Should gamefaqs require proof of system ownership to post in its boards?

#1CelesEsperIce3Posted 5/18/2013 8:27:54 AM
Should you have to prove you own a Wii U, 360, PS3, etc. to post in its boards? - Results (224 votes)
Yes
31.25% (70 votes)
No
68.75% (154 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I think that the only way to crush the system wars and end the massive hate is to make owning the system for the board you are posting in a requirement. If you don't own a Wii U then you have no posting capabilities in the Wii U board. No vita, no posting in the vita boards. It wouldn't be terribly hard to register systems or even games to prove that you own them and it would put a wall up to keep out the trolls.

And to anyone who says they have to ask questions like should I buy this system/game before buying it, just read reviews and make a decision on your own. Going to a Wii U board to ask if you should buy a Wii U is like going to a Harley-Davidson dealership and asking if you should buy a Harley.
---
Go ahead, believe everything the media tells you, they would never lie to you, right?
#2Baha05Posted 5/18/2013 8:28:50 AM
No, if anything the mods just need to do a better job. Maybe for the more active console boards have one guy just watch.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3RioichiCooperPosted 5/18/2013 8:30:24 AM
What about the PS4 board? Some people read boards for information.
---
All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster: four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes.
#4digiblasterPosted 5/18/2013 8:32:14 AM
I voted yes, but regretted it. I think it would be better if there was a verification to show that you own a console, but people (like myself) post on those console boards for advice/information.

Banning them entirely would be a bad move, but GameFAQs should show whether or not you own the console, like Miiverse does to show whether you own a game.

There is, of course, the difficulty of proving that it's actually yours, and not a friend's, but at the end of the day it'll likely never be implemented anyway.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#5muffinmasherPosted 5/18/2013 8:32:56 AM
This is a bad idea. People could have legitimate questions about the system that haven't been answered or aren't obvious.

I do agree that the board here is awful. There is no discussing the system, it's all negative junk, and it's driving people away from the site, to seek discussion elsewhere. I don't know what they could do to improve it, but honestly, it's getting absurd.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654 8353 8201
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#6Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 5/18/2013 8:33:06 AM
No because despite what the fanboys think, this is not the "I own a Wii U" message board, it is simply the Wii U message board. If you want to only post in a bubble you have miiverse. Just be careful of the Draconian censorship going on over there.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#7Ryan SiPosted 5/18/2013 8:33:26 AM
Dumb concept and poor business decision from various perspectives.
#8CelesEsperIce3(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 8:34:05 AM
Baha05 posted...
No, if anything the mods just need to do a better job. Maybe for the more active console boards have one guy just watch.

How could the mods really do a better job? You can't ban someone for saying "No he shouldn't be fired because the Wii U really sucks" Its just an opinion and not terribly offensive, but there is no doubt the poster doesn't have a Wii U and is only here to troll people who do. They'd have to ban half the people who post to really make an impact on the trolling and hate.

If people who don't have Wii U's couldn't post in the Wii U board, it would end the hate and allow intelligent conversations to be prevalent.
---
Go ahead, believe everything the media tells you, they would never lie to you, right?
#9picanoPosted 5/18/2013 8:35:40 AM
Restricting the board would probably cut down on all the hate topics, but would also keep out many legitimate users.

Having an icon indicating ownership (like Miiverse) would be interesting though.
---
Shadow Kirby 3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-HmieoMk&fmt=22 Watch!
http://picanogfx.unotaku.com 3D Art and Catgirls!
#10GoombaXPosted 5/18/2013 8:35:50 AM
no
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Injustice, MvC 2, SMW