Do Nintendo fans want every Nintendo series to be a freaking sandbox?

#11Pac12345Posted 5/8/2013 1:23:18 PM
1- Complain about games being too linear and ask for "huge open worlds".

2- Complain about the game world being too empty (see "It felt soulless").

3- Complain about having too many fillers and pointless side quests.

4- Demand for the game to return to its roots.

5- It's outdated/didn't reinvent the wheel in terms of gameplay.. Franchise is dead.

6- Praise the original game. Demand a reboot that stays true to the franchise's roots.

7- The cycle repeats.
#12FFXIgaiaknightPosted 5/8/2013 1:24:17 PM
i have never understood the hate for a game being linear personally as long as i had fun playing a game i dont care if its linear or a massive open world.
---
http://www.club1kjho.com
NNI: Gaiaknight
#13Numbuh100Posted 5/8/2013 1:31:12 PM
Call of Duty is linear. Why does nobody complain about that?
---
Waiting for: Pokemon X and Y, Project X Zone
BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD!
#14UponADarkThornePosted 5/8/2013 1:35:17 PM
I want Mario to have solid platforming and level design. Everything else is just frosting on the cake.

For Zelda, it's a bit more complicated. While I think the series would benefit from a large open world to explore, you'd have to radically change the way that Zelda games work; you'd need new item, possible more types of weapons and armor, and a lot of reason to explore - and you'd risk changing Zelda's focus on dungeons and puzzle solving into something that really doesn't fit the series. I'm not saying it's not possible and if it was successfully pulled off it would be a fantastic game... At the same time, it's something that would require a lot of work and thought. If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't be comfortable releasing it without a five year development cycle - at which point you're close to next generation and might as well release it as a launch title.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#15PaukenPosted 5/8/2013 1:36:10 PM
Pac12345 posted...
1- Complain about games being too linear and ask for "huge open worlds".

2- Complain about the game world being too empty (see "It felt soulless").

3- Complain about having too many fillers and pointless side quests.

4- Demand for the game to return to its roots.

5- It's outdated/didn't reinvent the wheel in terms of gameplay.. Franchise is dead.

6- Praise the original game. Demand a reboot that stays true to the franchise's roots.

7- The cycle repeats.

Galaxy's maps were the same size as 64's maps approximately, if not bigger. How can a return to 64's style of play make the maps soulless if they're already using the same size of map in the current games, but with far more railroading?

If you're referring to sandbox gameplay/full open world gameplay, I must say that NO ONE WANTS THAT (for Mario at least). They just want a return to 64's more explorable maps that don't railroad you into a specific path, allowing for far more exploration. Hell, I'd definitely buy a version of Galaxy that goes back to 64-style maps while retaining the same approximate layout (with some added jump gates so that you can go back to earlier sections). Again, is that so much to ask?
#16Golden MavenPosted 5/8/2013 1:39:33 PM
We already have the 2D marios for linear platforming, to make the 3D games linear as well is just redundant. Give us some damn exploration, damn it. The problem is, that requires more effort from a design standpoint, and I don't think Nintendo wants to go there.
#17TheCelticArcherPosted 5/8/2013 1:44:32 PM
Three game series that I prefer to be open-world are Zelda, Metroid, and only 3D Marios. I know the open-world formula wouldn't work for games like Advance Wars, Kirby, and the 2D Mario games.
I prefer a sandbox environment because it usually gets me immersed in a game, I've sunken countless hours in games like GTA IV and Oblivion.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2, Dota 2, Banjo-Kazooie (360), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U), & Need for Speed Most Wanted U.
#18wiiking96Posted 5/8/2013 1:46:08 PM
TheCelticArcher posted...
I know the open-world formula wouldn't work for games like . . . Kirby

*coughamazingmirrorcough*
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#19CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/8/2013 1:47:17 PM
Mario fans don't necessarily want it all the time, we're just ready for more of it again.

Zelda...
The game is all about exploration and stuff. I don't believe many people were actively asking for bigger more open worlds, that buzz didn't happen until the rumors of TP's scale.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656