I'm glad Nintendo didn't sell out to EA

#41zoogelioPosted 5/8/2013 9:25:30 PM
IcedEarthaholic posted...
zoogelio posted...
IcedEarthaholic posted...
zoogelio posted...
Does anyone know the backstory behind EA's boycott of Nintendo?
- Is it because they want to bar used games (as Sony seems to be allowing third-parties to decide if they want to or not and the next xbox is suggested to do) and Nintendo won't allow them to?

- Is it because they're getting lazy or precarious and can't afford the additional dev costs of developing for a Nintendo console (the issue of how much Eighth Gen AAA games will cost to make)?

- Or are they doing it because they know the bad press they are getting from gamers, know how much Sony & Microsoft gamers HATE Nintendo, and are doing this to win some of them back? On that last point I wonder because look at the praise EA got last week when they did something against Nintendo. It was like all was forgiven from people (which means quite a few people hate Nintendo more than EA, which is kind of disturbing).

I think it's a combo of all three, it's disgusting to say the least, and people wonder why it is that some of these trolls deserve a good, swift, kick in the ass at times. Believe me, if I knew some of them personally, they would get reamed to high hell, and probably smacked around in order to get the stupid out of them.

And from looking around, add reason #4: power play. They wanted to strongarm Nintendo into adopting Origin for their online service, effectively putting EA in charge of Nintendo's online component. They then retaliated against Nintendo when they rightfully refused. That would explain why they completely did a 180 on all the support and games they said were coming to the Wii U but which they now scuttled.

For sure, they're trying to do to Nintendo what they did to Sega. Only difference is? This time it won't work. Nintendo is sitting on money, whereas Sega was almost flat broke when the Dreamcast launched. Come on, you expect me to believe the Wii U couldn't handle a 4-year-old gaming engine? What rubbish. The fact that Shadow of the Eternals is running on CryEngine 3 on the WIi U disproves what DICE and EA were saying.

There HAS to have been something that happened between the two companies, anyone who believes otherwise is just nuts. I, for one, refuse to believe otherwise. EA can basically suck my left nut and make the right one jealous at this point.

Agreed. Such a striking turnabout over less than a year suggests *something* happened. EA is such an unscrupulous company, doing something so petty, like balking at a company refusing to let itself be effectively taken over by EA and retaliating by pulling all their games. Too bad Nintendo is Japanese and they are likely to keep backroom dealings confidential, because crap like this should be aired publically to discredit the company that tried to pull it. That is some crap one would expect the mafia to pull in their heyday.
#42ORANGE666Posted 5/8/2013 9:48:48 PM(edited)
dcamp27 posted...
Let EA go make games for their buddies at Microsoft's Xbox where they have a similar business strategy of milking their customers dry while putting as little effort into their games as possible. Nintendo isn't about that. They have always been about making quality games. It's sad that the gaming industry is now full of so many of these lazy, greedy developers.

EA spends 20 million developing a game, sells it for $60.
Sells 4 million

Nintendo spends 2 million developing a game, sells it for $60
Sells 10 million

Can't believe EA has the audacity to charge for online pass and DLC! They're ripping us off and raking in the money! Nintendo games are just the right price!

Nintendo Fanboy Logic.
#43zoogelioPosted 5/8/2013 10:11:04 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
dcamp27 posted...
Let EA go make games for their buddies at Microsoft's Xbox where they have a similar business strategy of milking their customers dry while putting as little effort into their games as possible. Nintendo isn't about that. They have always been about making quality games. It's sad that the gaming industry is now full of so many of these lazy, greedy developers.

EA spends 20 million developing a game, sells it for $60.
Sells 4 million

Nintendo spends 2 million developing a game, sells it for $60
Sells 10 million

Can't believe EA has the audacity to charge for online pass and DLC! They're ripping us off and raking in the money! Nintendo games are just the right price!

Nintendo Fanboy Logic.

Someone... defending DLC? Wow, almost a first.

Well a company is wise to recoup production/development costs, there is a point to not making products so costly to develop, it ends up sinking their company or resorting to practices to recoup the costs which strongly alienate a segment of customers. Games needing to sell millions to turn a profit is baffling. At some point, the third-parties should have stepped back and see where things were headed and change their stance. And it's only going to get worse with what Eighth Gen dev costs will be.

Look at the Seventh Gen. A very long generation (only the Third is longer and that had the huge crash in the middle and the industry get off the ground independently in another country, then come over to the US to revive the industry. Must say arcades were still around and going strong, just well off of their early '80s peak. They crashed too, but didn't virtually disappear) and yet dev costs didn't go down as one might expect from technological advances and greater understanding of how to utilize what was 6 year old hardware.
#44brainlackPosted 5/8/2013 10:19:09 PM
Private:sir why is there no 3d parties
Captain: chain of command maggot remove a big 3rd party all of them fall down
---
ASRock N68C-GS FX, 550ti, phenom ii 1100t
MSI MS 7210, 690 gtx, pentium 4 524 @ 4.2 suicide stock cooler
#45IcedEarthaholicPosted 5/9/2013 5:05:49 AM
UtterMoon posted...
I like how everyone comes to the assumption that EA is to blame. Its Nintendos freaking job to secure 3rd party titles..and they failed to do so. But I guess its nice to blame evil ole' EA, or perhaps its just easier.

So you are defending EA? Whom said they would be backing the Wii U fully, but then turn around and pull this crap? Sorry, that dog don't hunt. How about we are putting responsibility right where it belongs. Look at it that way instead and I think you will come to terms with the facts. EA is full of piss and vinegar because Nintendo refused to cave to their demands which were utterly ridiculous, and as a result they are throwing a tantrum.

This is the same company that buys studios, forces them to produce games at a quickened pace, and then some years later shuts them down. They also monopolized the NFL license for years, resulting in a stagnant product. Doing so just to eliminate all forms of competition. They treat their employees like **** and they have done so many horrible things for gaming as a whole. The fact they were voted worst company in North America two years in a row should also say something.

Though yes, other companies outside of gaming do far worse, when it comes to business practices inside the gaming industry, EA is easily amongst the worst.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#46ska_dude101Posted 5/9/2013 5:10:20 AM
ferval100 posted...
ska_dude101 posted...
MichaelDeAngelo posted...
ska_dude101 posted...
MichaelDeAngelo posted...
I'm interested in seeing how EA reacts when Origin isn't the defacto Online system for Sony and Microsoft.

Not this again...

So now you're not allowed to have an opinion online? Got it. I'll try and make amends in the future.

It's a misconception/postulation dressed up as an opinion.

You're such a wiener.

You sure told me.
#47Lord_of_BeefDipPosted 5/9/2013 5:23:00 AM
I find that this topic paints Nintendo in a bit too much of a positive light.

They are a company, that does exist to make money. They are greedy, and they can and will lie. They've done so in the past, and I'll bet my account they will in the future. They have also made a lot of mistakes, some of which are more from a consumers viewpoint/opinion, others....not so much.

But I will say that they seem to be, out of all the hardware makers, the one that cares the most about gaming. I'd also say that they probably care more about the consumer a bit more than the other two, though money and profit naturally come first.

It's a mixed bag to be honest. And yes it is good, at least for them, that they did't go with EA for online. But the topic title is about the only thing I agree with. The main post, see the above.
---
music3212.proboards.com
My forum, attempting a revival.