15 upcoming EA games that Wii U is not getting.

#141Neo_HeartlessPosted 5/9/2013 6:04:01 AM
People who think EA doesn't have an axe to grind with Nintendo clearly don't remember the furore they caused when they launched Origin.

They pretty much badmouthed Steam from the word go, citing things like "their unreasonable demands when it comes to releasing patches and additional content". These things which aren't a problem to any other company, and weren't a problem for EA, suddenly were? Why?

The answer is, of course, money. Specifically DLC. By purchasing DLC through Steam they get a cut of the profits. By cutting them out and making people use their own distribution service EA ensures they get 100% of the profits AND they aren't bound by Steam's pricing structure, as you can see by the fact that pretty much all new games on Origin cost more than anywhere else.

So what does this have to do with Nintendo? Well it's commonly believed that the "Unrivalled Partnership" between the two involved Nintendo approaching EA to help them designing an online infrastructure for the Nintendo Network. EA aren't the only ones they approached, but they were by far the biggest contributors. Eventually Nintendo thanked EA for all their help by giving them earlier access to Devkits, as well as payment for their work and told them they were greatful.

It is believed this is the point EA asked them "Greatful enough to let us take the next step and make Origin a vital part of the infrastructure?"

Nintendo thought about this, of course they did. The problem arose in what this would actually mean though. Total control of the Nintendo Network would rest with EA. They could charge their own prices, use their own quality assurance, hell they could even ensure they competitors games have a sub par service and it would be Nintendo who looked bad. So they said no, of course they did. Nintendo might be naive but they aren't stupid. However, if the past few years have shown us anything its this.

You don't say no to EA.

From their mustache twirling badmouthing of Steam to their deflection of critism by coining Gamer Entitlement to having to actually explain to people they aren't evil when voted the worst company in America EA have shown time and again they are the Megalomaniacle villain of the video game industry. They have the manpower and the money to control pretty much most of the journalists in the industry, you think they can't use this to destroy a company that's wronged them? One they can't wrap around their finger?

Think about it for a minute. I'm not trying to deflect here, but both the PS3 and Vita had disasterous launches, as did the 3DS, and while these were reported on, they didn't get the level of attention the WiiU has. Despite the WiiU selling more initially than other consoles, all we hear about is how sales have plummetted and how developer after developer doesn't have any plans for it. News is news, but the amount of negative news has been startling of late. It's almost as if journalists are falling over themselves to report all this bad news.

And then there Mark Rein, spokesperson of company Epic Games. His behinds the scenes attitude shows the agenda EA is pushing against the WiiU. We're expected to believe that the Unreal 4 engine, an engine so scaleable as to be usable on Android phones, can't be used on a WiiU? The backtracking he had to do when revealed was hilarious, but it still revealed a truth, only they have no plans to use it on the WiiU.

Finally, there's the WiiU's interface. Slow, unfinished, almost as if someone who was working on it dropped all support for some unexplained reason.

So yeah. If you've read this far, you'll be shocked to hear I don't think Nintendo is completely blameless in this, but less powerful hardware has never been a deterrant before, just look at the 3DS. No there's something more sinister behind all this. The very values of gaming are being eroded and the people here supporting EA are just to blame.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#142squatch22Posted 5/9/2013 6:09:49 AM
^I remember when EA said Steam sales cheapen IP values... just a few weeks before they decided to have a sale on Origin. lol
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-06-david-demartini-origin-wants-to-be-the-hub
http://www.1up.com/news/origin-sale-hypocrisy
---
Doggy:100 is not 1/3 of 300
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#143pokemonfreak97Posted 5/9/2013 6:39:16 AM
As I always say in these kind of topics, where people all talk about how these games are either the greatest ever or the scum of the earth, depending on side and whether it's getting the games or not: more games would be better.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#144AiddonPosted 5/9/2013 7:20:52 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...

You don't say no to EA.

From their mustache twirling badmouthing of Steam to their deflection of critism by coining Gamer Entitlement to having to actually explain to people they aren't evil when voted the worst company in America EA have shown time and again they are the Megalomaniacle villain of the video game industry. They have the manpower and the money to control pretty much most of the journalists in the industry, you think they can't use this to destroy a company that's wronged them? One they can't wrap around their finger?

Think about it for a minute. I'm not trying to deflect here, but both the PS3 and Vita had disasterous launches, as did the 3DS, and while these were reported on, they didn't get the level of attention the WiiU has. Despite the WiiU selling more initially than other consoles, all we hear about is how sales have plummetted and how developer after developer doesn't have any plans for it. News is news, but the amount of negative news has been startling of late. It's almost as if journalists are falling over themselves to report all this bad news.

And then there Mark Rein, spokesperson of company Epic Games. His behinds the scenes attitude shows the agenda EA is pushing against the WiiU. We're expected to believe that the Unreal 4 engine, an engine so scaleable as to be usable on Android phones, can't be used on a WiiU? The backtracking he had to do when revealed was hilarious, but it still revealed a truth, only they have no plans to use it on the WiiU.

Finally, there's the WiiU's interface. Slow, unfinished, almost as if someone who was working on it dropped all support for some unexplained reason.

So yeah. If you've read this far, you'll be shocked to hear I don't think Nintendo is completely blameless in this, but less powerful hardware has never been a deterrant before, just look at the 3DS. No there's something more sinister behind all this. The very values of gaming are being eroded and the people here supporting EA are just to blame.

This is more akin to a hissy fit than a grand, calculating scheme. EA are more like Prince Joffrey than Varys (i.e., they throw their authority around like a bully instead of being GOOD schemers)
#145WayavasPosted 5/9/2013 9:41:49 AM
Umitencho posted...
TheDeadKennedys posted...
vel0001 posted...
Wayavas posted...
who cares? let the nintendo people stick with their zelda and mario games taht havent offered anything new since never, even the first zelda was very very similar to a game called hydlide, only done better

Ha, what about playstation all stars?
That was trying to rip off smash bros, and failed.

Not to mention CoD and a bunch of other games that haven't offered anything new.

Your whole argument stinks.

It doesn't change the fact that he's right.

There is no such thing as new. Everything borrows from something that has existed beforehand.

inferior games for inferior console for inferior people, thats the wiiu
---
If Raptor Jesus is your lord and savior and you are 100% proud of it, copy this into your signature.
#146nickvd8Posted 5/9/2013 9:43:36 AM
Wayavas posted...
Umitencho posted...
TheDeadKennedys posted...
vel0001 posted...
Wayavas posted...
who cares? let the nintendo people stick with their zelda and mario games taht havent offered anything new since never, even the first zelda was very very similar to a game called hydlide, only done better

Ha, what about playstation all stars?
That was trying to rip off smash bros, and failed.

Not to mention CoD and a bunch of other games that haven't offered anything new.

Your whole argument stinks.

It doesn't change the fact that he's right.

There is no such thing as new. Everything borrows from something that has existed beforehand.

inferior games for inferior console for inferior people, thats the wiiu

I only see two inferior things so far, your trolling and logic.
---
Sign this
www.tinyurl.com/timesplittersHD
#147lonlonmilkloverPosted 5/9/2013 9:47:19 AM
I only buy consoles for first party exclusive franchises.

I have something called a gaming caliber PC that has multiplatform release titles for cheaper.
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#148JackalPosted 5/9/2013 9:58:16 AM
Ouch. It's a shame this is happening but there isn't much that we can do other than not buy EA games. But that's not going to happen for a lot of people.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#149JKatarnPosted 5/9/2013 11:48:02 AM
zoogelio posted...
QueezZeenart posted...
So many predictable responses.

Some people would actually buy those games, especially if they turned out to be the best console versions. I would dare say that they might even sell some hardware. But hey, to hell with third party games on this system. Nintendo's rock solid first party lineup is making the Wii U fly off the shelves, right? Right...?

Under attack, the range of opinion tends to narrow and an opinion in direct opposition to the attacking opinion or sentiment tends to dominate, no matter how irrational it can be. It's called the knee-jerk response, the 'for every reaction, there is an equal and opposite reaction'. There's a rallying effect, an effort to shore up the defenses against the onslaught. It really mucks up the discussion, making so many people think stupidly (though all the attacking trolls are much worse than Nintendo diehards jerking their knees). Eh, at least its not as ugly and intolerant to other opinions as after 9/11, though I wonder what Sony or Microsoft forums will be like if one of those consoles flops badly early on (looks like Microsoft if they go always-online and ban used games).

Note that not everyone falls into line. One can see here there are a lot of Nintendo fans who don't shout "Rally the defenses!" and produce those predictable responses. They may take a defensive stance in some topics, sit out others, or be not pro/anti in other topics. Same goes for Sony's & Microsoft's fanbases. It would be a mistake to think of any group as one large homogenous whole. If there wasn't an all-out war on Nintendo, these forums would have much more enlightened discussions and be much less defensive and offensive (in both senses of the word).

In fairness I'd wager most gamers would rather play the games they enjoy than troll/defend a platform on a forum.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#150Cholo6Posted 5/9/2013 12:23:58 PM
The answer to this BAD news for Wii U owners should be anything BUT, "those games suck anyway!"

They don't.

Hopefully something gets worked out for you guys.