Is the Ouya a threat to the Wii U?

#1Taplamp2Posted 5/11/2013 10:07:29 PM
I never see anyone talking about this system, and yet it's release date is the 25th of this month.

This system which aims to be sold at a dirt cheap price of $99 and will have EVERY game in it's library free-to-try is going to be a VERY attractive alternative to the casual gamer market out there.

Think about it, the casual gaming market is mostly dominated by smartphones/tablets right now. The Ouya is a completely open source, crowdfunded console. The casual market is dominated by users that LOVE their free to play titles on Facebook and their smart devices, and they not only don't mind paying for content in their games and buying DLC left and right, but they're practically addicted to the pay to play services. They normally end up paying more for content than they would for a traditional $60 dollar title.

The gaming industry really wants a medium where they can constantly nickle and dime users with small content here and there, and the Ouya's complete library will be built on that very concept.

If anyone doesn't really know what I'm talking about head here to their information page to really get the info, its a short read. http://www.ouya.tv/discover/

I personally feel that many consumers will ignore this fourth competitor in the console war. But I also think that the majority of consumers are dumb and will look at this $99 console on a shelf beside every expensive console that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will offer and think, "Free to play any game? Only pay for content if I want? It can be a HD multimedia station for my living room? I can mod it however I want legally?" Instant sell.

That's my opinion anyways. What's everyone elses thoughts on this 4th competitor in the upcoming console war?
#2Baha05Posted 5/11/2013 10:09:39 PM
I really doubt it's a threat even to the 360/PS3.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3HaloOfTheSun442Posted 5/11/2013 10:12:45 PM
The Ouya isn't even a threat to the CD-i.
#4nickvd8Posted 5/11/2013 10:18:00 PM
Ouya vs Virtual Boy.... ROUND 1... FIGHT!
---
We need Castlevania: Bloodlines on Wii U VC.
#5dataDyneSoldierPosted 5/11/2013 10:19:50 PM
I'll admit that I haven't done my research, but isn't Ouya just the ability to play smart phone games and apps on your TV?
---
Anaheim Ducks 2013 playoff run: Round 1 vs. Detroit Red Wings | Series tied 3-3
Gm 1: 3-1 | Gm 2: 4-5 | Gm 3: 4-0 | Gm 4: 2-3 | Gm 5: 3-2 | Gm 6: 3-4
#6DTY3Posted 5/11/2013 10:21:16 PM
dataDyneSoldier posted...
I'll admit that I haven't done my research, but isn't Ouya just the ability to play smart phone games and apps on your TV?

Pretty much.

It's gonna bomb.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#7EarthLord_CJPosted 5/11/2013 10:21:48 PM
It's definitely not going to appeal to the core audience, that's for certain. The lack of really strong core titles in the form of 'apps' is going to make it really difficult to those kinds of gamers.
Casual gamers, though? Yeah, something like that is a much more plausible market. The problem at the moment, though, is that there aren't really any killer apps in development for it, let alone exclusives. For people who already play that stuff on their tablets and phones, it's kind of hard to convince people to buy a console purely for them.
The price tag, I think, is definitely its greatest selling point, and it'd be awesome if there were a niche market for that audience, with meaningful third-party developer support for it, too.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#8Taplamp2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 10:24:33 PM
I don't know guys, I don't like the Ouya, and I won't buy it. But I think that is because I, like many of you are educated about the whole gaming media thing.

However, the majority of consumers aren't as knowledgable as us. I really think they'll see $99 and free games as a no brainer. Without considering the fact that all of their games will have pay to play content in them.

Smartphone and tablet users are totally okay with that. We aren't, but we aren't the majority.

The Ouya is free to modify as well, so it can become as versatile and powerful as the users want it to be. Look at the investors and companies that are already backing the Ouya, companies as big as Square Enix, NVIDIA, Namco Bandai and more are funding this project and providing content for it.

I don't think anyone should disregard it so lightly.
#9DTY3Posted 5/11/2013 10:27:57 PM
It's price point is it's only highlight.

Some people are like "BUT IT PLAYZ EMULATERZ! WII POO DOESNT DO DAT"

Then I laugh at those people. The same people who bash others for gettin excited over Earthbound. Hilarious :D
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#10METALINGUS5150Posted 5/11/2013 10:28:00 PM
It depends on what games are developed for it, which contrary to popular belief, is more than smartphone games.