Your Reaction: Nintendo's 9th Gen Console Will Go Back To Using Cartridges

#31FayeLadyPosted 5/8/2013 11:29:45 AM
Not unless its some sort of handheld/Console hybrid, which would not be unexpected.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#32Baha05Posted 5/8/2013 11:31:12 AM
Most likely "Wtf?" unless they are using carts similar to the 3DS/Vita and not only have the cart technology gotten better but the games themselves are cheaper.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#33Virus66Posted 5/8/2013 11:36:12 AM
Storing games on a 32gb flash card isn't completely unreasonable.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#34CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/8/2013 11:38:50 AM
A thought to chip in here...

Games are likely going to continue to become more and more expensive.
As they become more and more valuable, it makes sense to begin storing them on more a more reliable medium.

It also reduces the need for internal system storage, and data management, which IMO Really really drastically take away from the experience of plug and play.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#35ElectricMolePosted 5/8/2013 11:39:28 AM
I would like that very much.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#36rafiiillaPosted 5/8/2013 2:26:58 PM
Yes, please!

Pros:
- Slimmer and smaller packages for games
- Reduce console's size, noise, heat and power consumption
- Reduce the need of having huge internal HDDs
- Reduce the risk of piracy (if they avoid common SD, MicroSD, etc)
- Adaptable console as SNES (put extra hardware on the game to enhance performance)

Cons:
- Manufacture costs
- Read/write wearing (if not used in proper storage devices)

There are a lot of plus, so I think the only thing technology needs to reach is an affordable price point
---
NNID: rafiiilla
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk3xxrWmyk1qj8d3jo1_500.gif
#37mjc0961Posted 5/8/2013 2:32:56 PM
Paddle008 posted...
Instead of the disc could not be read: "There is nothing inserted in the Game Card slot." The 3DS is very finicky with DS games.

No it's not, you probably just took poor care of your DS games or 3DS. I've never had a problem and neither have tons of other people.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#38ZBug_Posted 5/8/2013 2:37:40 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
New Link posted...
Solid state storage cartridges? Yes please.

Heck, with the SNES they added in the SuperFX processor within the games themselves (those that required it). They could easily do the same with a modern cpu/gpu inside the new carts allowing the system to be fine tuned to the games if necessary

I agree with this. The most creative and unique console hardware was during the cartridge age because of all the things they did to work with limitations and not complain about them.

This.
I'd actually be excited to see the return of cartridges
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#39FayeLadyPosted 5/8/2013 2:45:59 PM
Virus66 posted...
Storing games on a 32gb flash card isn't completely unreasonable.

For cost reasons it doesn't make much sense. A bluray costs all of 5 cents per Gigabyte these days
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#40GQVikesFanPosted 5/8/2013 2:48:45 PM
I would welcome a cartridge based Nintendo system with open arms. It would be more reliable than these disc based systems. Heck, my N64 still works with no issues unlike the RROD of the 360's and the YLOD of the PS3.