GPU Intensive Game Developing....

#1DinosoarLinkPosted 5/9/2013 6:01:32 PM
Is the future.

Current developers need to stop being lazy and realize that CPU intensive programming will soon be ancient history. The last consoles to utilize CPU intensive programming will be the PS4 (http://www.ps4playstation4.com/Expected-PS4-Specs) which is relying heavily on its CPU and probably the NextBox as well however I dont have the specs for that so i wont speculate on that.

When you look at the Wii U specs, you will see it has an ok CPU but then a rather buffed up GPU (http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-gpu/). This GPU can easily support 1080p/60fps any day, all day. The problem is, the current developers are so used to writing code for CPU intensive hardware, they are not willing to retrain and learn something that will be mainstream in the next decade.

Nintendo is actually more ahead of its time then it is behind the times. It isnt Nintendo and it isnt the Wiiu. It is the develpers plain and simple. Game developers are going to have to learn how to create a program that utilizes the GPU more than the CPU and that is the bottom line. When this time comes, Nintendo may have moved onto another console but by then I can guarantee you that those any consoles that are produced, will have small CPU power and large GPU power. All the games developed for them will focus on the GPU.

(Not a Wiiasurrance topic)
#2TalentedMPosted 5/9/2013 7:50:56 PM
I will allow Nintendo to prove this to me with their upcoming games!

CAN'T WAIT!
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#3TheUnboundOnePosted 5/9/2013 7:57:02 PM
Sigh... So much text from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.
---
Truth is only known once you step outside the information bubble.
#4TalentedMPosted 5/9/2013 8:00:44 PM
TheUnboundOne posted...
Sigh... So much text from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

Do you have more knowledge on the subject? I would love to see more talk about this and what are the capabilities, or maybe even say why he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Just wondering, as your comment would imply you have more knowledge than he.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#5Golden MavenPosted 5/9/2013 8:02:50 PM
TalentedM posted...

Usually, the people who just drop one-liners know next to nothing.
#6TalentedMPosted 5/9/2013 8:04:21 PM
Golden Maven posted...
TalentedM posted...

Usually, the people who just drop one-liners know next to nothing.

I wait for one to surprise me one day. I am totally honest when I say I would want more discussion about it from people who know what they are talking about, as I really have no idea as just a person who plays the games what he is saying could be true. My googling doesn't pull anything up other than that it is a practice, other than that... Nothing.
---
#7HaloOfTheSun442Posted 5/9/2013 8:08:49 PM
Nintendo was thinking ahead with such a powerful GPU, but sadly it's unlikely many developers will take advantage of that.
#8SolisPosted 5/9/2013 8:12:00 PM
Nothing you said makes sense. If developers are making "CPU intense" games, and it's the CPU that's the bottleneck, then developers should have no problem at all hitting 1080p because that means there's a low amount of GPU utilization going on.

On top of that, there seems to be this misconception that a GPU can somehow take a majority or even a sizable minority of all the tasks that a CPU normally works with. The fact is that a GPU is NOT suitable for a vast majority of the things that a CPU typically handes. It's good at processing highly parallelized functions (such as physics and media encoding/decoding), but it would be terrible for many other things. You will NEVER see a game that "utilizes the GPU more than the CPU" for general tasks, unless most of the game consists of intensive physics or media manipulation.

Oh, and in addition, if developers are offloading tasks from the CPU to the GPU, that means you most certainly wouldn't be able to get 1080p/60FPS games with any decent visual quality, since the GPU would be so burdened with performing graphical AND general purpose calculations that it would barely have any rendering power left to bump up the resolution or framerate.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#9EvilBeardsPosted 5/10/2013 1:08:48 AM
Oh good lord the derp in this topic is astounding.

Do you know what a function is my dear sir?
#10ElectricMolePosted 5/10/2013 1:28:28 AM
The most derp thing of all is giving the credit for the hardware chipset to nintendo and not AMD who happen to make "GPU intensive" chipsets for Durango and PS4, although beefed up versions.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188