Is the Ouya a threat to the Wii U?

#31Taplamp2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 12:28:41 AM
knightimex posted...
Forget Ouya is fully upgradeable?

Totally upgradeable and moddable in anyway the user can imagine. :/
#32Board_hunter567Posted 5/12/2013 12:49:40 AM(edited)
No, and it was never intended to be.

This has been covered again and again. It's a niche device that will receive annual upgrades (I don't know why you're saying it's upgradable when it's not) and it's real competition are annually upgraded phones and tablets. Or if you prefer, the GamePop, GameStick, and who can forget the EVO line.

A fragmented userbase is a potentially huge problem, and if developers are scared off by the Wii U's current install base they won't touch the Ouya with a ten mile pole. Indies won't be flocking to it either with exclusives since there would be no exposure or profit. They'd much rather go Steam or get a little Kickstarter funding and go to the Big 3's hardware.

It's not designed to sell millions of units to keep the company afloat. If all else fails, or they feel like making a few extra bucks, they can pitch some of their tech to smart TV manufacturers and hopefully get picked up.
#33TaplampPosted 5/12/2013 12:49:21 AM
Board_hunter567 posted...
No, and it was never intended to be.

This has been covered again and again. It's a niche device that will receive annual upgrades (I don't know why you're saying it's upgradable when it's not) and it's real competition are annually upgraded phones and tablets.

It's not designed to sell millions of units to keep the company afloat. If all else fails, or they feel like making a few extra bucks, they can pitch some of their tech to smart TV manufacturers and hopefully get picked up.

To quote their official webpage: "IT’S WHAT’S INSIDE THAT MATTERS.
We’ve outfitted OUYA with NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of internal storage (expandable via USB). So don’t hold back. Whether you use WiFi or Ethernet, download games or stream your favorite videos or music apps in beautiful 1080p HD. And since OUYA is the first totally open video game console, we welcome you to unscrew it and have a look around.

START CODING. GET FAMOUS.
If you’re the kind of person that has that killer game locked inside you, you can build games for OUYA, too. Our tools are free and come with every OUYA—no more excuses."

Ouya allows consumers to modify the hardware and software however they want.
---
UponADarkThorne: When I was a kid, I didn't hate the kid with Sega and he didn't hate me, I'd go over to his home to play Sonic, he'd come over to play Mario.
#34abigexplosionPosted 5/12/2013 12:50:29 AM
Ouya will have a difficult time penetrating the market. PC gamers will stick to their PC's (they always have, and they always will). And then it also has to deal with the fact that it's main attraction is apps, something a smart phone, which is far more widespread, does better. Consoles can at least get good exclusives, Ouya doesn't have much that's exciting.
---
Not changing this signature until a new F-Zero is announced. *started 6/18/10*
F-Zero > Mario Kart. If you disagree, it's because you're bad at F-Zero.
#35Board_hunter567Posted 5/12/2013 1:01:55 AM(edited)
When they say they want you to modify the hardware aspects, they mean the case.

This thing isn't built like a PC. You can't just swap out the RAM or GPU, and from the looks of it they aren't selling upgrade boards (the savings to the consumer would be paltry anyway because the board is the most expensive thing, not the plastic). Even if somebody finds a way to force a hardware upgrade (by buying a Tegra 4 direct from Nvidia and soldering it on the board) it would be way beyond the capabilities of most and would likely not be worth the effort anyway.

It's a neat device and I'll probably pick one up at some point. But despite what they may have originally pitched it as, it's not a game changer.
#36TaplampPosted 5/12/2013 1:09:39 AM
Board_hunter567 posted...
When they say they want you to modify the hardware aspects, they mean the case.

This thing isn't built like a PC. You can't just swap out the RAM or GPU, and from the looks of it they aren't selling upgrade boards (the savings to the consumer would be paltry anyway because the board is the most expensive thing, not the plastic). Even if somebody finds a way to force a hardware upgrade (by buying a Tegra 4 direct from Nvidia and soldering it on the board) it would be way beyond the capabilities of most and would likely not be worth the effort anyway.

It's a neat device and I'll probably pick one up at some point. But despite what they may have originally pitched it as, it's not a game changer.

It certainly wouldn't be an easy swap in/ swap out kind of mod, but they do allow you to tinker with the hardware.
---
UponADarkThorne: When I was a kid, I didn't hate the kid with Sega and he didn't hate me, I'd go over to his home to play Sonic, he'd come over to play Mario.
#37Kiro_namiPosted 5/12/2013 1:23:16 AM
Depends, does the general public know about the Ouya?
---
GameFAQs is like a car crash - you know it's horrible but you just can't turn away.
#38TaplampPosted 5/12/2013 1:30:10 AM
Kiro_nami posted...
Depends, does the general public know about the Ouya?

They will when they go to retailers like Best Buy and Target and see a $99 game console sitting there, telling them that all the games are free to try.
---
#39cybersonic233Posted 5/12/2013 1:48:07 AM
given it can emulate old Nintendo games from launch it will overtake Nintendo into 3rd place
#40Board_hunter567Posted 5/12/2013 2:04:42 AM(edited)
Taplamp posted...
It certainly wouldn't be an easy swap in/ swap out kind of mod, but they do allow you to tinker with the hardware.

To do what with it though?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A69JBcPCEAArXxQ.jpg
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Ouya+Teardown/14224/
There's only so much you could possible do, and upgrading it isn't in that list. As mentioned in the ifixit teardown the heat sink is soldered on (requiring special tools to separate and reapply) and I don't think it's possible to pry anything off.

It's nice to finally be "allowed" to open something you've purchased but unless you just want to break it or maybe get a teeny tiny modchip there's no point. Upgradable hardware isn't what the Ouya is about. It's about being an affordable all-in-one media center with room for annual hardware updates.