Why were so many people expecting much better graphics than this?

#1AlphrinPosted 5/11/2013 7:17:17 PM
I don't get it. When the Wii was first discovered to be a graphical step behind the PS3 and 360, most people at the time seemed to come to the logical conclusion that Nintendo would continue in this manner with the Wii's successors. When the Wii turned out to be successful, this conclusion seemed a guarantee.

Then the Wii U was announced and suddenly, seemingly out of no where, people grew hopeful that Nintendo would jump ahead and catch up to Sony and Microsoft on a graphical level. Then when the Wii U turned out to be comparable to the PS3 and 360, people were disappointed.

It makes no sense. Why did anyone think it was even remotely possible that Nintendo would suddenly abandon the game plan that had worked with the Wii? Had the Wii been a failure, I could understand. But it wasn't. So why the raised expectations?
---
I've decided not to have a signature.
#2MARl0Posted 5/11/2013 7:23:06 PM
I don't know anyone who thought this. Sooo...what exactly was the point you were trying to make? Everyone knew this was going to be how it turned out. A very slight, if any, improvement over the PS3 and 360 in terms of graphics.
---
Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) / Pandora's Tower (Wii)
#3DemonDog666Posted 5/11/2013 7:24:41 PM
Think it was wishful thinking for the most part, like Nintendo having a decent online system with an account system in place with wiiU launch.
#4SolisPosted 5/11/2013 7:25:26 PM
Because a system released 7 years later for a similar launch price should have notably more powerful hardware and therefor, offer better visual quality.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#5Baha05Posted 5/11/2013 7:28:01 PM
Solis posted...
Because a system released 7 years later for a similar launch price should have notably more powerful hardware and therefor, offer better visual quality.

Xbox launched at some $400-500 and PS3 launched at $600. Neither of them could at the time do graphics like the Wii U or their later games.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#6dataDyneSoldierPosted 5/11/2013 7:39:05 PM
MARl0 posted...
I don't know anyone who thought this. Sooo...what exactly was the point you were trying to make? Everyone knew this was going to be how it turned out. A very slight, if any, improvement over the PS3 and 360 in terms of graphics.

It's not an improvement. Why do third party games look better on the other consoles? Maybe the Wii U is SLIGHTLY more powerful, but if no third party software showcases it, then it doesn't matter.
---
Anaheim Ducks 2013 playoff run: Round 1 vs. Detroit Red Wings | Series tied 3-3
Gm 1: 3-1 | Gm 2: 4-5 | Gm 3: 4-0 | Gm 4: 2-3 | Gm 5: 3-2 | Gm 6: 3-4
#7dataDyneSoldierPosted 5/11/2013 7:40:28 PM
Baha05 posted...
Solis posted...

Xbox launched at some $400-500 and PS3 launched at $600. Neither of them could at the time do graphics like the Wii U or their later games.

Strange. I got my 360 for $300 at launch. Then got the fun RROD maybe a month later. lol
---
Anaheim Ducks 2013 playoff run: Round 1 vs. Detroit Red Wings | Series tied 3-3
Gm 1: 3-1 | Gm 2: 4-5 | Gm 3: 4-0 | Gm 4: 2-3 | Gm 5: 3-2 | Gm 6: 3-4
#8Reflex-ArcPosted 5/11/2013 7:42:46 PM
It's Nintendo games in HD.

That's all I wanted, and that's what I got. Worth every penny, IMHO. If I want to be wowed by the cookie cutter multiplats (that I do often enjoy...playing Tomb Raider at the moment. It's gorgeous.), I'll buy them on PC.
---
Edifica adversario tuo aureum pons ad receptum trans
#9Kentaro21Posted 5/11/2013 7:43:26 PM
Some people can't be pleased.
#10SolisPosted 5/11/2013 7:44:34 PM
Baha05 posted...
Solis posted...

Wrong. The Xbox 360 launched for $300/$400, while the PS3 launched at $500/$600. And both were capable of the visuals seen in launch Wii U games.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review