What would you do if Nintendo Virtual Boy's the Wii U?

#11AhnoldDoodPosted 5/18/2013 8:04:11 PM
Lordrv posted...
I can name 4 great Nintendo 1st party games for Virtual boy, mario clash, mario tennis, wario land, telero boxer. Does Wii U even have that?

lol at Mario Clash. Have fun playing a disorienting 3D Mario Bros. 99 times in a row.

Anyways, New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, Tekken Tag Tournament 2...

May I go on?
#12AhnoldDoodPosted 5/18/2013 8:05:48 PM
Lordrv posted...
I can name 4 great Nintendo 1st party games for Virtual boy, mario clash, mario tennis, wario land, telero boxer. Does Wii U even have that?

Oh, and Wario Land is the only "great" title in your list. Telero Boxer and Mario Tennis are OK.
#13SegavsCapcomPosted 5/18/2013 8:10:10 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Lordrv posted...

Oh, and Wario Land is the only "great" title in your list. Telero Boxer and Mario Tennis are OK.

Whatchu talkin bout? Telero Boxer kicked butt.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#14VoelgerPosted 5/18/2013 8:17:00 PM
Guys, all wii u needs is great games! If Nintendo releases great games people will buy it. There is no need for new system. The wii u is not doing poorly because its not powerful, it's doing poorly because there are few great games.
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#15FFXIgaiaknightPosted 5/18/2013 8:20:06 PM
Voelger posted...
Guys, all wii u needs is great games! If Nintendo releases great games people will buy it. There is no need for new system. The wii u is not doing poorly because its not powerful, it's doing poorly because there are few great games.

marketing has more to do with selling a system than the games itself and right now the general public sees the wii u as a 300 add on for the wii.
---
http://www.club1kjho.com
NNI: Gaiaknight
#16VoelgerPosted 5/18/2013 8:22:17 PM
FFX... I disagree! The reason people think its an add on is because there is no show case game that is obvious a regular wii couldn't run. New Super Mario U looks like a HD wii game. They need a system seller.
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#17FFXIgaiaknightPosted 5/18/2013 8:27:44 PM
Voelger posted...
FFX... I disagree! The reason people think its an add on is because there is no show case game that is obvious a regular wii couldn't run. New Super Mario U looks like a HD wii game. They need a system seller.

while i agree there big game is graphically NSMBW in HD it doesnt change the fact that nintendo never talks about the console itself they only talk about the controller which is confusing people especially when the wii u console itself looks like the wii.
---
http://www.club1kjho.com
NNI: Gaiaknight
#18zoogelioPosted 5/18/2013 8:35:18 PM
It's not the Virtual Boy. The Virtual Boy gives the user headaches, the Wii U gives Sony/Microsoft fans headaches (they're not dismissing it in a LOL-manner like they did the Gamecube).

Anyway, Wii U has a more acclaimed library or impending releases so far than the Virtual Boy. While the Virtual Boy's library has more decent games than people give it credit for, all things considered, it had very few games that seemed to be really worthwhile, enough to get into the system (VB Wario Land). It did however, seem to have a more active library than the Wii U has now, but it was moribund after 4 months with low sales (last game came out 7 months after release). Wii U has far exceeded its sales and shows signs of more development, more third party support. Virtual Boy sold, what, somewhere in the 800,000s? And we don't know how many of those were in the clearance sales over 1996, and even a few in 1997.

In terms of sales of among the worst consoles, from just a quick look around-
Dreamcast- 10.6M (this was over about 2 1/2 years. This was worldwide totals)

TurboGrafx-16- 10M (2.5M in the US. Barely on the radar in the US, it was a major competitor to Nintendo in Japan)

Saturn- 9.5M (only 2M, give or take, in the US. Yeah, that disastrous)

Sega CD- 6M (not bad for a pricy peripheral)

3DO- 2M (I'd like more verification of this. Most of these I've seen a few numbers in the same vicinity for, but 3DO is a bit lacking)

Virtual Boy- 770,000 (350,000 were shipped by Dec 1995, suggesting the other 420,000 were produced but waiting for stock to clear the shelves. This was probably all the clearanced stuff. Earthbound was similar. Sold more games on clearance 1 year+ after release than it did in its first year)

CD-i- 570,000 (and we don't know how many of those were equipped to play games vs. just as multimedia centers, nor how many might be counted in sales to business as kiosk units. I've seen others put it at about 700,000)

Neo Geo AES- based on console serial numbers, there look to be just under 340,000 consoles out there. One has to remember it never intended to compete in the console wars directly. The arcades (and the Neo Geo MVS) were SNK's core business.

Sega 32X- 200,000 one source, 665,000 another source (the 200k figure was evidently just Dec 1994 sales. And this is why few Sonic fans know about Knuckles Chaotix or why few people have played the finest hummingbird-based shooter ever made- Kolibri)

Atari Jaguar- 250,000 (evidently 100,000 of those were in their inventory by the end of 1995. For all their bluster and noise, Atari did not have a large fanbase by 1993-95)

Apple Bandai Pippin- 42,000

and for comparison,
Gamecube- just under 22M worldwide (North America 12.94M).