Metroid Fusion > Super Metroid

#31AlustarPosted 5/16/2013 2:30:43 PM(edited)
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
So far I've only encountered one WTF moment, the game feels straightforward and the bosses feel forgettable, especially compared to the likes of SA-X and Nightmare. Plus, it feels like nothing is happening.

SA-X and Nightmare are highlights of Fusion and they are a large reason why Fusion is interesting. I am sure nostalgia plays a huge role in people's perceptions of Super Metroid. Compared to anything else prior, Super Metroid felt immense and mysterious. Each powerup was a new discovery and the bosses were big and scary. Super Metroid is reason for the "Metroidvania" games and subgenre. Also where you say Super Metroid feels like nothing is happening others would say the monologues and orders from Adam (computer Adam) are annoying and detract from the exploration. Not to be a jerk and bringing up your love for Other M but it seems like you are more interested in the heavy story Metroid games instead of the more subdued Super Metroid and Metroid Prime games.

Edit: Hopefully what I said makes sense, I was just kinda rambling :)
#32Drkr_ZenPosted 5/16/2013 2:36:06 PM
Fusion was great, but its far from topping other Metroid games for one key reason... its a hand holder. Its a Metroid game that's top quality, but made for people that need to be strung along with breadcrumbs.

But that's just one guy's opinion... Super Metroid, Metroid and Prime remain top 3, in my book.
---
Playing: MGR:R, BL2 (UVHM), Tomb Raider
GOTY: Bayonetta (2010) DX:HR (2011) Borderlands 2 (2012) BS: Infinite (2013)
#33Cecil255Posted 5/16/2013 2:37:15 PM(edited)
I found Fusion to be stiff and too contrived. Super Metroid was so much more atmospheric and the gameplay way smoother, silky smooth. The walking/running in Fusion is so goofy and offputting.

I've only played Fusion once, but I just found it pretty forgettable. The locales all blended together and I don't remember any of the music and only one of the boss battles. Super Metroid... *mwah* masterpiece.
#34muffinmasherPosted 5/16/2013 2:38:16 PM
Putting in my two cents... I think the following:

Fusion>Super Metroid>Metroid II

In my opinion anyway, but I haven't finished super metroid yet, so it may take the final cake at the end.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654 8353 8201
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#35Baha05Posted 5/16/2013 2:39:17 PM
Schwepps01 posted...
I don't know about any of you, but I still think Metroid II is one of the best and most underrated games of all time. Sure it did things its own way, but the atmosphere was nearly unparalleled.

Not sure if serious or not. Metroid 2 was a freaking nightmare to play.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#36The_BonesPosted 5/16/2013 2:56:04 PM
Fusion is probably my 2nd favorite of the series but it doesn't beat Super Metroid for me. SM hasn't gotten old no matter how many times I've played it and like others have said I think its an overall better experience than Fusion due to the level design, music, and I also prefer its physics compared to the GBA games.
#37NyyarkPosted 5/16/2013 3:03:05 PM
For understanding the nostalgia, keep in mind that the huge sprites in super metroid were pretty crazy. It wasn't a SNES launch game, but big crazy sprites were a thing that was impossible previous gen, kind of like the 3D of the following Gen. This game really showcased large detailed sprites.

Thus The huge real Kraid after the small metroid 1 sized Kraid was that much more mind blowing. Also the living chozo statue was crazy because they could use sprites for set pieces, and thus everything that moved wasn't color mismatched.

They layering was also pretty big if I remember rightly, having a good foreground and background really made a difference.

Fusion came out over a decade later didn't it? Like 2 whole gens? Doesn't make fusion a not great game.
#38P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 5/16/2013 4:00:32 PM
Alustar posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
So far I've only encountered one WTF moment, the game feels straightforward and the bosses feel forgettable, especially compared to the likes of SA-X and Nightmare. Plus, it feels like nothing is happening.

SA-X and Nightmare are highlights of Fusion and they are a large reason why Fusion is interesting. I am sure nostalgia plays a huge role in people's perceptions of Super Metroid. Compared to anything else prior, Super Metroid felt immense and mysterious. Each powerup was a new discovery and the bosses were big and scary. Super Metroid is reason for the "Metroidvania" games and subgenre. Also where you say Super Metroid feels like nothing is happening others would say the monologues and orders from Adam (computer Adam) are annoying and detract from the exploration. Not to be a jerk and bringing up your love for Other M but it seems like you are more interested in the heavy story Metroid games instead of the more subdued Super Metroid and Metroid Prime games.

Edit: Hopefully what I said makes sense, I was just kinda rambling :)

No, what you've said makes perfect sense. Perhaps it also doesn't help that my first Metroid game was Fusion (though I'm basing all my experiences on these past few months not years) so I don't have that same impact as those who played it when they were younger.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Rayman Legends