How many WiiUs need to sell before EA puts tail between their legs??

#21TerotrousPosted 5/14/2013 5:15:29 PM(edited)
Pigfarts posted...
Please explain to me CoD every year, and GTA, I'sure there are many more. That fact is nintendo doesn't have one smash hit 3rd party title for Wii or U.

Uh, no, there's literally just those two. Those two plus Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Wii Fit, and Angry Birds are the best-selling franchises in gaming.

If you're Call of Duty or GTA, you can spend nearly infinite amounts of money on a game and be guaranteed to make it all back. For them, a 100 million budget makes sense. However, very few other games can make a profit with a budget of that size. But they don't have to. If your budget is around 10 million, you can sell 500k and make a profit, and that's what the majority of Wii games are doing. Spending 10 mil and selling 500k is much better than spending 80 mil and selling 2 mil, which is something most trolls can never wrap their head around.

There were a record number of studios going bankrupt this gen, and Wii was only involved in like one of them, almost every case was a company that invested way too heavily into an HD game that didn't meet its sales targets.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#22zoogelioPosted 5/14/2013 5:34:15 PM
Terotrous posted...
Pigfarts posted...
Please explain to me CoD every year, and GTA, I'sure there are many more. That fact is nintendo doesn't have one smash hit 3rd party title for Wii or U.

Uh, no, there's literally just those two. Those two plus Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Wii Fit, and Angry Birds are the best-selling franchises in gaming.

If you're Call of Duty or GTA, you can spend nearly infinite amounts of money on a game and be guaranteed to make it all back. For them, a 100 million budget makes sense. However, very few other games can make a profit with a budget of that size. But they don't have to. If your budget is around 10 million, you can sell 500k and make a profit, and that's what the majority of Wii games are doing. Spending 10 mil and selling 500k is much better than spending 80 mil and selling 2 mil, which is something most trolls can never wrap their head around.

There were a record number of studios going bankrupt this gen, and Wii was only involved in like one of them, almost every case was a company that invested way too heavily into an HD game that didn't meet its sales targets.

It amazes me how many people monitor gaming news for Nintendo doom & gloom news or pro-Sony news, yet ignore story after story of studios going under and seem to think the industry is flying as high as it was for much of the '00s.
#23_FalstaffPosted 5/14/2013 5:51:03 PM
I have a feeling that the difference in third party sales isn't as great as some would like to believe, but I'll have to wait until later to find out.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#24xChaosLordxPosted 5/14/2013 5:57:40 PM
PS4 and 720 are going to pass Wii-Us sold relatively quickly. I predict they continue selling more PS3s and 360s for at least 3 more years, and each month 360/PS3 will be outselling the Wii-U even after the PS4/720 come out.

On the other hand I think the Vita is pretty much done. Its time to pull the plug already. Its been out long enough, 2 1/2 years. If it hasn't gained any traction by now then its never going to.
#25dcamp27Posted 5/14/2013 6:08:12 PM
In all fairness, EA was huge supporters of the Wii right from the start in 2006. A lot of companies didn't jump aboard the Wii when it first came out (THQ and Yukes), but EA was there from the beginning.
#26jackorhoadsPosted 5/14/2013 6:12:31 PM
I think EA is too busy working on their death star to worry about us.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#27andrea987Posted 5/14/2013 6:13:47 PM
Terotrous posted...
Pigfarts posted...

At least someone gets it. Nicely put too.
---
Now playing: Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni, Need for Speed MWU, Fifa 13, Sonic Racing.
Just finished: Batman ACAE, Trine 2 DC.
#28PigfartsPosted 5/15/2013 5:53:49 AM
Terotrous posted...
Pigfarts posted...

This was about 3rd party support and you go off and talk about nintendo 1st party games. good job. The point was 3rd party game have the lowest attach rate of all the system.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#29AstralFrostPosted 5/15/2013 6:02:33 AM
EA has already released games for the Wii U. Want more? Go buy multiple copies of those because until they sell millions the Wii U isn't getting anything else from them.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#30Neo_HeartlessPosted 5/15/2013 6:23:55 AM
Pigfarts posted...
thats total sales, attach rate is a %, those are awful sales numbers the top 2 3rd party games are both just dance at 5 million on a system that sold over 100M units meaning 5% of the people bought it.

The next 3rd party game that is not just dance is considerable less at 3.3 million less then 3.3% of the wii U owners.

You realise that those are god awful percents right?

3.3 million people bought Tomb Raider over 360, PS3 and PC. If we say 1.5 million of those bought a console version, then the attach rate of that game is 2% assuming current sales of both consoles are at 75 million.

If we say MW3 sold 10 million on 360 at a time when there were 65 million 360s, then the attach rate is a more respectable 15%. Bump that up to 75 million then it becomes 13%. And this is a really rough estimate, because the sales of CoD have been declining.

Lets be honest though, no game sells anywhere near as much as Modern Warfare. Dead Space 3 needed to sell 5 million to break even and failed. DmC only managed to sell 1.15 million over 2 consoles and PC. Perhaps you shouldn't be looking at attach rates, but rather the quality of games?

Oh, and as a hilarious aside. NSMBU has apparently sold 2.01 million copies. If the numbers of WiiUs are correct at 3.45 million, that's a whopping 58% attach rate.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]