There are adults alive today that were born after the N64/Playstation/Saturn Gen

#21DTY3Posted 5/13/2013 6:11:11 PM
Um Im 19 and my first game was SMB3 on the NES...

then my second was SM64.

I pretty much played the hell out of the N64 library, as well as the handheld Genesis I had. And the damn Game.com.

And the Saturn. And Dreamcast. And PS1.

THEN we got that 6th gen stuff.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#22brainfreeze10Posted 5/13/2013 7:13:51 PM(edited)
I turn 18 in a couple of months and I have every old Nintendo console in my house, and personally own an Atari 2600. Some of my favorite games were on SNES, and Ocarina of Time is still brilliant to me. It's not really the same anymore because everything's been rereleased so many times that any serious gamer is still gonna play the likes of SMW and Chrono Trigger no matter when they were born.

The only thing I genuinely feel I missed out on was back when there was a lot more competition on the market; stuff like the TurboGrafx or the Intellivision. Even Sega. I TOTALLY missed out on Sega's consoles. It's weird to me to even think of them as ever being so big in the market because I've never enjoyed their games, but they must have been like Playstation back in the day. Pretty crazy.

Anyway, idk, just a couple of thoughts on the topic.

Edit, WARNING WALL OF TEXT: Also, something only slightly related but that I've been thinking a lot about lately, is Star Wars. I never really understood the immense hatred the prequel trilogy got. I mean don't get me wrong, they aren't great by any stretch of the imagination (well, I did actually enjoy the 3rd, TBH), but I never thought they deserved the endless beating they get now-a-days. I was pretty captivated as a kid.

But recently someone explained to me that the prequel trilogy is crappy because of how it ruined the originals. Destroying the mystery, putting characters where they don't need to be, making Darth Vader seem weak, etc. and it kind of hit me: I've never lived in a world where I didn't know Darth Vader was Luke's father. I never didn't know about kid-Anakin who would become Darth Vader, never thought the C-3PO was anything BUT Anakin's invention, I always imagined Yoda as the crazy-jumpy lightsaber dude.

It's really weird for me that, as much as I enjoy Star Wars, I can never really understand the context in which it was originally released. I wonder how shocked people really were when they had the big reveal at the end of Empire. It was kind of a weird moment when I realized how big of a difference one decade can make in your perception of things when I have siblings more than 10 years older than me. Meh.
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299
#23fhsfootball74Posted 5/13/2013 7:04:58 PM
Whats strange to me is now I'm at an age where there are dudes playing in pro sports leagues that are younger than I am, wtf lol
---
Blue Jackets, Columbus Crew, Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes
PSN-Fhsfootball74 NNID- returnoftheryan
#24AL KATRAZZPosted 5/14/2013 3:29:17 AM
this is such a eye opening topic. I'm 30 now and 1995 was the year I remember most in gaming. playing super Mario rpg and just waiting for Christmas to finally get my n64.
---
PSN ID: ALKATRAZZ, Gamertag o AL KATRAZZ o
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6214-5890
#25r7gerrabbitPosted 5/14/2013 4:16:19 AM
I wouldn't consider 18 to be an adult. They're still retarded and half brain dead from all the teenage hormones.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#26pokemonfreak97Posted 5/14/2013 4:23:15 AM
r7gerrabbit posted...
I wouldn't consider 18 to be an adult. They're still <this breaks the TOS, apparently > and half brain dead from all the teenage hormones.

Again, LEGALLY an adult.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#27Felicia_catladyPosted 5/14/2013 4:50:28 AM
sentoworf posted...
Golden Maven posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Those days were glorious

Gaming today is much more consistent. Sure, there was more "creative freedom", but the greats were small in numbers.

Was I the only kid who went to the rental store every weekend, hoping I picked a decent game? Nowadays every game is dissected online and you can pick wisely, not to mention that online gives games near infinite replay value.

I almost rented Superman 64...

And...

I actually BOUGHT Superman 64!!

And I bought ET for the Atari 2600, and Exerion on the Nes!! o.O
---
Marcy.
:3
#28GencoilPosted 5/14/2013 4:55:02 AM
brainfreeze10 posted...
It's really weird for me that, as much as I enjoy Star Wars, I can never really understand the context in which it was originally released. I wonder how shocked people really were when they had the big reveal at the end of Empire. It was kind of a weird moment when I realized how big of a difference one decade can make in your perception of things when I have siblings more than 10 years older than me. Meh.

Well I was born in the mid-80's so I my first Star Wars experience was through television. But I remember watching that scene for the first time and it wasn't really that shocking, I was more like "huh... who would've thought!".
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#29gameG3ni3Posted 5/14/2013 5:12:09 AM
They post here all the time...
---
("+[__]::") = love
#30xOmniCloudxPosted 5/14/2013 5:14:30 AM
r7gerrabbit posted...
I wouldn't consider 18 to be an adult. They're still retarded and half brain dead from all the teenage hormones.

This doesn't explain so many of the older adults that aren't teens that still exhibit those qualities, nor the few teens that exhibit the absolute opposite of those qualities.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.