On VC game prices.

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/12/2013 9:16:40 PM
Another generation has passed since the VC launched on wii, so technically, today the SNES games are as old as the NES games where when the wii VC service started.

So shouldn't there be like some sort of price drop?
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#2GiygasminionPosted 5/12/2013 9:17:47 PM
Yep.
---
NN ID: Achilles11
http://backloggery.com/schamman89
#3KaiserWarriorPosted 5/12/2013 9:18:03 PM
There would be if Nintendo cared about actual value of the product.

But given that it's 20+ year old digital data that can be infinitely reproduced at no cost and it cost them effectively nothing to put on the VC, they can charge whatever they want. If even one person buys it they've made a profit.
#4CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 9:23:42 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
There would be if Nintendo cared about actual value of the product.

But given that it's 20+ year old digital data that can be infinitely reproduced at no cost and it cost them effectively nothing to put on the VC, they can charge whatever they want. If even one person buys it they've made a profit.

I don't think thats QUITE accurate...

The way I feel is... If I knew more about what that money supported I might be a lot more comfortable with it.
Does it help support the network interface? After all, it is distributed though Nintendo's network resources.
Does it help to support miiverse?
Does it help to support the emulation of more titles for the VC?
Or does it just go right into Iwatas personal savings accnt?
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#5KaiserWarriorPosted 5/12/2013 9:31:14 PM
Allow me to put it into some perspective with a competing product.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is a collection of Genesis, Master System, and Arcade titles for the PS3 and 360. It contains 48 games in all, 49 if you're counting the two different versions of Altered Beast (Genesis and original Arcade). You get the option of displaying the games in their original aspect or in a scaled widescreen view, the option of several different smoothing filters to apply, and the games are listed in a menu system that lets you sort them by various criteria (title, release year, category etc.), assign them custom ratings and sort them by rating, etc.

Right now, on Amazon, you can get this game for $16, brand new. If you go with a non-Amazon vendor, you can get it as low as $12. Which means you're paying roughly 24 cents per game for Sega Genesis games.

Or you can go with Nintendo, who sell you the straight-up game with no frills, no visual display options, no filters, and no easy sorting system (each game is an individual channel on your WiiU menu), for $8 a game for comparable (SNES) games.

The Virtual Console is an enormous ripoff.
#6NejiHyuga900Posted 5/12/2013 9:42:42 PM
From: KaiserWarrior | Posted: 5/13/2013 12:31:14 AM | #005
Allow me to put it into some perspective with a competing product.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is a collection of Genesis, Master System, and Arcade titles for the PS3 and 360. It contains 48 games in all, 49 if you're counting the two different versions of Altered Beast (Genesis and original Arcade). You get the option of displaying the games in their original aspect or in a scaled widescreen view, the option of several different smoothing filters to apply, and the games are listed in a menu system that lets you sort them by various criteria (title, release year, category etc.), assign them custom ratings and sort them by rating, etc.

Right now, on Amazon, you can get this game for $16, brand new. If you go with a non-Amazon vendor, you can get it as low as $12. Which means you're paying roughly 24 cents per game for Sega Genesis games.

Or, you can get Sega Genesis Classic Collection: Gold Edition for PC, which has 46 Sega Genesis games, and you could get one on Amazon for about $5 (plus shipping). Totally worth it. http://amzn.com/B004GGO1JA
---
Xbox/Windows LIVE Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji | Steam ID: NejiHyuga900
I am a thunder dragon. Hear me roar thunder and breath out lightning!
#7KaiserWarriorPosted 5/12/2013 9:45:53 PM
NejiHyuga900 posted...
Or, you can get Sega Genesis Classic Collection: Gold Edition for PC, which has 46 Sega Genesis games, and you could get one on Amazon for about $5 (plus shipping). Totally worth it. http://amzn.com/B004GGO1JA

Exactly. It's not the only product off its kind out there. In the thread on 'what if Earthbound was $15', I did the math for the Megaman Anniversary Collection.

In all cases, the Virtual Console is completely overpriced junk compared to the competing options available on the market. And that's if you're being nice and only comparing it to legitimate options; certainly it has nothing on less savory methods of playing classic games.
#8KaosAssassinPosted 5/12/2013 9:54:41 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
NejiHyuga900 posted...

Exactly. It's not the only product off its kind out there. In the thread on 'what if Earthbound was $15', I did the math for the Megaman Anniversary Collection.

In all cases, the Virtual Console is completely overpriced junk compared to the competing options available on the market. And that's if you're being nice and only comparing it to legitimate options; certainly it has nothing on less savory methods of playing classic games.

Honestly would rather buy all the megaman games on vc then play the abomination that is megaman anniversary collection
#9KaiserWarriorPosted 5/12/2013 9:57:09 PM
What are you talking about? If you play the games in original mode, it's exactly the same as the originals except that the gamecube version has jump and shoot reversed from how they're laid out on the NES. The only deficiency is that 8 has the boss voice clips played at the wrong speed.
#10CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 9:58:51 PM
A lot of it is branding ( image ) though.
I mean, Nintendo is never going undersell mario, and any of their major IPs.

Part of the reason why the sonic collection can go for so little is...
Sonic doesn't have the value it once did.
The name sonic does not means as much.

I know that all seems silly, but...
Its a big deal for companies.

Not sure it validates it, but... Yeah.
I'm pretty sure a bigger point, from a consumer perspective, is the sorts of free services that sales support which we take for granted.
Like I say, the only issue there is we don't have much information on what exactly is supported, nor do we have much influence to say "Oh, I want to support ______ by buying this game".
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656