I feel the PlayStation 4 adds 'touch gameplay' to consoles better than the Wii U

#1ChevelIePosted 5/11/2013 7:02:13 AM
Much better in fact, a touchpad is far more efficient and logical than putting a touchscreen on a console's controller. The main point is to add touch functionality and a touchpad does the job without making the controller so wide and obscurely shaped like the Wii U's gamepad.

With the PS4's DualShock 4, Sony is basically saying "Here you go, you have the option to make use of it or not" but the Wii U's gamepad obviously is forced to make use of that screen on it. I just feel it ultimately distracts the developers for needing to focus on it rather than a touchpad which is pretty much an extra tool to make use of when designing gameplay.

Also I just dont think a screen on the controller for console gaming thats played on a TV/Monitor works anywhere near as well as the two screen gaming on DS/3DS. The screens are lined up together while there's a large sense of detachment between the TV and gamepad screen.

What I truly appreciate though is that Sony gives the option to have "Off screen play" support for PS4 games via the PlayStation Vita's "Remote Play" feature. Taking the console experience to a handheld device doesnt appeal to me, Im probably still going to play 95% of my PS4 games on my large TV despite owning a PS Vita, but its nice that those who care for that can do it that way while the rest of us dont have to have a tacked on screen on our controllers despite never using the feature.

I just dont think Nintendo thought out the Wii U concept thoroughly while making the console, or maybe they did and prioritized the necessity of needing a gimmick like the Wii U gamepad to attract casual gamers not caring abut its flaws.
---
Open fire
#2HungoverHero777Posted 5/11/2013 7:07:24 AM
The difference is that everyone that buys the Wii U gets the option of Off-screen play, while not a lot of people own/are willing to pay for a Vita.
---
The best gaming group on YouTube!:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LetsPlay/videos?flow=grid&view=1
#3pixel378Posted 5/11/2013 7:09:25 AM
I agree, Sony is making it optional, Nintendo is shoving it down you're throat calling it innovation.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#4DeathSoul2000Posted 5/11/2013 7:10:02 AM
I'd rather not have any touch-control, either via a screen or a touch pad.
#5The_Mana_LegendPosted 5/11/2013 7:10:07 AM
Congratulations, you've fallen for another Sony gimmick that Sony will never use again outside of their launch titles.
---
What can I do to save Sony?
#6IcedEarthaholicPosted 5/11/2013 7:14:05 AM
Speaking of "touching", wanna touch my hog?
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#7b1gt0nePosted 5/11/2013 7:15:21 AM
joke topic
#8AhnoldDoodPosted 5/11/2013 7:21:08 AM(edited)
Oh, look, the Sony ponies are here already.

1) The PS4 isn't even close to being released yet, so don't pretend that its doing something cool and big when it isn't.

2) You write as if you have to use the screen for Wii U games. Guess what? I can play NSMBU, Tekken and Batman perfectly fine without. And again, unless you have the reflexes of a sloth, you'll have no problem with looking from the GamePad and TV.

But, no, obviously Sony has the right idea for Off-TV Play. "Hey, wanna play Knack without a TV? Go buy a $250+ handheld. Perfect.
#9F31LeopardPosted 5/11/2013 7:29:33 AM
U pad also has a built in mic and speakers so you don't have to use a headset to chat in games like MH3U. It also has built in cameras. Video chat is pretty good you don't need a separate headset and camera. Off screen play is great and I've used it a lot when the mrs wants to watch her stupid reality shows. The best game to use the U pad so far is Zombi U. One thing which is also good is that you can make games like MH3U have less screen clutter from the HUD by moving it to the U pad. I display the map and inventory on the pad but keep my health and stamina on the tv screen. You can customize it to your liking.
---
PSN:AE86CorollaLevin, NN ID:AE86CorollaLevin, XBL:AE86CorollaGTS
#10VanderZooPosted 5/11/2013 8:40:49 AM
The touch pad ultimately isn't as good as a touch screen, but the advantage is that you can use it intuitively without having to look away from the TV screen, it works just like a track pad on a laptop, and it's multi-touch. I still don't see a whole lot of use for it, but it's not an entirely useless addition. At the very least it can act as a pad for hot keys or whatever.

And the advantage of the Vita/PS4 combo is that you can play PS4 games outside of the house, there's no limit to the range. Vita can basically act like a portable PS4, and for some people that would be worth $250, you have to admit remote play is a pretty cool feature.
---
Man of Steel - 14.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"