I doubt LPers are angry with nintendo

#71AsellusPosted 5/16/2013 9:20:50 PM
people are actually paid by the owners of the film to do so

But a film's a static thing, it's always the same each time it's played. Outside of a few exceptions like Dragon's Lair though every person who plays a game will have a unique experience with it.

I'm curious how far this goes - if I were to make say a video of myself playing Scrabble with friends would Milton Bradley be able to claim ownership of it?
#72GoombaX(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 9:22:59 PM
laxnd23 posted...
GoombaX posted...

And? LPers edit their own work. The game in of itself is not their own work I'll give you that, but, and this is an abstract concept to consider, the gameplay itself is. That is because each gameplay is a unique experience and garners different reactions from each person. If for example, you and I each made a video of us playing Assassin's Creed 3, many people would see very different videos, with completely different audiotracks, a different progression, etc. So by doing the commentary and editing, it can be argued a Let's Player is making their own product.

and? nintendo isnt asking them to do so. Its a hobby. Seriously dont argue about things you dont understand. The world is a lot more complicated than your black and white vision you have of it.
Also no you cant argue they are making their own product because they are using copyrighted material.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Injustice, MvC 2, SMW
#73laxnd23Posted 5/16/2013 9:24:22 PM
GoombaX posted...
laxnd23 posted...
GoombaX posted...

And? LPers edit their own work. The game in of itself is not their own work I'll give you that, but, and this is an abstract concept to consider, the gameplay itself is. That is because each gameplay is a unique experience and garners different reactions from each person. If for example, you and I each made a video of us playing Assassin's Creed 3, many people would see very different videos, with completely different audiotracks, a different progression, etc. So by doing the commentary and editing, it can be argued a Let's Player is making their own product.

and? nintendo isnt asking them to do so. Its a hobby. Seriously dont argue about things you dont understand. The world is a lot more complicated than your black and white vision you have of it.
Also no you cant argue they are making their own product because they are using copyrighted material.

Are you saying someone has to ask you to do something to make it a job? Guess self made entrepreneurs don't have real jobs.
---
xbox gamertag: lonewolfnd 3DS Friend Code: 3136-6624-4823 Official XboxLover of the KDF
#74BuretsuPosted 5/16/2013 9:24:28 PM
GoombaX posted...
laxnd23 posted...
GoombaX posted...

A hobby is something you do for fun. A job is something you do for money. And these people make LPs for money.

They ARE making their own product, because they're adding to the existing content of the game.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#75Baha05Posted 5/16/2013 9:25:57 PM
Buretsu posted...
A hobby is something you do for fun. A job is something you do for money. And these people make LPs for money.

They ARE making their own product, because they're adding to the existing content of the game.

Chances are if they are doing it for the money they are doing something wrong.

And no, they are only commentating on the game. Not adding content.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#76laxnd23Posted 5/16/2013 9:26:38 PM
Baha05 posted...
Buretsu posted...

That's adding content to the video. Original content too. Oh and that editing, also original.
---
xbox gamertag: lonewolfnd 3DS Friend Code: 3136-6624-4823 Official XboxLover of the KDF
#77BuretsuPosted 5/16/2013 9:28:15 PM
Baha05 posted...
Buretsu posted...

Is there something wrong with "doing something you love to do and finding a way to make money from it"? I don't think so.

Commentary isn't content? Someone should go yell at the MST3k dudes and tell them that they didn't add content.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#78GoombaX(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 9:29:42 PM
laxnd23 posted...
GoombaX posted...
laxnd23 posted...
GoombaX posted...

Are you saying someone has to ask you to do something to make it a job? Guess self made entrepreneurs don't have real jobs.

again you are using your black and white glasses. You kids have no real understanding of how the real world works.
You guys have no idea what you are talking about and nothing you say makes any sense at all. I know for a fact you kids must be in high school so make sure to take an econ class and maybe you will learn something. Companies sue each other for millions of dollars over things like this.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Injustice, MvC 2, SMW
#79BuretsuPosted 5/16/2013 9:32:01 PM
GoombaX posted...
again you are using your black and white glasses. You kids have no real understanding of how the real world works.

In other words "BLargh I'm so mad that people have found a way to make money through doing something they enjoy instead of doing something they hate like the rest of us!"
---
#80Baha05Posted 5/16/2013 9:32:06 PM
Buretsu posted...
Is there something wrong with "doing something you love to do and finding a way to make money from it"? I don't think so.

Commentary isn't content? Someone should go yell at the MST3k dudes and tell them that they didn't add content.

Yeah if it's just gaining from ad revenue for something you don't own to begin with. It would be like if I gained ad revenue for playing full albums and adding commentary, or movies.

And yeah commentary isn't additional content, it's just commentary. The guys that do MST3K are mainly doing skits on top of movies for a show, for Rift Trax they are selling their work either separate or with a movie which I'm pretty damn sure they have to PAY the owners of said movie royalties when selling the movie itself with the commentary.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U