are Wii U Virtual Console games tied to console or account?

#1mettlegearPosted 5/9/2013 9:29:25 PM
Since Wii U requires you to make an account, does that mean your Wii U Virtual Console games are tied to your account (like Xbox Live or PSN)? Or is it still like Wii where your content is tied only to that particular console?
#2Schwepps01Posted 5/9/2013 9:32:27 PM
Tied to your console. Why would you want it tied to an account? That would be what Sony does and sony ponies are the worst. What would you do with an account? Play the game on another Wii U? Please.
---
#3DiscostewSMPosted 5/9/2013 9:33:37 PM
They plan to link them to just your account, but for now, they're tied to the console.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#4MMaestroPosted 5/9/2013 9:36:30 PM
Console, for now.

Its probably just legacy code leftover from the Wii.
#5SocranPosted 5/9/2013 9:38:57 PM
It's tied to your account, but your account is tied to the console. If your console is damage or stolen, you can get Nintendo to manually allow the account to transfer, and with it all your purchases. But you can't do it at your own leisure, just yet.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#6CrashTheChevyPosted 5/9/2013 9:41:54 PM
And I plan to upgrade to a Wii U, but not until that is fixed. They should just use the Wii U as a hub to store games for the 3DS that you can bring on the go and keep your Wii U account their.
---
Gamertag - JRDad; PSN - JRDad82; Wii - JRDad - 6160-1469-5148-2995
MKDS: JRDad- Friend Code:077374-952120
#7mettlegear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 9:51:19 PM
Schwepps01 posted...
Tied to your console. Why would you want it tied to an account? That would be what Sony does and sony ponies are the worst. What would you do with an account? Play the game on another Wii U? Please.

Actually, yes. I have 2 PS3's and find it very convenient to have my PSN games on both consoles. Actually, Steam is probably the best example of why account based content is better than console based- you have those games forever, regardless if your PC dies, or if you upgrade your PC.

There are tons of advantages of having content tied to an account rather than to the console. Having to jump through hoops with Nintendo if your Wii U ever dies/is lost/stolen is a pain you don't have to deal with when content is tied to your account. Consider the future- in 10 years, will Nintendo still transfer data for a system and network they don't even support anymore? I don't think so, but you would with Steam.
#8DTY3Posted 5/9/2013 9:56:34 PM
Schwepps01 posted...

Who pissed in your corn flakes?

Anyway consoles, for now, but it will get fixed in an update.

...not that it would affect me anyway. I've never had to transfer my PSN games but it's still nice to have i guess.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#9SocranPosted 5/10/2013 12:15:43 AM(edited)
mettlegear posted...
Schwepps01 posted...

Actually, yes. I have 2 PS3's and find it very convenient to have my PSN games on both consoles. Actually, Steam is probably the best example of why account based content is better than console based- you have those games forever, regardless if your PC dies, or if you upgrade your PC.

There are tons of advantages of having content tied to an account rather than to the console. Having to jump through hoops with Nintendo if your Wii U ever dies/is lost/stolen is a pain you don't have to deal with when content is tied to your account. Consider the future- in 10 years, will Nintendo still transfer data for a system and network they don't even support anymore? I don't think so, but you would with Steam.

He was being sarcastic. And an ass. It's safe to put him on your ignore list, as he has never had anything productive to say since he first came to these boards.

Anyway, Nintendo has heavily implied that they plan to let you transfer accounts on your own in the future, but not until they can impliment new features that prevent abuse. As it stands now, if you could log onto your account from any console, a community of pirates could create a single account, buy every game, and make the name and password public so that everybody could get every game for free. Not only do they have to decide on how they're going to prevent that, they then need to impliment it, which could involve changing the network infrastructure altogether.

So it'll most likely happen, it just needs some time.

Incidentally, your example of "a network they don't even support anymore" is kind of a poor argument, as the same issues could occur if/when Steam ever shuts down. In fact, we're already seeing it happen with PSN, which will be replaced with "Playstation Cloud" on the PS4, and it's been stated that your PSN purchases won't carry over. I'm not sure if they ever retracted that or decided that they'll change it later, though... I haven't heard people get nearly as up in arms about it as you'd think they would, especially when they're so quick to criticize the Virtual Console not instantly upgrading all games to Wii U mode - when the Wii version is still 100% intact and playable on your Wii U.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."