Rumour: latest system update has increased CPU, GPU speed

#1P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 5/10/2013 4:47:30 AM
The rumour comes from a poster on TV Tropes who hasn’t cited any sort of source or provided any evidence, so please do treat this as rumour for now.

Their post reads:

CPU: IBM PowerPC 7xx-based tri-core processor “Espresso” clocked at 1.24 GHz before the 3.0.0 update, 3.24 GHz after the 3.0.0 update. This is an evolution to the Broadway chip used in the Wii, is 64 bit and uses Power6 technote When IBM has said that Nintendo has licensed the Power7 tech from IBM, Nintendo is not using it for the Wii U, explaining its backwards compatibility.

GPU: AMD Radeon High Definition processor codenamed “Latte” with an eDRAM cache built onto the die clocked at 550 MHz before the 3.0.0 update, 800 MHz after the 3.0.0 update.

So following the 3.0.0 update, it is claimed that both the CPU and GPU have seen a clock speed increase. Do you think this is likely?

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/10/wii-u-latest-system-update-has-increased-cpu-gpu-speed-rumour/
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Rayman Legends
#2nonexistingheroPosted 5/10/2013 4:51:45 AM
While it's theoretically possible, I don't think Nintendo will actually do this. If they do overclock, at best it'll be later in the Wii U's lifetime and not as much as in this rumor.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#3thundercat2600Posted 5/10/2013 4:51:52 AM
No chance in hell.

It should be easy to verify, though. Anybody have a kill-a-watt meter? Did Wii U's power consumption triple after the update?
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#4godplaysSNESPosted 5/10/2013 4:54:12 AM
thundercat2600 posted...
No chance in hell.

It should be easy to verify, though. Anybody have a kill-a-watt meter? Did Wii U's power consumption triple after the update?

Placing the hand on the box should also be enough to notice a difference in cases like this

It surprises me they didn't increase the RAM as well however
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 4:55:32 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
While it's theoretically possible, I don't think Nintendo will actually do this. If they do overclock, at best it'll be later in the Wii U's lifetime and not as much as in this rumor.

Didn't some people say something about them currently being underclocked? If underclocked they could just unlock the speed to the standard instead if actually overclocking.
---
#6asmodai48Posted 5/10/2013 4:57:10 AM
No chance.
#7P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 5:10:28 AM(edited)
Here's the other rumor regarding "hidden power reserves"

gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/65338991/733184893

---
#8GLDanzegoPosted 5/10/2013 5:11:10 AM
A 2 GHz increase in speed? No, lol. Not going to happen.
#9ska_dude101Posted 5/10/2013 5:11:27 AM
lol @ Nintendo overclocking through a patch. Plain stupid.

inb4 Wii U's start catching fire.
#10FayeLadyPosted 5/10/2013 5:13:33 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
nonexistinghero posted...

Didn't some people say something about them currently being underclocked? If underclocked they could just unlock the speed to the standard instead if actually overclocking.

Ive heard rumors that the gamepad is underclocked, for battery reasons, but nothing about the system.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.