There are adults alive today that were born after the N64/Playstation/Saturn Gen

#1KaiserWarriorPosted 5/13/2013 5:01:14 PM
The year is 2013. 1995 was 18 years ago. There are now people that are legally adults (in the United States, anyway) that were born in the same year that saw the N64, Playstation, and Saturn released to the world. By the time they were 5 years old (about old enough to start really playing and understanding video games, maybe slightly older), the Playstation 2 was released.

These people have likely never played an SNES or Sega Genesis. They've likely never even seen a physical NES, Master System or Turbografix-16/PC Engine.

Discuss.
#2shaunmePosted 5/13/2013 5:04:03 PM
I feel sorry for them
---
MY Wii u IS a next gen console!!
It just has LAST gen hardware. NNID:shaunme
#3_FalstaffPosted 5/13/2013 5:04:52 PM
If you consider an 18 year old an adult, this is true.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#4zatOMGPosted 5/13/2013 5:05:16 PM
That does seem totally weird to me, as I have been playing since the NES was released. Sometimes I still think Marilyn Manson is relevant to music, too. No I don't. lol

Anyway... it is interesting, for me, to hear how they view games that I consider to be masterpieces. I mean, I always loved Ocarina of Time, it was insanely inspiring as a gamer back then. But it was "the norm" for them, so they don't see it in quite as revolutionary a light as I do. Pretty intriguing.

Regardless, its fun to see what their "classics" are versus mine. So much love for games like Banjo Kazooie (again, in my experience) from that group. Cool thread, TC! :)
#5PhoslusPosted 5/13/2013 5:05:50 PM
Congrats, you've made people feel old.
---
"Common sense is not common"
-My 7th grade teacher
#6Muljo StphoPosted 5/13/2013 5:14:24 PM
They've likely never even seen a physical NES, Master System or Turbografix-16/PC Engine.

Hell, I started with the NES when I was about 4 or 5 or so (I was born in 83) and I don't think I've ever seen a Turbografix either. (i'd never even heard of it before the Wii VC, actually.)

I've seen a Genesis (store displays, and at a cousin or friend's house) but I never really played that much on it (Toejam and Earl at the store display, some Gargoyles game at my cousin's house, and maybe some Batman game at a friend's house).
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#7Golden MavenPosted 5/13/2013 5:19:30 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
1995 was 18 years ago.

Great, now I feel old.

Chrono Trigger came out 18 years ago... Blows my mind. Time really does go faster as we get older.
#8DiscostewSMPosted 5/13/2013 5:22:16 PM
shaunme posted...
I feel sorry for them

I do as well. Those days were glorious, and it's a shame they'll never experience them like we did.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#9squatch22Posted 5/13/2013 5:24:08 PM
Yep. I feel old :(
---
Sony stock before PS2: 16,250 - Sony stock now: 1,855
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#10Golden MavenPosted 5/13/2013 5:25:29 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Those days were glorious

Gaming today is much more consistent. Sure, there was more "creative freedom", but the greats were small in numbers.

Was I the only kid who went to the rental store every weekend, hoping I picked a decent game? Nowadays every game is dissected online and you can pick wisely, not to mention that online gives games near infinite replay value.