I....I, I actually don't care for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate..bleh

#51justdontaskPosted 5/8/2013 1:41:30 PM
its definitely not a game for everyone, but the monsters are the coolest looking monsters ive seen in any game ive ever played...

i saw ads for it here, and thought "that looks amazing, whats the catch?" and when i went to gamestop in february to get KH3D, the guy asked "would you like to preorder a game, like the new Monster Hunter?" and i said yes, for that exact game...

i had no idea what i had preordered, other than a game that looks absolutely awesome... did some research, found theres clunky controls and a brutal learning curve... and a lot of grinding...

got it, played it, got to Barroth before saying "oh my god this game is amazing"...

it isnt for everyone, quite clearly, if you dont learn from your mistakes, if you cant be patient, or methodical in your attacks, or pick up on enemy attack patterns, youll hate it... the grinding isnt so bad if you dont suck, every fight plays out differently, and the monsters are absolutely beautiful to look at...
---
logic escapes this site.
#52lufia22Posted 5/8/2013 1:45:58 PM
Hey, everyone, look. THIS GUY DOESN'T LIKE SOMETHING POPULAR ON THESE FORUMS. GIVE HIM A MEDAL.

so brave
---
nununu
#53xChaosLordxPosted 5/8/2013 1:47:03 PM
Monster Hunter is a love/hate kinda game. But most people still hate it. The grind in MH games puts a lot of MMORPGs to shame. If you don't like MMORPGs then you probably won't like MH games.

The mechanics of the game feel very clunky, almost an artificial difficulty created just from the frame delays alone. Which makes the game 100% trial and error, and isn't reaction based at all, because frame delays kill any reaction based timing so you more or less have to predict what the monsters are going to do next. Which basically means fighting the same monster 50+ times until you find every window to exploit in their actions. Also the fights drag on for 15+ minutes on average.

TL;DL not only does the grind suck in MH, but the combat does as well due to how clunky and unresponsive the mechanics are.
#54blakenickPosted 5/8/2013 2:14:47 PM
supremeblaster posted...
The game name was certainly not deceptive in that regard.

Hahaha, that made me laugh, good call.

Who'd have thought that the primary focus of a game called Monster Hunter was hunting monsters, crazy right?

I for one enjoy the part where you are battling a freaking dragon, it's some of the most epic battles ever. I think if you didn't like continuous boss battles then this probably isn't the game for you. If that's the case give Shadow of the Colossus a miss too, it's all boss battles as well XD.
---
It's common courtesy for a lady to swallow
#55mcsmellingtonPosted 5/8/2013 2:23:23 PM
Awful game, awful series, no matter what console it's on.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#56SoaringDivePosted 5/8/2013 2:28:45 PM
DeathSnipe777 posted...
So you bought the game without researching what it was about?

I have a serious question:

How the heck did this topic continue past this post?
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#57DarkImpact2021Posted 5/8/2013 3:08:30 PM
I played a little bit on the Wii, but the grinding was just painful. I do enough grinding getting Xbox 360 achievements, so I really don't want another game that makes me grind even more.

Sadly I've had my Wii U since it launched and I still don't own a single game for it... I played a little bit of Scribblenauts and Super Mario Bros, but scribblenauts didn't have long-term replay value and I simply don't like the new 2D marios (Paper Mario being the exception.) I really wish Pikmin and 3D Mario would hurry along so I could play something...
#58GambitAcePosted 5/8/2013 3:09:24 PM
MH illusion. I had the same mindset as TC when I first played the series on PSP. Didn't like it then, and still haven't revisited it... it's just not my thing. Although each new entry does attract some new players, the vast majority of the community consists of returning players.
---
how do you turn this on?
#59MasterPokerPosted 5/8/2013 3:16:13 PM
xChaosLordx posted...
Monster Hunter is a love/hate kinda game. But most people still hate it. The grind in MH games puts a lot of MMORPGs to shame. If you don't like MMORPGs then you probably won't like MH games.

The mechanics of the game feel very clunky, almost an artificial difficulty created just from the frame delays alone. Which makes the game 100% trial and error, and isn't reaction based at all, because frame delays kill any reaction based timing so you more or less have to predict what the monsters are going to do next. Which basically means fighting the same monster 50+ times until you find every window to exploit in their actions. Also the fights drag on for 15+ minutes on average.

TL;DL not only does the grind suck in MH, but the combat does as well due to how clunky and unresponsive the mechanics are.

You aren't endowed with superhuman powers. It comes down to whether you're an old school gamer or not, really. It is a reaction-based game, fights don't take 15+ minutes on average (3DS port, monsters are low health for on-the-go action, very few ), and the controls are responsive. But there's no instant-win button (Kelbi Bow aside...sigh).
---
http://www.lostlabyrinth.com - Free, addicting rogue-based game
Ranked 1st, survived the dungeon: Xuande
#60Sad_FacePosted 5/8/2013 3:29:33 PM
Maybe the big battles are great, but whatever. If it takes over 8 hours just to get to a good part, and hours of repetitive busy work in between each good part, that is a bad game.

I feel like there should be a line drawn between games that are just bad and games that have a learning curve. When I first played the demo, I thought the game was clunky and full of crap. But then I saw a youtube video of some guy showing a hunt and talking about why he liked the game. After giving the demo another shot, I have to say I'm far more intrigued by the game now that I understand how to play the game. And the impression I'm getting from the other posters is that once you get ahead of the learning curve, then everything is smooth sailing after that. In contrast, FF XIII took at least 13-20 hours to get to the open areas and the quality still dropped back to the garbage zone 2 hours later.