POLL: should Nintendo "pull a 3DS" to boost Wii U sales?

#1thundercat2600Posted 5/12/2013 6:59:49 AM
Proposal: Nintendo should drop the Deluxe price to $249, include Nintendo Land and NSMBU as pack-in titles, and have an "ambassador" gift for early adopters - Results (150 votes)
Great idea. This could help Nintendo regain some momentum before PS4 and Xbox 720 arrive.
70% (105 votes)
Bad idea. The price is fine as is.
30% (45 votes)
This poll is now closed.
After a decent launch, Wii U sales have slowed to a crawl. It sold worse in January-April than Xbox 360 or PS3 have EVER sold in their worst months. Nintendo wanted to get a head start on Sony and MS, but they've lost all momentum just a cople months after launch.

Should Nintendo use the 3DS strategy to reinvigorate sales?
---
Nintendo stock the day before Wii U was announced: 26,500
Nintendo stock today: 10,900
#2Baha05Posted 5/12/2013 7:04:08 AM
No, the price drop worked for the 3DS because there were games coming out that holiday season, others that were announced for 2012, and still unknown titles and at best the system would go as far as $300
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3Murderstorm117Posted 5/12/2013 7:04:49 AM
Its the only thing they can do as the 3ds didn't have any games when the price dropped but it sold well as it was cheap
---
NNID Mstorm
#4Baha05Posted 5/12/2013 7:06:27 AM
Murderstorm117 posted...
Its the only thing they can do as the 3ds didn't have any games when the price dropped but it sold well as it was cheap

lol no there were and it had games that came out that holiday season.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#5zatOMGPosted 5/12/2013 7:09:12 AM
A price drop can't hurt (well, it could hurt financially). Might draw more parents/family into buying it as a Christmas present when given the choice between a more expensive next gen console, as I assume the Nextbox and PS4 will be.

They will have some big games supposedly coming this holiday, though, so a price drop may be useless as I'm sure it will be cheaper already than the other two consoles.

All in all, I really don't care. The Sega Saturn was a "failure" and I still play that f***er. Panzer Dragoon Saga 4 lyfe bros!
#6DemonDog666Posted 5/12/2013 7:11:21 AM
If they do you can be sure the launch sales of their next console won't be very good because everyone will be expecting a price drop.
#7userfrigginamePosted 5/12/2013 7:16:44 AM(edited)
I don't like the idea. I feel like it shows a lack of faith in Nintendo in their own main games to sell consoles. I mean Nintendo not having a press conference at E3 is one thing, but with a price drop before the other consoles drop, it'd just look like they're running with their tail between their legs. Not a good image for Nintendo when they're about to release a plethora of well-known franchise games.
#8Baha05Posted 5/12/2013 7:20:05 AM
Not only that but the poll question would lose them some money. The 3DS didn't even pack 2 new 3DS games in it's price drop. 250 is way too low and sales would spike for a bit then go back down, like the 3DS did.
---
#9deathwave21Posted 5/12/2013 7:24:26 AM
I don't like the idea. I feel like it shows a lack of faith in Nintendo in their own main games to sell consoles. I mean Nintendo not having a press conference at E3 is one thing, but with a price drop before the other consoles drop, it'd just look like they're running with their tail between their legs. Not a good image for Nintendo when they're about to release a plethora of well-known franchise games.

This
---
Do you want to go to college for free?
#10DiscostewSMPosted 5/12/2013 7:29:26 AM
Baha05 posted...
Not only that but the poll question would lose them some money. The 3DS didn't even pack 2 new 3DS games in it's price drop. 250 is way too low and sales would spike for a bit then go back down, like the 3DS did.

So many uninformed people believe the way to "pull a 3DS" is to reduce the price and throw in old games for early purchasers, when the true "pulling a 3DS" involved getting more games out
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project