Most Overrated and Underrated Nintendo Games

#11WariofanaticPosted 5/9/2013 7:19:14 PM
Over Rated:

Basically any game with the name "Mario", "Zelda", or "Pokemon" in the title.

Under Rated:

Can't really think of anything here... maybe a few DK and Kirby games?
---
Martial Arts is the only life of me~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpGh2gF4i1o
#12ADHDguitarPosted 5/9/2013 7:21:08 PM
SPM is both underrated and overrated.

Guys, it wasn't terrible, but it sure as hell had problems.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#13ymmac1707Posted 5/9/2013 7:25:08 PM
Underrated: Jetmoto

Overated : wii sport
#14_Taidow_Posted 5/9/2013 7:35:09 PM
Overrated:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario RPG
Kirby Super Star

Underrated:
Super Mario Sunshine
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Kirby Air Ride
---
"The answer to a question I never asked." - Bridget Tice
#15GeminiX7Posted 5/9/2013 7:43:44 PM
ADHDguitar posted...
They're pretty much all underrated considering the sheer volume of hipsters that complain about everything.

Wow, only 3 posts till "Nintendo is perfect" came up. A new record.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#16sentoworfPosted 5/9/2013 7:48:56 PM
Overrated
Zelda

Underrated
Sin and Punishment
---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#17DrOrpheus42Posted 5/9/2013 8:08:25 PM
Is it bad that when I tried to think of the top 3 most overrated Nintendo games in my opinion, the 3 that immediately came to mind were New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Super Mario 3D Land?

And that after 5 minutes of further contemplation, I still couldn't convince myself that there were any games more overrated than these 3, and that the closest I came was Super Mario Galaxy 2? (But in fairness, this one does deserve plenty of praise, I just mean that everyone says this is the better Galaxy while I enjoyed Galaxy 1 more.)

I mean... it's not like I'm against Mario or anything. I guess I just can't shake the feeling that there's been nothing but Mario for years now, and these 3 redundant games only got the ratings they did because their systems were so starved for content at the time that everyone deluded themselves into liking them to justify the system purchase. Is it bad for me to think like that?

Oh well. As for underrated, I dunno... I'd agree with TC about Metroid II, had a lot of fun with that one, especially with how eerie it gets when the omega metroids start showing up. And maybe Spirit Tracks? Phantom Hourglass definitely deserves its spot at the bottom of the rankings, but I thought Spirit Tracks did a pretty good job with improved puzzle design and surprisingly nice music. It at least felt like its own Zelda game, not the best, but pretty solid. But I guess nobody could get past the concept of trains...
#18Amazing AmpharosPosted 5/9/2013 8:10:16 PM
Yeah, Star Fox Command doesn't get nearly the love it deserves. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Overrated: Every Kirby game, especially Epic Yarn (which was pretty bad). They're mostly slow, boring, and easy. Kirby's Adventure is the best one (it and DL3 are legitimately good games), and even it's not even top 20 Nintendo games. For a franchise with as many entries as Kirby, that's pretty bad. Super Star probably deserves a special call out here because it's usually regarded as the pinnacle of Kirby when it's merely "okay" (definitely not in the same league as something like Adventure).

Underrated: A few games really flew under the radar that were quite excellent. M&L: Bowser's Inside Story was great, but it rarely gets brought up when people are talking about the Mario RPGs. Punch Out Wii was solid, a worthy sequel to one of the best games on the NES, but it gets forgotten too. Mother 3 didn't come out in English which makes people forget it, but seriously play it if you haven't there's a translation on the internet. It's quite possibly the best jRPG I've ever played, and I've played a lot of jRPGs. The combat is merely decent, but the story, characters, writing, art, music, environments, basically everything else... just perfect (and yes, it's a lot better than EarthBound... though I do like EarthBound too).

We could go on all day about correct valuations though. I would say something like F-Zero GX is underrated because it's probably the best racing game ever made, but either way it's still a pretty well respected game even if it's usually not rated as highly as it truly deserves. I could pick at people's Zelda opinions (WW and TP are overrated, the internet I'm not sure has realized how good SS really is yet, etc.), but most realize that Zelda as a whole is really good which it is so it's quibbling. Something like Pokemon Colosseum isn't really "good", but it's a lot better than most give it credit for (Super Paper Mario, as mentioned in this topic, fits this bill nicely too). Metroid Other M is correctly regarded as awful by most, but the mere fact that abomination has defenders at all is a sure sign it's overrated.
#19Rupin_SalesmanPosted 5/9/2013 8:17:33 PM
Overrated: Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Underrated: Donkey Kong Country 3.
---
"I love going on message boards and complaining about games I've never played!"
- Francis, Super Paper Mario
#20mahboiPosted 5/9/2013 10:00:27 PM(edited)
DrOrpheus42 posted...
Is it bad that when I tried to think of the top 3 most overrated Nintendo games in my opinion, the 3 that immediately came to mind were New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Super Mario 3D Land?

And that after 5 minutes of further contemplation, I still couldn't convince myself that there were any games more overrated than these 3, and that the closest I came was Super Mario Galaxy 2? (But in fairness, this one does deserve plenty of praise, I just mean that everyone says this is the better Galaxy while I enjoyed Galaxy 1 more.)

I mean... it's not like I'm against Mario or anything. I guess I just can't shake the feeling that there's been nothing but Mario for years now, and these 3 redundant games only got the ratings they did because their systems were so starved for content at the time that everyone deluded themselves into liking them to justify the system purchase. Is it bad for me to think like that?

While I don't think 3D Land applies to quite that extent, I do agree that Mario has been repetitive lately. Luigi's Mansion 2 was a breath of fresh air. Regardless, NSMB2 is typically hated on, so I wouldn't call it overrated. (Now, if we're talking sales, then that's a different story.)
---
E means "Everyone", not "Eleven and under". Agrees: 59
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior, and am proud of it.