Xenoblade 2 coming to wii u in december?

#31SocranPosted 5/9/2013 1:43:47 AM(edited)
noutBr posted...
Socran posted...
Well yes, but that qualifies it as a "spiritual successor", not a sequel. Like, it's obviously gonna be called Xenosomething, and it has a similar battle system "because it's the next game in the Xeno series". But that's not quite the same as being "Xenoblade 2".

How do you know it is not a direct sequel to Xenoblade? Everything we've seen points very strongly to a direct sequel.

- Similar Battle System, even with similar icons and a similar tri-attack icon.
- Same graphical style with a familiar style in world design
- A Character that looks exactly like Shulk (hair, eye color, face shape) is shown right at the end of the trailer. Monolith knows that the character looks very much like Shulk and to put such a character right at the end of a trailer that looks and feels like a sequel to Xenoblade was no accident.

That doesn't mean it will feature the same characters, the character in the trailer could be a descendant of Shulk. It just means that it probably takes place in the same world/universe as Xenoblade, which still gives the designers all the freedom to do what they want.

I'm not saying it IS a sequel but all the signs definitely point to it being one.

I never said it specifically wasn't a sequel, just that all evidence we currently have is circumstantial and incomplete, so we should refrain from saying "Xenoblade 2" until we hear something official.

- The battle system is similar, sure, but the same could be said for the various Final Fantasy games that took place in different settings. It's all but guaranteed that the game will be called Xenosomething, after all.
- The graphical style is... actually very different. Most notable is the fact that it has a different character designer altogether. You'll notice the characters in the trailer are a lot more remniscent of characters from Xenogears and Xenosaga than Xenoblade. But that's as irrelevant as the similarities, as it's simply a matter of who the artist is.
- The character does not look exactly like Shulk. There are some similarities, but they're all traits that were generic to begin with, and there are major differences in the details (which could simply be explained by the fact that... well, the game's more detailed). But the biggest difference, as Phantomile pointed out, is what appears to be a different eye color. (Also, Phantomile, you included a spoiler in your post. I won't repeat what it was, but... maybe put it in tags for the people who haven't played far enough into the game.) Of course, this could be a simple case of continuity error, or a really bad camera angle.

My point is, it's all circumstantial, and we shouldn't be saying anything one way or another - especially for the sake of people who don't know enough to decide for themselves. Hence my preference for just calling it "X" for now.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#32RyuVegasPosted 5/9/2013 2:05:16 AM
Pendragoon posted...
Reggie said that it was coming to the US shortly after the Feb Direct. It was all over the boards at the time. He specifically said they wanted to avoid another Operation Rainfall.

Does no one else understand the rammifactions if this is true? OPERATION RAINFALL WORKED! Do this s*** more often guys. >_>
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: Portal 2, 3DS Games
'I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you.' ~ XImperialDragon
#33SocranPosted 5/9/2013 2:16:41 AM
RyuVegas posted...
Pendragoon posted...
Reggie said that it was coming to the US shortly after the Feb Direct. It was all over the boards at the time. He specifically said they wanted to avoid another Operation Rainfall.

Does no one else understand the rammifactions if this is true? OPERATION RAINFALL WORKED! Do this s*** more often guys. >_>

I think Earthbound is proof enough that this stuff works. Especially when they specifically showed off pictures of people on Miiverse clamoring for it.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#34noutBrPosted 5/9/2013 3:55:05 AM
Socran posted...
I never said it specifically wasn't a sequel, just that all evidence we currently have is circumstantial and incomplete, so we should refrain from saying "Xenoblade 2" until we hear something official.

- The battle system is similar, sure, but the same could be said for the various Final Fantasy games that took place in different settings. It's all but guaranteed that the game will be called Xenosomething, after all.
- The graphical style is... actually very different. Most notable is the fact that it has a different character designer altogether. You'll notice the characters in the trailer are a lot more remniscent of characters from Xenogears and Xenosaga than Xenoblade. But that's as irrelevant as the similarities, as it's simply a matter of who the artist is.
- The character does not look exactly like Shulk. There are some similarities, but they're all traits that were generic to begin with, and there are major differences in the details (which could simply be explained by the fact that... well, the game's more detailed). But the biggest difference, as Phantomile pointed out, is what appears to be a different eye color. (Also, Phantomile, you included a spoiler in your post. I won't repeat what it was, but... maybe put it in tags for the people who haven't played far enough into the game.) Of course, this could be a simple case of continuity error, or a really bad camera angle.

My point is, it's all circumstantial, and we shouldn't be saying anything one way or another - especially for the sake of people who don't know enough to decide for themselves. Hence my preference for just calling it "X" for now.

I stand corrected about the art style and the eye color. It was a long time ago since I saw a comparison between Shulk and that character in the trailer so I must have remembered it wrong.

However, I think I just phrased what I meant in the wrong way. The entire style of the game we saw in the trailer is very reminiscent of Xenoblade in a lot of ways, not just the battle system but the overall vibe. But the most important thing to take away from the appearance of the Shulk or Shulk look-a-like in the trailer is actually more of a question to ask yourself.

Why would Monolith announce a completely new game or spiritual successor and put so much focus on one character that looks eerily like the Main Character from their previous game?

Everything we see in the trailer has been carefully thought out and planned and they know very well that showing a character with such a close resemblance to Shulk means everyone will assume it IS a sequel in some way or another. Imagine if FFVIII was first showed with a Squall that looks almost exactly like Cloud.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#35RiaanYsterPosted 5/9/2013 4:16:05 AM
MyPhantomile posted...
noutBr posted...
Socran posted...
Well yes, but that qualifies it as a "spiritual successor", not a sequel. Like, it's obviously gonna be called Xenosomething, and it has a similar battle system "because it's the next game in the Xeno series". But that's not quite the same as being "Xenoblade 2".

How do you know it is not a direct sequel to Xenoblade? Everything we've seen points very strongly to a direct sequel.

- Similar Battle System, even with similar icons and a similar tri-attack icon.
- Same graphical style with a familiar style in world design
- A Character that looks exactly like Shulk (hair, eye color, face shape) is shown right at the end of the trailer. Monolith knows that the character looks very much like Shulk and to put such a character right at the end of a trailer that looks and feels like a sequel to Xenoblade was no accident.

That doesn't mean it will feature the same characters, the character in the trailer could be a descendant of Shulk. It just means that it probably takes place in the same world/universe as Xenoblade, which still gives the designers all the freedom to do what they want.

I'm not saying it IS a sequel but all the signs definitely point to it being one.

I'm inclined to thinking the characters are Xenoblade's children. The girl with white hair fires a gun which can transform into a shield and bash the enemy. Not only that, but she can fire ether bullets. Combining two traits may suggest Sharla and Reyn?

The man at the end looks a lot like Shulk due to his hair, but he also has green eyes. Fiora had green eyes too. Maybe he's the son of Fiora and Shulk? Who knows.

I agree though. I'm inclined to thinking it's a sequel to Xenoblade. Vast oceans, mech and what appears to be ether all come into play. If it's not a sequel, it won't bother me too much. The game looks fantastic and I'm sure the story will be top notch too.

I totally agree with that. i don't see the point of showing a face at the end, if it's not related ot anything. No new games, without any reference to anything that's ever been done before, simply shows a characters face at the climax of the trailer.

They showed shulk/shulks offspring or whatever it is, for a reason i feel. And that reason is to create a connection with the first game however it might be.

Personally, a follow up with new characters, but set in the same world, or the next world would be great. To be quite honest, i dont care what they do with it. It will be awesome, and it will be very impressive.
#36SocranPosted 5/9/2013 5:09:57 AM(edited)
RiaanYster posted...
i don't see the point of showing a face at the end, if it's not related ot anything. No new games, without any reference to anything that's ever been done before, simply shows a characters face at the climax of the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3YEIP_WBY

It's... kind of the most common way of showing off a non-main character, old or new, in any trailer. Though it's usually reserved for villains, I doubt that's the case here.
---