Interesting read of EA's unprecented partership

#11icarus231Posted 5/8/2013 5:59:10 AM
Pigfarts posted...
IcedEarthaholic posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
You don't seem to understand that line, Faye. The article means that from a gameplay perspective, there's really nothing the PS4 and next Xbox won't be able to do, that the Wii U can't do. And to be honest, I don't see how they can either. The PS4 is essentially a PS3 on steroids as far as actual gameplay goes. Oh, and I guess the controller has a touch-pad... and you can see your health displayed on it in Killzone 4... yeah... the Wii U's gamepad can do that and much more, so that's kinda irrelevant.

Gameplay-wise, the PS4 doesn't seem to be able to be capable of running games that the 360 or PS3 cannot do. And this is because raw power these days can't add much more to the gameplay.

I completely agree, the only thing the PS4 has going for it is prettier graphics and more physics, and that's IT! There's jack **** about it that interests me from an innovation standpoint. Aside from the power, what does it offer that the Wii U can't do gameplay wise? Oh that's right, nothing!

prettier graphics and more physics, and that's IT!...thats all there is, gameplay is can as far as the developers want to take it. graphics and physics are limited to the hardware. So in reality its the Ps4 can do anything the Wii U can (if you include vita integration), but the Wii U can only do a subset of what the ps4 can.

Vita integration will never be as efficient as the wii u. More lag will kill that and who will buy both?
#12IcedEarthaholicPosted 5/8/2013 6:00:51 AM
icarus231 posted...

Vita integration will never be as efficient as the wii u. More lag will kill that and who will buy both?

This, and check out the video I just posted dude, let;s get the word out and expose EA for the hypocrisy and double standards.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#13FayeLadyPosted 5/8/2013 6:13:07 AM
You don't seem to understand that line, Faye. The article means that from a gameplay perspective, there's really nothing the PS4 and next Xbox won't be able to do, that the Wii U can't do. And to be honest, I don't see how they can either. The PS4 is essentially a PS3 on steroids as far as actual gameplay goes. Oh, and I guess the controller has a touch-pad... and you can see your health displayed on it in Killzone 4... yeah... the Wii U's gamepad can do that and much more, so that's kinda irrelevant.

Gameplay-wise, the PS4 doesn't seem to be able to be capable of running games that the 360 or PS3 cannot do. And this is because raw power these days can't add much more to the gameplay.

I would still disagree.
We got a lot of talk like that when the original Wii came out. People assumed it would get the same type of games minus modern graphics.

Even if what you say is true, and the PS4 is nothing more than a PS3 on steroids. If we follow that logic there was nothing that could be done on a 360 or a PS3 that could not be done on a Wii, yet things never came to fruition that way. Many of the games that ended up being Wii exclusive did use motion controls in ways you could not on the other systems (Lets Tap, No more Heroes), however, the real loss were games that would have worked fine (better)on the other systems but remained on Nintendo systems for political reasons (Xenoblade, TLS).

I'm not saying the gamepad is irrelevant, but as in input type it isnt very immersive. Give me a higher level of immersion not one that consistently breaks it by reminding me its a toy. That may be a tall order, but it it possible. As of now the gamepad is a tool, wheras a dualshock 3 is more like an extension of myself, which makes the characters and extension of that. I expect the PS4 and Xbox to be more like that, and while you are free to disagree that its is better, you can't disagree that its different.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#14icarus231Posted 5/8/2013 6:38:39 AM
FayeLady posted...

I would still disagree.
We got a lot of talk like that when the original Wii came out. People assumed it would get the same type of games minus modern graphics.

Even if what you say is true, and the PS4 is nothing more than a PS3 on steroids. If we follow that logic there was nothing that could be done on a 360 or a PS3 that could not be done on a Wii, yet things never came to fruition that way. Many of the games that ended up being Wii exclusive did use motion controls in ways you could not on the other systems (Lets Tap, No more Heroes), however, the real loss were games that would have worked fine (better)on the other systems but remained on Nintendo systems for political reasons (Xenoblade, TLS).

I'm not saying the gamepad is irrelevant, but as in input type it isnt very immersive. Give me a higher level of immersion not one that consistently breaks it by reminding me its a toy. That may be a tall order, but it it possible. As of now the gamepad is a tool, wheras a dualshock 3 is more like an extension of myself, which makes the characters and extension of that. I expect the PS4 and Xbox to be more like that, and while you are free to disagree that its is better, you can't disagree that its different.

Where do you think this higher level of immersion will come from on these systems. Wii u has already shown good examples of new immersion of games with the gamepad. That will not be possible on the other systems without additional peripherals.
#15DoomsSDPosted 5/8/2013 6:45:00 AM
A very interesting read that mostly backs up what I suspected about EA and their back tracking from their previous E3 claims of unparalled support to where we are now with them more or less being like "did we say the wii u was next gen? well uh what we really meant to say was that next gen is whatever is currently convenient for us to acknowledge at the time. blahBSblah"

I'm glad Nintendo weren't having thier origins BS and give credit to them sticking to their guns. EA tried to throw the Wii U under a bus by taking back their previous support and it only makes them look untrustworthy.
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#16nonexistingheroPosted 5/8/2013 6:53:06 AM
I wasn't talking about 'immersion'. I was talking about the Gamepad adding to the gameplay in a significant way. Meanwhile, the PS4 seems to focus on immersion through pushing graphics that just require a lot of power. Can't really speak for the next Xbox yet, but if Illumniroom and Kinect 2.0 is all that they're offering, then they're not exactly focusing on adding to the gameplay either.

Yeah, you can play PS4 games while they're still downloading... it reduces waiting time, but doesn't enhance gameplay. Yes, PS4 records footage for up to 15 minutes automatically... yes, interesting, but it doesn't enhance gameplay. PS4 can be connected to your existing social networks... doesn't enhance gameplay either. Basically, all the new features the PS4 has focus on aspects outside of enhancing the gameplay.

Meanwhile, the Gamepad has gotten some pretty innovative uses already and there seems to be many more to come. And even if developers don't really want to focus on specific Gamepad features, they can still easily use it as a second screen for a map or to display items. And of course, just playing the game on the Gamepad screen.

Aside from these things, the Wii was extremely underpowered compared to the competition. This is not the case with the Wii U. Like I said before, we've hit a wall in the PS3/360 generation and there's not much more that pushing graphical power can do for the gameplay. Just larger environments, more details, more objects/people and physics calculations... it takes more than that to really enhance gameplay, since the current consoles are already capable of veyr large environments, tons of details and tons of physics calculations... the Wii U moreso than the 360 and PS3.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#17UponADarkThornePosted 5/8/2013 9:48:15 AM
Pigfarts posted...

IS this a joke, they can easily make a dynasty warrior game, put 100 enemies on the screen at once and Wii U can not handle it anymore. (1oo is abitary number perhaps its 200 or 300). Its just different power level in what the hardware can handle

and its not only game its also physics of a game, hell even witch 3, looks like a early release title for ps4 and Wii U probably can't handle it.

Eh. If CD Projekt Red wanted to, I'm sure they could get Witcher 3 to run on the Wii U. Mind you, it's not because the Wii U is a behemoth, but because when it comes to getting the most out of a system or an engine, the company is fantastic at that.

The first Witcher was made with the same engine that the first Neverwinter Nights was made from and considered the most beautiful games on the market when it came out.

Likewise, the intro movie (and the in game graphics itself) of Witcher 2 pushed the 360 to new levels. You had borderline PC level graphics in that intro movie - that's how good it was.

Now, I don't expect them to feel that it is worth it, for them to develop on as sales of third party games tend to be **** on a Nintendo system.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#18GoldenJoe24Posted 5/8/2013 10:14:52 AM
That was a great article. He even linked back to EAs old press.
#19ballermat982Posted 5/8/2013 10:22:35 AM
Great summary of EA's complete incompetence in the industry. I don't buy many EA games but they just seem like a total mess of a company. They have no one to blame but themselves.
#20JackalPosted 5/8/2013 10:52:59 AM
Nice article. Make EA sound like the Old Republic of Nintendo. They are doing a lot of things that people aren't liking but how much will it affect the sale of games that people just love to play? I know that I'd buy Dead Space 4 on release day myself (it's actually made by Visceral). They are behaving like bratty kids but we'll have to wait and see how things turn out.

Oh, just because there are 3.45 million Wii U's "sold" doesn't mean that developers will sell 3.45 million copies of their games. You know that won't even happen with Nintendo franchises.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz