Do Nintendo fans want every Nintendo series to be a freaking sandbox?

#1LordYggdrasilXXPosted 5/8/2013 11:51:44 AM
Mario fans hate linear Mario games and talk about how much they hope Mario Wii U will be open world with lots much explorarion and Zelda fans don't think that Zelda games are big enough.
#2Rival_Blue_1999Posted 5/8/2013 11:54:56 AM
Damn you picky fanbases.

Now really what was wrong with the linear experience of SS? I quite enjoyed it.
---
Nintendo Network: Jon_14
#3oq7sterPosted 5/8/2013 11:57:10 AM
Not really. I enjoy the games as they are. If they make a sandbox game I bet people will find a reason to complain no matter what.
---
3DS: 1805-3478-2204; NNID: oq7ster
I was addicted to Oblivion. Then Skyrim burned my gpu.
#4oq7sterPosted 5/8/2013 11:58:38 AM
Now I realize that the only 3 sandbox games I enjoy are terraria, oblivion and lego city.
---
3DS: 1805-3478-2204; NNID: oq7ster
I was addicted to Oblivion. Then Skyrim burned my gpu.
#5NewbiusPosted 5/8/2013 12:01:24 PM
I think it's fine as it is. linear 3D Mario games work best for me and Zelda is also fine, but I wish there was more stuff to do in the overworlds.
#6ImGanondorfLolPosted 5/8/2013 12:01:24 PM
Half of them. I'm opposed to sandbox Mario, but Zelda can be a bit bigger, but not quantity over quality Skyrim-big.
I still hate how many people think open world nonlinear games are the best path to take.
#7FayeLadyPosted 5/8/2013 12:03:33 PM
I dislike linear games in general. Sandbox games are ok, but not for every game. Too open is just as bad as too linear, although there is a place for stuff like Gmod.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#8Maxx_the_SlashPosted 5/8/2013 12:13:34 PM
LordYggdrasilXX posted...
Mario fans hate linear Mario games and talk about how much they hope Mario Wii U will be open world with lots much explorarion and Zelda fans don't think that Zelda games are big enough.

Do some learning, there's a difference between "open world" and "sandbox". Open world means there's a large map to explore. Sandbox refers to a game that let's players create content and alter the environment, just like a child playing in a sandbox can create and alter the environment inside the sandbox (Minecraft is an example of a sandbox game, while Skyrim is an example of open world).

Absolutely no one requested the ability to create content in Mario, while they have requested a large seamless map to explore.

The reason people want that is because it would encourage Nintendo to actually develop a plot for Mario beyond "Peach is kidnapped by a giant turtle" used in EVERY DAMN MARIO GAME. Mario would have to do more than just jump around doing drugs and kicking the shells of animals at other shelled animals. It would bring exploration and puzzle solving to a stale franchise and it would finally flesh out an actual layout for the Mushroom Kingdom beyond just Peach's castle and a few fields around it.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#9PaukenPosted 5/8/2013 12:17:32 PM
I think people are asking for a Super Mario 64-style 3D Mario game, as in it has worlds, but each world is wide open with 7 stars, most of which are accessible even when that star is not selected when loading the world.

Galaxy made the 3D mario games much much much more linear, in that you were railroaded onto a specific path to get the designated star, as opposed to free to sequence break and go get a different star in the same world. Galaxy 2 went further with railroading and made the hub world get turned into a SMB3 style map. 3D Land went even further and removed stars altogether, making the levels completely linear.

People just want Nintendo to convert the 3D Mario series back to 64-style, not turn it into a 100% sandbox. No one wants The Elder Marios: Skytoad; they just want a frickin 64-style 3D Mario. Is that so much to ask?

BTW, I in no way condone the idea of a SUNSHINE style 3D Mario. The big difference between 64 and Sunshine, besides the addition of FLUDD, was that Sunshine required 7 shines from every world to access Bowser...which is idiotic when you stick the hardest shines in the 6th slot in every world. Compare this to 64's 70 stars total to fight Rainbow Bowser, which is a nice number as it's easily obtainable with the easier stars, and doesn't require slamming your head against Rainbow Ride's last few hellish stars just to fight Bowser for the last time. I have personally never beaten Sunshine because the devs felt the need to force collection of the hardest shines in the game JUST to access Bowser; Galaxy for its far greater linearity at least made the stars required be 50 stars from any combination of worlds, ala 64, as opposed to nearly 100%ing all of the worlds just to fight Bowser.
#10Faceman_Posted 5/8/2013 12:21:56 PM
Nobody wants a sandbox Mario game. We want a Mario game with exploration. The way 3D Mario games are supposed to be. Keep the Galaxy 2 obstacle courses to the 3DS.