In your opinion is the Wii U underpowered?

#101r7gerrabbitPosted 5/12/2013 6:55:37 PM
Yes. But all consoles are weak and underpowered compared to PC. I buy consoles for their exclusives. If I want graphics or power I have my PC.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#102DemonDog666Posted 5/12/2013 7:30:37 PM(edited)
Caliaztec posted...
While this may be true. It really just depends on the engine. If its GPU intensive the WiiU has a far greater chance of running it then one that relies on the CPU.

That's for ps3/360 games... for ps4/next xbox games it's not going to get anything ps3/360 don't get.

r7gerrabbit posted...
Yes. But all consoles are weak and underpowered compared to PC. I buy consoles for their exclusives. If I want graphics or power I have my PC.

And compared to consoles all pcs are insanely inefficient and gameplay stuck at whatever the min specs for the game are.
#103CaliaztecPosted 5/12/2013 11:08:36 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
Caliaztec posted...
While this may be true. It really just depends on the engine. If its GPU intensive the WiiU has a far greater chance of running it then one that relies on the CPU.

That's for ps3/360 games... for ps4/next xbox games it's not going to get anything ps3/360 don't get.

r7gerrabbit posted...

And compared to consoles all pcs are insanely inefficient and gameplay stuck at whatever the min specs for the game are.

I don't quite understand your wording in response to mine. The WiiU could run some next gen PS4/Next Xbox games theoretically, it's not at a complete loss. The GPU is solid and can handle quite a bit. But that's the point if a games engine is more dependent on the GPU it'll more then likely be fine with some changes.

It's not 100% things would have to be reworked and what not. But that's not to say it won't be able to run any of them. That's simply not true. Developers can and will make them work if the incentive is present to do so.

But that doesn't change the fact that current more CPU intensive engines do have a harder time running on the WiiU due to its shortcomings. They definitely should've gone with a new CPU not a heavily modified GameCube/Wii CPU but that's something I'm sure they are aware of by now.

Developers need to have a reason to modify these new next gen game engines. But companies have not shown a willingness to do this with current gen engines like Frostbyte2/3 or Avalanche engine but it wouldn't be terribly profitable to do so.

But the CPU could keep a majority of open world sandbox games off the system because those tend to be a lot more CPU intensive. Which is why we have yet to probably hear about a GTAV announcement and why Lego City UC has some pretty long loads at times.
---
Playing Marvel Heroes, Injustice, Tales of Graces, Lego City UC, MH3U, and Soul Sacrifice.
PSN: Caliaztec --- 3DS Friend Code:1134-7395-5895 NNID: Caliaztec.
#104Maxx_the_SlashPosted 5/12/2013 11:19:00 PM
Right now, no, it's powerful enough. Once the PS4 and Infinity come out, yes unless Nintendo has a secret up it's sleeve.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 103/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#105tyrolzallPosted 5/13/2013 1:38:52 AM
LinkMaster2703 posted...
No, because power doesn't make a game good. The Wii was underpowered last gen and yet Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, etc. were some of my favorite games of the entire generation. If the Wii U ends up being a Nintendo box like the Wii was then I'd be perfectly fine with that, I'm going to be buying a PS4 any ways.

This isn't about games its about POWER. Stop looking for fanboy excuses and give an honest answer to the question.
#106leopoldsharkPosted 5/13/2013 1:46:01 AM
Power has only a small effect on how good a game is. Developers have been working with the constraints of their hardware since video gaming started. The fact is, though, that many developers are tired of working on the same hardware for 7+ years and want new hardware so they can do things they previously couldn't. Graphics can be improved, loading times can be shortened or even masked as to appear non-existent, and frame rates can be increased and stabilized. All of these things can affect a player's enjoyment of the game to some degree.
#107pearl arowanaPosted 5/13/2013 2:20:22 AM
wii u is severely underpower..

just check out its games... its more closely similar in power to ps3/360 than ps4/720

and that is very bad for a new console in 2013.
---
Drones Topic Derailing guidelines ..(rofl)
1) insult nick name 2) insult user level 3) Insult English and grammar
#108ElectricMolePosted 5/13/2013 2:29:16 AM
tyrolzall posted...
LinkMaster2703 posted...
No, because power doesn't make a game good. The Wii was underpowered last gen and yet Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, etc. were some of my favorite games of the entire generation. If the Wii U ends up being a Nintendo box like the Wii was then I'd be perfectly fine with that, I'm going to be buying a PS4 any ways.

This isn't about games its about POWER. Stop looking for fanboy excuses and give an honest answer to the question.

LinkMaster's response was like a miss universe pageant reply that dodged the question and tried to sound like there was some false integrity there. haha
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#109ShankspearePosted 5/13/2013 5:04:31 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Until Nintendo shows their big games, the answer isn't entirely clear. If their big first party stuff fails to impress then I think it's safe to say Nintendo messed up this time. Some games though like Trine 2 and Most Wanted U show nice improvements even though they weren't ground up for Wii U, so I think it's reasonable that we should be excited to see Nintendo's in house offerings.

If 3D Mario/MarioKart/Retro's game don't impress then Wii U officially will have big problems moving forward.

This is probably going to be the only reasonable post in the topic.
#110ShankspearePosted 5/13/2013 5:08:24 AM
shaunme posted...
It was underpowered, as it couldn't even stretch a snes game from 4:3 to 16:9.....but the latest update unlocked the real Wii u's power and overclocked the CPU by 2 whole gigahertz! Without additional cooling, increasing heat and power draw........DAT NINTENDO MAGIC.

.........Dat fishing