Interesting read of EA's unprecented partership

#31PaukenPosted 5/8/2013 1:30:14 PM
To the silly people saying Wii U will match the PS4 and 720 for what games it can possibly play:

Let's see the Wii U play Planetside 2. It's just too high end for the PS3 and 360 to run, such that it's currently a PC exclusive. Even the PS4 would have trouble running it, as my PC, despite being a few years old, actually has better specs than the PS4, and STILL can't run it at more than 30 frames per second due to the game's insanely demanding graphics, physics, and overall code.

Sure, optimization might get it running on the PS4 at the same speed, but no amount of optimization will ever get Planetside 2 to run at more than 5 frames per second on the Wii U...if it runs at all. There's a reason it's currently exclusive to PCs; nothing else can handle it currently, and the PS4 probably would have a mild stroke if it tried to render the full maps.

Note that this post isn't in defense of the PS4 or 720; both of those would have trouble running Planetside 2, as well, optimization or not. I'm just pointing out that there ARE games that will not run on any consoles currently out there, and are so high end that even the next gen consoles would asplode if they tried to run them.
#32SeroguehPosted 5/8/2013 1:32:48 PM
Asuir posted...
UponADarkThorne posted...
Pigfarts posted...

IS this a joke, they can easily make a dynasty warrior game, put 100 enemies on the screen at once and Wii U can not handle it anymore. (1oo is abitary number perhaps its 200 or 300). Its just different power level in what the hardware can handle

and its not only game its also physics of a game, hell even witch 3, looks like a early release title for ps4 and Wii U probably can't handle it.

Eh. If CD Projekt Red wanted to, I'm sure they could get Witcher 3 to run on the Wii U. Mind you, it's not because the Wii U is a behemoth, but because when it comes to getting the most out of a system or an engine, the company is fantastic at that.

The first Witcher was made with the same engine that the first Neverwinter Nights was made from and considered the most beautiful games on the market when it came out.

Likewise, the intro movie (and the in game graphics itself) of Witcher 2 pushed the 360 to new levels. You had borderline PC level graphics in that intro movie - that's how good it was.

Now, I don't expect them to feel that it is worth it, for them to develop on as sales of third party games tend to be **** on a Nintendo system.

Really? Witcher 2 ran on the first NN's engine? That's unbelievable if it's true.

The Witcher 2 didn't run on the same engine as NN, it was the first witcher game that did.
---
That guy is a maniac! Why'd he bite me?!
#33DiscostewSMPosted 5/8/2013 1:49:00 PM
Pauken posted...
To the silly people saying Wii U will match the PS4 and 720 for what games it can possibly play:

Let's see the Wii U play Planetside 2. It's just too high end for the PS3 and 360 to run, such that it's currently a PC exclusive. Even the PS4 would have trouble running it, as my PC, despite being a few years old, actually has better specs than the PS4, and STILL can't run it at more than 30 frames per second due to the game's insanely demanding graphics, physics, and overall code.

Sure, optimization might get it running on the PS4 at the same speed, but no amount of optimization will ever get Planetside 2 to run at more than 5 frames per second on the Wii U...if it runs at all. There's a reason it's currently exclusive to PCs; nothing else can handle it currently, and the PS4 probably would have a mild stroke if it tried to render the full maps.

Note that this post isn't in defense of the PS4 or 720; both of those would have trouble running Planetside 2, as well, optimization or not. I'm just pointing out that there ARE games that will not run on any consoles currently out there, and are so high end that even the next gen consoles would asplode if they tried to run them.

So, your example to show that Wii U would not be able to handle something the PS4 does, even downscaled, is a game that you say would not even run well on the PS4? That says more about how limited the PS4 is compared to the Wii U, as it puts them both into the same ballpark; unable to do something the PC does.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#34mjc0961Posted 5/8/2013 2:55:21 PM
IcedEarthaholic posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
You don't seem to understand that line, Faye. The article means that from a gameplay perspective, there's really nothing the PS4 and next Xbox won't be able to do, that the Wii U can't do. And to be honest, I don't see how they can either. The PS4 is essentially a PS3 on steroids as far as actual gameplay goes. Oh, and I guess the controller has a touch-pad... and you can see your health displayed on it in Killzone 4... yeah... the Wii U's gamepad can do that and much more, so that's kinda irrelevant.

Gameplay-wise, the PS4 doesn't seem to be able to be capable of running games that the 360 or PS3 cannot do. And this is because raw power these days can't add much more to the gameplay.

I completely agree, the only thing the PS4 has going for it is prettier graphics and more physics, and that's IT! There's jack **** about it that interests me from an innovation standpoint. Aside from the power, what does it offer that the Wii U can't do gameplay wise? Oh that's right, nothing!

Thanks for quoting him so I can remember why I have him on my ignore list. Yes, you will totally be able to see your health displayed on a touch PAD that has absolutely no screen or other display functionality whatsoever.

Ah well, what do you expect from someone who writes fanfics about Sonic?
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#35Dark_AbaddonPosted 5/8/2013 3:16:38 PM
interesting read, thanks for posting.
---
and thus concludes my post.
#36KouramaPosted 5/8/2013 5:10:01 PM
Thanks for linking that article. Great read.
#37SychinLegacyPosted 5/8/2013 5:21:25 PM
The people who complain about Wii U specs while saying how the PS4/720 are going to be powerhouses baffle me. It's like a bike company laughing at another bike company because their bike can travel slightly faster. Meanwhile the people that have to travel buy cars.
#38FayeLadyPosted 5/8/2013 5:27:53 PM
SychinLegacy posted...
The people who complain about Wii U specs while saying how the PS4/720 are going to be powerhouses baffle me. It's like a bike company laughing at another bike company because their bike can travel slightly faster. Meanwhile the people that have to travel buy cars.

Seems like reasonable discussion for biking enthusiasts.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#39SychinLegacyPosted 5/8/2013 5:30:05 PM
FayeLady posted...
SychinLegacy posted...

Not really since biking enthusiasts will simply buy the brand of bike that is their favorite and ride it leisurely instead of complaining about one brand not being hardcore enough.
#40zatOMGPosted 5/8/2013 5:35:15 PM
SychinLegacy posted...
FayeLady posted...
SychinLegacy posted...

Not really since biking enthusiasts will simply buy the brand of bike that is their favorite and ride it leisurely instead of complaining about one brand not being hardcore enough.

Haha, word!