If you put a Wii game into the Wii U will it play in HD instead of SD?

#1ajko000Posted 5/14/2013 6:13:33 PM
Will it?

Huh?
---
I am EvilBeards.
#2Nin3DSFanPosted 5/14/2013 6:15:10 PM
Well personally I think of it like this.

If HD contains more pixels than SD, then where to the extra pixels come from?

It is impossible to simply make a non-HD game, HD.
You can stretch it, or upscale it, but it won't actually be HD. It's technically impossible. As I said, where do the extra pixels come from?
---
Gentlemen, we tnodah now!
#3wombatkiddPosted 5/14/2013 6:19:07 PM
The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that the games are pressed at 480p, but the wii u upscales them to a resolution of 720p or 1080p (depending on console settings) the same way a blu-ray player upscales a DVD.
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#4ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 7:17:12 PM
Lol I didn't think anyone would take this seriously.
---
I am EvilBeards.
#5KingTremoloPosted 5/14/2013 7:21:59 PM
Nin3DSFan posted...

You can stretch it, or upscale it, but it won't actually be HD. It's technically impossible. As I said, where do the extra pixels come from?

That's not actually true; it is possible to render games at a higher internal resolution than originally intended. Of course, this will only actually work (and look good at all) on a polygonal game.

There are a few problems associated with rendering at a higher internal resolution, such as muddy looking glitches, as well as some assets (especially 2D effects) messing up and not aligning well. So all said, Nintendo chose the safer route by making the games render in their intended resolution.
#6KinthurPosted 5/14/2013 7:26:39 PM
No, but I've noticed while playing Xenoblade that the Wii U upscales much sharper than my TV. Wii games on my Wii U look more jagged instead of blurry.

I guess it's just a matter of preference, but I much prefer a sharp picture even if jagged.
#7TheUnboundOnePosted 5/14/2013 8:45:37 PM
ajko000 posted...
Will it?

Huh?

No. You need a PC and some knowledge for that.
---
Truth is only known once you step outside the information bubble.
#8ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 8:49:15 PM
TheUnboundOne posted...
ajko000 posted...
Will it?

Huh?

No. You need a PC and some knowledge for that.

OH NAO I GIT ET! Fankz.
---
I am EvilBeards.
#9SolisPosted 5/14/2013 8:57:17 PM
Nin3DSFan posted...

I don't think you understand how games are rendered. You can certainly add "extra pixels" to pre-existing game content, because the actual drawing of the image happens in realtime. Wii games can be re-rendered at any conceivable resolution with the right software and configuration (in this case, emulation would be the easiest option for that).

The Wii U, however, only upscales from the native resolution using natively compatible hardware, rather than changing the resolution or running the games differently from how they originally did.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review