Any chance Nintendo throws Atari 2600 games on the VC?

#1iKhanicPosted 5/6/2013 9:21:21 PM
That would be awesome, but given that the "Atari" name has floated around everywhere and several incarnations of the company were shut down, I have a feeling most of the company's rights are in limbo right now.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2AJReiersonPosted 5/6/2013 10:06:18 PM
Unlikely. Perhaps some of the third party games from Activision and the like (kind of like MS did with Game Room), but who the hell knows who owns the rights to the first party titles these days. They mostly stopped bringing games from non-Nintendo consoles too the Wii VC after the first few years (a huge missed opportunity in my opinion), so it's unlikely they'd invest time in effort in porting any Atari games. A shame, because Nintendo could really win over the retro community this way. It's a niche market, but one that is mostly older and has more disposable income. It could definitely sell a few systems, something we all know Nintendo definitely needs.
---
I write about video games at Retrovolve.com and GeekParty.com! Check them out!
#3Breastmilkn_DipPosted 5/6/2013 11:31:57 PM
What an absolutely s****y idea.

If such a thing were to come to fruition, I take it then that this "awesome" gimmick...

(and that's all it would ever be, a gimmick; a monicker that Nintendo could well do without wouldn't you say?)

...would be the feature that you'd tout proudly to folks when eulogising the virtues of an 8th generation HD console. I genuinely feel embarrassed for you, I really do.

This topic is a good example of the conditioning effects of today's 'austerity gaming' and provides another 'insight' into this board's proclivity for taking one step forward and three back.

Lack and paucity prevail in the present so, once again, the dim and distant past is the first and only 'go to' destination to be strip-mined to help fill the void.
-
--
---
lysa_tully.nom
#4Schwepps01Posted 5/7/2013 12:41:52 AM
Breastmilkn_Dip posted...

If such a thing were to come to fruition, I take it then that this "awesome" gimmick...

(and that's all it would ever be, a gimmick; a monicker that Nintendo could well do without wouldn't you say?)

...would be the feature that you'd tout proudly to folks when eulogising the virtues of an 8th generation HD console. I genuinely feel embarrassed for you, I really do.
---

LOL. This is funny, yet a little sad because it's actually 100% true. About the only thing the Wii U can do is play old games. And something novel like Atari 2600 games instead of, say, NEW games, would likely be the pride and joy of Nintendo fans. I can actually see it now. "Hooray! We're getting Kaboom AND Asteroids this week! Only 4 dollars a pop! Take that, Sony!" These people are incurable.
---
#5Board_hunter567Posted 5/7/2013 12:58:37 AM
They manage to sell these games for $1 a piece on mobile, might as well.

Regardless, somebody will end up selling a collection or volume of them like they do every gen.
#6iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 2:43:09 AM

This topic is a good example of the conditioning effects of today's 'austerity gaming' and provides another 'insight' into this board's proclivity for taking one step forward and three back.

Lack and paucity prevail in the present so, once again, the dim and distant past is the first and only 'go to' destination to be strip-mined to help fill the void.
-
--

This topic isn't about what's appealing for Nintendo's console, its about playing games that haven't been in production for 30 years.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#7demonlord6696Posted 5/7/2013 3:06:37 AM
Schwepps01 posted...

---

LOL. This is funny, yet a little sad because it's actually 100% true. About the only thing the Wii U can do is play old games. And something novel like Atari 2600 games instead of, say, NEW games, would likely be the pride and joy of Nintendo fans. I can actually see it now. "Hooray! We're getting Kaboom AND Asteroids this week! Only 4 dollars a pop! Take that, Sony!" These people are incurable.

LMAO, so true.
#8Rev0luti0nN0wPosted 5/7/2013 3:09:56 AM
What if they made the games $1 each...

And included games like that Custard game :p
---
PC: 2500k, 16 gb ram, 7970, 3 tb/2tb/128 gb samsung 830/6 monitor eyefinity
PSN: Zellio2010 NintendoID: Zellio2013
#9Breastmilkn_DipPosted 5/7/2013 4:14:14 AM
iKhanic posted...

-
--

This topic isn't about what's appealing for Nintendo's console

Nooo, of course not, iKhanic. Your topic title is just some weird typo and you were aiming for the Atari boards but somehow missed.

Speaking of aim, the obvious and tacky goal of your response is on a par with just about any actress starring in the 'No *** Dodging Allowed' series of adult flicks; ie, all about saving face.

#thatcustardgameindeed
-
--
---
lysa_tully.nom
#10Petey_MeanisPosted 5/7/2013 5:31:27 AM
I enjoyed the Atari Collections on the DS. I would buy a couple of Atari classics for $1 each on Wii U VC.
---
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage. NNID : Meaty_Petey
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif