According to DICE, Frostbite 2 ran on WIi U like sxxx

#1GdboyratedloudPosted 5/6/2013 8:09:32 PM
Johan Andersson ‏@repi 4h
@MutedPenguin FB3 has never been running on WiiU. We did some tests with not too promising results with FB2 & chose not to go down that path

Figured id post this before a troll does and then spins this.

How can that engine run on PS360 but not Wii U.

MutedPenguin ‏@MutedPenguin 4h
@repi I guess your "test" ended around the same time as the "unprecedented partnership".

Can we get intelligent conversation about this?
---
frank ocean ‏@frank_ocean
if the ps4 is finna drop- then i don't wanna hear any bs about consoles being a dead format and mobile takin over
#2deadANDrottedPosted 5/6/2013 8:16:23 PM
It just makes me wonder if they spent much time on it. Was it dumping the game onto the Wii U without optimizing it or actually trying? Does DICE even have anything else in the works that they have tried on it?

I'm not a huge fan of them but I have had some fun with their games. It's just to hard to tell how much they tinkered with the hardware or software to draw judgment.
#3TransdudePosted 5/6/2013 8:18:48 PM
Perhaps the engine couldn't run straight out of the box without heavy modification.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS Friend Code: 2750-1600-2747 | Nintendo Network ID: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#4Enigma149Posted 5/6/2013 8:19:29 PM
If I had to guess, it might have to do with the way the Wii U is designed, compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 were both designed to have the majority of the processing done by the CPU, with the GPU doing little more than graphics. Likewise, they both used rather fast CPUs running unusual architectures, such as the Cell architecture used in the PS3.

To compare, the Wii U is running a different model. In the Wii U, the CPU is considerably slower (but still more powerful) than that in the 7th Generation consoles; likewise, it is using an ARM architecture. The Wii U was designed to have the GPGPU doing most of the calculations. Neither of these things were present in the other systems.

Of course, this doesn't explain PCs. The Frostbite 2 engine can run on them just fine. Then again, PCs don't run on ARM (not counting Windows RT). It's highly likely that the engine was built for the x86 architecture and ported to the other architectures, with the more traditional fast CPU-as-main-processor setup in mind; as a result, it was poorly optimized for the Wii U (and would also be poorly optimized for some newer PCs that have a similar CPU/GPU setup as the Wii U, but the increased power of those PCs should help make up for the difference).

Of course, these are all my guesses, and many may be wrong.
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#5Schwepps01Posted 5/6/2013 8:20:13 PM
deadANDrotted posted...
It just makes me wonder if they spent much time on it. Was it dumping the game onto the Wii U without optimizing it or actually trying? Does DICE even have anything else in the works that they have tried on it?

I'm not a huge fan of them but I have had some fun with their games. It's just to hard to tell how much they tinkered with the hardware or software to draw judgment.

No of course not. All developers are lazy bastards who secretly hate the Wii U. There's no way the Wii U could be developer unfriendly.
---
#6PendragoonPosted 5/6/2013 8:21:53 PM
If all they did was dump the PS3 code then it running like crap is understandable, but the 360 code would have ran fairly well with minimal work. They also failed to answer when they did this. Odds are it was back in early 2012 long before the hardware was even finalized.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#7spacejamjordanzPosted 5/6/2013 8:24:43 PM
It might have more to do with the console's architecture versus how the Frostbite engine was actually designed.
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II>
#8Gdboyratedloud(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 8:25:31 PM
Enigma149 posted...
If I had to guess, it might have to do with the way the Wii U is designed, compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 were both designed to have the majority of the processing done by the CPU, with the GPU doing little more than graphics. Likewise, they both used rather fast CPUs running unusual architectures, such as the Cell architecture used in the PS3.

To compare, the Wii U is running a different model. In the Wii U, the CPU is considerably slower (but still more powerful) than that in the 7th Generation consoles; likewise, it is using an ARM architecture. The Wii U was designed to have the GPGPU doing most of the calculations. Neither of these things were present in the other systems.

Of course, this doesn't explain PCs. The Frostbite 2 engine can run on them just fine. Then again, PCs don't run on ARM (not counting Windows RT). It's highly likely that the engine was built for the x86 architecture and ported to the other architectures, with the more traditional fast CPU-as-main-processor setup in mind; as a result, it was poorly optimized for the Wii U (and would also be poorly optimized for some newer PCs that have a similar CPU/GPU setup as the Wii U, but the increased power of those PCs should help make up for the difference).

Nice explanation.
---
frank ocean &#8207;@frank_ocean
if the ps4 is finna drop- then i don't wanna hear any bs about consoles being a dead format and mobile takin over
#9deadANDrottedPosted 5/6/2013 8:26:26 PM
Schwepps01 posted...
deadANDrotted posted...

No of course not. All developers are lazy bastards who secretly hate the Wii U. There's no way the Wii U could be developer unfriendly.

Really?

I didn't mean it that way. Just based off of TC's info it sounds like they gave it a quick shot it didn't work and they said forget it. My questions are asking if anybody knows if they have tried with multiple games. You know kinda like how some games run better on a 360 than a PS3 and vice versa. I'm not bashing the revs, just looking for more info regarding the topic.
#10PendragoonPosted 5/6/2013 8:27:24 PM
Enigma149 posted...

The Wii U runs on a IBM Power PC CPU, the 360 CPU and the Cell are also IBM designs. (With the 360 CPU being based on the Cell's SPUs) The Wii U chip is based on a server CPU and processes a lot of info per cycle. The Wii CPU was 80% of one 360 core even with the slower clock speeds, and all it was, was a overclocked GCN CPU. The Wii U CPU is much more advanced.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709