Compared to Nintendo's previous consoles, Wii U sales are normal.

#11VoxwikPosted 5/8/2013 8:51:03 PM
NCPwn posted...
Voxwik posted...
The price was already rising in the Gamecube era. I think it's too soon to say whether the Wii U will recover.

It's disappointing that the Gamecube sold the least, considering I think it's the best Nintendo console after the SNES.

As much as the hype over "Project Café" revolved around it being a "SNES 2.0," the truth is that's pretty much what the Gamecube was. It just didn't get the third party support back that Nintendo lost with the N64 unfortunately.

Thats a hard statement to make.

I mean yes, Windwaker was awesome. Same with mario Kart.

But these games are far superior to the GC library.

Zelda OoT / MM
Mario 64
Smash Bros 64
Goldeneye 64
Quest 64
PilotWings 64
bomberman 64

I wasn't trying to claim my opinion was better than others'. Opinions aren't right or wrong. I wasn't saying I didn't love the N64 either. I just overall liked the Gamecube better is all.
#12TalentedMPosted 5/8/2013 8:54:22 PM
Different times these days. Even when the 64 was out it was still a small niche group of kids I knew who played games and considered it "cool" to one another. Hell I still remember being picked on for playing my SNES!

Anyways... It isn't a failure it is a slow launch and no games time! 1st year and Nintendo f***** up, plain and simple they did. Not so bad they can't come back and bring us great games. But it is still there, glaring us in the face. The market is larger and the reason to have a system in a home an even greater thing than before (as mediastations/netflix and other reasons).

Failure? Naw... I don't think so.
Normal? I don't think so either... Not for this day and age.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#13zoogelioPosted 5/8/2013 9:41:39 PM
On the subject of game development costs, this is what Capcom said about Eighth Gen dev costs.

http://playeressence.com/capcom-expects-next-gen-development-costs-to-soar/

Capcom told investors at the latest investor meeting that they full expect the cost of development to rise significantly with the next round of consoles.

“Development costs are projected to soar as advanced and multiple functions are added to hardware,” the company explained to its investors as part of today’s fiscal results. “Business alliances and consolidations may therefore occur in increasing numbers.”

Capcom has stated that they plan to develop more titles in-house to combat these rising costs. They also think that there will be a drought of new games developed on the new consoles before they go in fully. Lost Planet 3, Ducktails, and Resident Evil Revelations are the only games the firm is releasing this year. Suggesting that their next generation efforts will not be front loaded.

“Even though a full line-up of new home video game consoles will eventually be released, the industry is likely to be in a period of scant new product releases over the near future.”

*Shock* There are downsides to going with more power so often and so extensively. What will the PS4 & Xbox 720 do to try and mitigate this?
#14VoxwikPosted 5/8/2013 11:48:07 PM
The budget vs. power thing is already in full swing with the current consoles. What they need to do is focus on art style over big budget model design and such for games that can thrive with design like that.

Bring on the high resolution sprite revival and evolution of abandoned genres/design! Cell shading and clever art direction can help with that too.

You don't need to spend hours on a single rock like a Square Enix employee bragged about to make a game look good.
#15miethaPosted 5/8/2013 11:54:10 PM
Voxwik posted...
The budget vs. power thing is already in full swing with the current consoles. What they need to do is focus on art style over big budget model design and such for games that can thrive with design like that.

Bring on the high resolution sprite revival and evolution of abandoned genres/design! Cell shading and clever art direction can help with that too.

You don't need to spend hours on a single rock like a Square Enix employee bragged about to make a game look good.

Okami (arguably the most successful art game ever) has sold 600k worldwide across all versions. Black Ops II sold 7.5 million on its first DAY in the US alone. Art games don't sell, and they sure as hell can't support a system.