Some questions prior to purchasing...

#1DralekathPosted 5/8/2013 8:45:50 AM
I love JRPGs
That being said, Will this console be seeing a lot of them?
I have a 360 at the moment and it's not quite popular with them at all.

I've read where the Wii will "brick" is that a common occurrence?

Just how awesome is Monster Hunter 3 U?

Thanks
#2WolfAlmightyPosted 5/8/2013 8:49:18 AM
1) XBox, from what I understand, is not popular in Japan, therefore not many JRPGs would be released on it.
2) Unclear at this time whether we'll get a lot on the Wii U or not.
3) I've never had mine brick. It's frozen a couple of times, but not since the last update.
4) MH3U is fun, but it's not a JRPG, it's a grindfest with very little story whatsoever.
#3shivaedgePosted 5/8/2013 8:50:19 AM
If you want good JRPGs, you should get a PSP/3DS
#4IcedEarthaholicPosted 5/8/2013 8:51:25 AM
I am sure that the Wii U will end up seeing a fair amount of JRPGs, from what I've heard and seen, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an awesome game with tons of new content when compared to the original Wii version.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#5BlackPhoenix127Posted 5/8/2013 8:53:54 AM
Lol at Monster Hunter not being a JRPG. Just because it's not turn based, doesn't mean it isn't an RPG.

Anyways TC, if you are looking for good JRPGs then I strongly suggest you pick up a 3DS. The fact is many smaller Japanese devs have started moving on to handhelds and leaving the console scene. Personally I see this trend only increasing. Handhelds are the big sellers in Japan with the 3DS pretty much outselling everything else combined most weeks. It's the most popular system in Japan and therefore stands to get a good chunk of Japanese games, including RPGs. Plus you get the huge backlog of DS titles.

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is pretty awesome and a great place to start if you want to get in to the series. MH4 is also coming out on the 3DS this summer in Japan. Hopefully we'll see it over here before too long.
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#6Rasputin77Posted 5/8/2013 8:58:42 AM
I don't know (or care) what MH3U is (mostly because I know genre arguments are 100% inane and pointless)... but I can tell you that it absolutely rocks. :) It's one of the only reasons my Wii U still gets powered up.

And it runs the risk of bricking, but I don't think it's very high. I bought a coverage plan with mine, though, because you just never know.
---
The irony of GameFAQs: http://postimg.org/image/a2yrtprql/
#7WolfAlmightyPosted 5/8/2013 9:17:41 AM
BlackPhoenix127 posted...
Lol at Monster Hunter not being a JRPG. Just because it's not turn based, doesn't mean it isn't an RPG.

Oh it's definitely an RPG, but I always thought when people were referring to 'JRPG' they meant a more linear, story-based game. MH3 is closer to grindy MMO gameplay. It's a great game, definitely, but I wouldn't suggest anyone buy it for its memorable characters and engrossing storyline.
#8BlackPhoenix127Posted 5/8/2013 9:39:14 AM
WolfAlmighty posted...
BlackPhoenix127 posted...

Oh it's definitely an RPG, but I always thought when people were referring to 'JRPG' they meant a more linear, story-based game. MH3 is closer to grindy MMO gameplay. It's a great game, definitely, but I wouldn't suggest anyone buy it for its memorable characters and engrossing storyline.

See, but you're just focusing on one type of JRPG. Look at the name, Japanese Roleplaying Game. Monster Hunter fits with that. It's just not a story focused JRPG. Would you consider Phantasy Star any better in terms of story or characters? Because I wouldn't.

MH is a multiplayer focused RPG, no doubt, but it's still an RPG and it's still made in Japan.
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#9Numbuh100Posted 5/8/2013 9:40:26 AM
Monolith Soft's X is all you need on this console when it comes out as JRPG.
---
Waiting for: Pokemon X and Y, Project X Zone
BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD!
#10New LinkPosted 5/8/2013 9:41:32 AM
Dralekath posted...
I love JRPGs
That being said, Will this console be seeing a lot of them?
I have a 360 at the moment and it's not quite popular with them at all.

I've read where the Wii will "brick" is that a common occurrence?

Just how awesome is Monster Hunter 3 U?

Thanks

1) Likely, as it's a Japanese console.

2) The only occurances I've heard of people's Wii U bricking is from removing the power plug during the initial update. It specifically tells you 'do not turn the power off.'

3) It's awesome, but I already played the crap out of the Wii version so I decided to skip this one.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!