Who thinks it's going to be hard to top Super Mario Galaxy?

#111PrincessTiffPosted 5/6/2013 5:44:41 AM
My favorite game is SMG 1 so yes I think it will be hard.
#112kratozeroPosted 5/6/2013 5:53:13 AM
Impossible to top, SMG and SMG2 are the best Mario games ever without a question, only a SMG3/Super Mario Universe could and SHOULD follow.
---
Currently Playing: P4G, ZombiU and Last Story(WiiU)
On Queue: P3P, Catherine(Hard), Katamari Forever, Uncharted 3, Ni no Kuni, Motorstorm Apocalypse
#113SliceSabrePosted 5/6/2013 6:15:44 AM
I feel that Nintendo can top The Galaxies, but the question is how? I mean they were just go good and so much fun.

I didn't think it'd be possible for Galaxy 2 to even match the original, but it did, IMO. So its very possible for the next to get close.
---
@w@
Gamertag: SliceSabre
#114ArseenPosted 5/6/2013 6:15:44 AM
matty549 posted...
Mario 64 already topped Mario Galaxy...

This.

Mario 64 was pure platform playing enjoyment without the gimmick controls of Sunshine let alone Galaxy games.

The more game relays on gimmick controls the worse the game is as often the they constarte on the gimmicks at the cost of story and playing.
---
I AM THE TRUE PLAYER
#115TerotrousPosted 5/6/2013 6:40:06 AM
I don't think so, because there's many ways to design a 3D platformer. All they have to do to avoid the direct comparison is to take a slightly different route.

See Super Mario 64 or Super Mario 3D Land for examples.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#116pokemonfreak97Posted 5/6/2013 7:06:06 AM
I think they should take what Galaxy 1 and 2 did well (the gravity stuff, power-ups, separate worlds) and combine it with what the earlier 3D games did well (more exploration, ability to go back, better-hidden secrets).
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#117BringerOfPiePosted 5/6/2013 3:35:19 PM(edited)
I love Mario 64, but the game really does show its wear and tear nowadays. The camera is dreadful and the cause of 80% of your deaths in the game (especially in the final 4 stages in the game), and a lot of the star missions are way too quick and simple compared to those in the Galaxy games. Even on the N64, other 3D platformers like Banjo and Rayman have aged better.

In fact, I actually think Sunshine had the best camera in a 3D Mario game (excluding the pachinko stage, of course). It gave you full reign of the camera and it could be adjusted at any point to any angle. You weren't constantly fighting it like in SM64. Galaxy took away that full control, but luckily it rarely interfered with you so it wasn't a big deal.

I'm one of the few who prefers Galaxy 1 over Galaxy 2 (SMG2 was great but had too many comet missions and not enough standard missions in each stage), so yeah, it's gonna be a tough benchmark to top in my book. The waggle is honestly not noticeable at all in spite of the fact that you're using it every 5 seconds, which is what more Wii games should've been - motion controls that are vital but not intrusive.
#118stawg007Posted 5/7/2013 4:47:38 AM
I never played the original SMB, iv only played Galaxy, SMB wii , Mario kart wii and one of the karts on the DS

I'm sure SMB was revolutionary back then but that's irrelevant since I'm only talking about the ones iv played and yes, I thought they were and still are overrated milked garbage
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#119Sailor GoonPosted 5/7/2013 5:12:55 AM
SMG wasnt even that good of a game to begin with
---
"A laptop is a handheld console" - LOL_FAQ
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#120Lord_KagatoPosted 5/7/2013 6:23:59 AM
Yes. The original SMG was perfect. There's a reason why it's the number 1 rated game of all time.

The game was new and imaginative, the worlds were all different and each new "star" had a completely new spin on it rather than Mario 64 where almost every challenge is the exact same map, just going to a different area.

The bosses were fun, the music was fun, and the grand finale was amazing.

The only reason SMG2 wasn't as good is that it felt too much like the same thing, so it wasn't as imaginative. Also, the grand finale was much weaker (even if the battlefield and music says otherwise).

I'm sure in this next game, they'll get itas good as MG1 again. My only request, however, is that it takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom once again rather than IN SPAAAAAAAACE!
---
Watch my LPs and UMvC3's Courtroom Drama! - http://tinyurl.com/bo7nxnx
Current LPs: Majora's Mask, Fatal Frame 2, Persona 3 FES