Compared to Nintendo's previous consoles, Wii U sales are normal.

#1wubikroPosted 5/8/2013 5:53:18 PM
The Wii U isn't a failure, at least not by normal Nintendo standards. Compared to the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and GameCube, when Nintendo started having real competition, their consoles were always in last place with lukewarm sales. After the Wii phenomenon, the bar was set unrealistically high for Nintendo. They hadn't experienced console sales like that since the earlier '80s with the NES.

Super Nintendo: Units sold - Worldwide: 49.10 million

Nintendo 64: Units sold - Worldwide: 32.93 million

GameCube: Units sold - Worldwide: 21.74 million

There is no doom and gloom, and Nintendo has no reason to get out of the console race when they're performing as well as they always have been. The Wii U will thrive just as all of their consoles had done in previous years.
#2fueled-systemPosted 5/8/2013 5:55:27 PM
Umm....game development does not cost a penny anymore just so you know
#3CaptainlunaticPosted 5/8/2013 5:58:12 PM
Here's the problem TC, selling at those numbers may have been fine back in the day, but the price to create games has risen dramatically as time has gone on, eventually nintendo will not be able to settle for those numbers, especially when competetion is now starting to become more fierce.
---
Tada! I'm a tomato!
#4ZBug_Posted 5/8/2013 6:01:02 PM
also, the GameCube, as much as I liked it, sold terribly
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#5VoxwikPosted 5/8/2013 6:03:07 PM(edited)
The price was already rising in the Gamecube era. I think it's too soon to say whether the Wii U will recover.

It's disappointing that the Gamecube sold the least, considering I think it's the best Nintendo console after the SNES.

As much as the hype over "Project Café" revolved around it being a "SNES 2.0," the truth is that's pretty much what the Gamecube was. It just didn't get the third party support back that Nintendo lost with the N64 unfortunately.
#6LightHawKnightPosted 5/8/2013 6:28:05 PM
All I have to say is launch sales. When are they ever good?
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#7papermonkey21Posted 5/8/2013 6:28:44 PM
Have fun playing nothing
---
Cause if you step to Ruth on the mic I'll fan your fancy bike and all.
YERRR OUT! With three strikes, and just one ball.
#8NCPwnPosted 5/8/2013 6:35:20 PM
Voxwik posted...
The price was already rising in the Gamecube era. I think it's too soon to say whether the Wii U will recover.

It's disappointing that the Gamecube sold the least, considering I think it's the best Nintendo console after the SNES.

As much as the hype over "Project Café" revolved around it being a "SNES 2.0," the truth is that's pretty much what the Gamecube was. It just didn't get the third party support back that Nintendo lost with the N64 unfortunately.

Thats a hard statement to make.

I mean yes, Windwaker was awesome. Same with mario Kart.

But these games are far superior to the GC library.

Zelda OoT / MM
Mario 64
Smash Bros 64
Goldeneye 64
Quest 64
PilotWings 64
bomberman 64
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#9Golden MavenPosted 5/8/2013 6:41:02 PM
Captainlunatic posted...
the price to create games has risen dramatically as time has gone on

What makes you such an expert of game development costs? Are you a senior accountant for a video game company? Or are you, as I strongly suspect, just regurgitating something you've heard?
#10SegavsCapcomPosted 5/8/2013 6:47:26 PM
Actually, the numbers are worse than the GameCube's.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.