will still be playable. Analog triggers don't make the game any more realistic.

You need a racing wheel for that (which, I might add, the Wii U version will pretty much have since the Gamepad has a gyroscope so you can turn it like a wheel). I would think it's a fare trade-off: The Wii U port get's the gyroscopic wheel-like turning mechanic, but digital triggers for acceleration and breaking, while the other console ports get basic analog stick support, but with analog triggers.

Fair trade-off. So what's the problem?
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#44DTY3Posted 5/5/2013 6:10:59 PM
I prefer digital, as they feel way more comfortable for anything that isnt a racing sim.

But Nintendo still should have included them, because the world does not revolve around what I like.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#45AJ2412Posted 5/5/2013 6:54:21 PM
You do the same thing there too. Regardless of racing sim or arcade, you are trying to win....not maintain the speed limit. If you want to win you hold the button/trigger down until you want to slow down, then let off the gas, tap the brake, drift, slam on gas....

I lol'd when you mentioned drift. >_>
---
"The people who hate on Vuvuzela's are the ones who cant play them." -EvilmetalUK
http://i.imgur.com/7iLBp.png By QTx314159 .
#46SolisPosted 5/5/2013 7:04:57 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
Yes, it would be better suited, but that doesn't mean digital triggers make the game unplayable. That's the point I'm making: Who cares? The game will still be playable. Analog triggers don't make the game any more realistic.

You need a racing wheel for that (which, I might add, the Wii U version will pretty much have since the Gamepad has a gyroscope so you can turn it like a wheel). I would think it's a fare trade-off: The Wii U port get's the gyroscopic wheel-like turning mechanic, but digital triggers for acceleration and breaking, while the other console ports get basic analog stick support, but with analog triggers.

Fair trade-off. So what's the problem?

Playable sure, but not as good as it could be. I'd imagine that's important to someone that cares about the quality of the actual experience (especially if we're just comparing base costs without any extra hardware).

And the Playstation 3's controller allows you turn it like a wheel to control the vehicle as well, while also having analog triggers, so I'm not sure how not having analog triggers on the Wii U is really a "trade off". For that matter, are there even any racing wheels for the Wii U as good what's available for PS3 or Xbox 360?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#47DorotimusWitikPosted 5/5/2013 8:55:53 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...
You know, for 2D games nobody complained about it for the DS either. So your point is kind of moot.

Not every games were 2D platformers, many RPGs were from a top-down perspective, for example Super Mario RPG. By the way, your comment about the DS makes you sound very [word removed by a moderator or administrator] since many if not most DS games are in 3D.

You didn't comprehend my point. It's simple really. What you were originally saying was that as the controls 'improve', going backwards becomes awkward. But this is really only conditionally true. For so many games on DS, it doesn't really matter that you don't have an analog stick. It barely makes a difference in the Mario and Luigi games, it doesn't matter at all for any of the 2D platformers (in fact, analog sticks are generally a hindrance over D-pads for 2D platformers), it affects very few DS RPGs, and just about everything else on DS uses the touch screen anyway.

The same really follows true for GTA with the analog triggers. Did anyone really think the driving in GTA4 benefited so much over San Andreas simply because it used analog triggers? I know I didn't. I felt like I was able to get along a whole lot better just using the full acceleration all the time and a combination of square and R1 for controlling my breaking. I don't really feel like it helps that much in general. It was never needed for Mario Kart (or the SEGA racing game currently out on Wii U). At the end of the day it all really just depends on how the game was designed. Yeah, you probably can't get by in Forza without variable breaking and acceleration, because your breaks will lock on you and that sort of thing. But those things can be programmed around based on the limitations of your controls. And for a more serious racing game where that sort of skill really should matter, use a bloody steering wheel.
#48vidalmorazaPosted 5/5/2013 9:19:08 PM
I know that this isn't the Project CARS message board but that's because it doesn't exist since GameFAQs removed it for some stupid reason.

I've been excited about playing Project CARS on the Wii U after learning that it would have great GamePad functionality, optional gyro controls and Oculus Rift compatibility. However, I just realized that something was wrong: the GamePad lacks analog triggers. How the hell are you supposed to play a racing simulation game with digital triggers?

I have some racing games on the Wii U, well, one racing game and others with racing in them, and they work fine...

And Im a huge fan of racing sims, I have finished Forza 2, 3 and 4, played like 20 hours of GT5, did not liked it that much, Forza IMO is better....
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#49Lefty128kPosted 5/6/2013 12:16:52 AM
_Sovereign_ posted...
AJ2412 posted...
What racing games do you guys play where you either don't A go as fast as possible, or B tap the break if you need to slow down to turn.

Forza.

You do the same thing there too. Regardless of racing sim or arcade, you are trying to win....not maintain the speed limit. If you want to win you hold the button/trigger down until you want to slow down, then let off the gas, tap the brake, drift, slam on gas....

Drifting is slower than decelerating into a corner and accelerating out of it. That's a fact of driving physics and not an opinion and decent simulators will model that.
#50GencoilPosted 5/6/2013 12:22:18 AM
Hasn't anyone here played Gran Turismo 5? That game uses one of the analog sticks to control car speed.
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil