Is it possible that we'd get to download E3 demos?

#1digiblasterPosted 5/19/2013 1:19:02 PM
So, for those games that get shown on the E3 floor, is it likely (or even possible) that we'd be able to download them through the eShop? It's one thing seeing footage of a demo, but playing the demo is a whole different story.

It'd certainly be a good way to hype the games up for the console owners, and perhaps even persuade a few people into buying the console earlier than they'd have intended.

Out of curiosity, has anyone done this before?
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#2YamiYugi4400Posted 5/19/2013 1:20:39 PM
I think i saw E3 or some event demos on the 360 before, though no clue how much later they were released
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#3AdamLazarusoPosted 5/19/2013 1:22:18 PM
Not likely. Demos like that are typically running on dev kits, not consoles.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#4MegaWinFTWPosted 5/19/2013 1:23:54 PM
It's potentially possible but it isn't usually done. It would depend how far along the game is and whether the demo is solid enough to withstand unsupervised play without giving a negative impression.
#5TheUnboundOnePosted 5/19/2013 1:44:16 PM
Why would there be a public demo for games 6-18 months out being shown for the first time at an industry trade show?
---
Truth is only known once you step outside the information bubble.
#6bsp77Posted 5/19/2013 1:49:30 PM
Head to one of the 100 Best Buy stores that will let you play the demos during E3 week.
#7_Sovereign_Posted 5/19/2013 4:30:28 PM
bsp77 posted...
Head to one of the 100 Best Buy stores that will let you play the demos during E3 week.

---
I do not return to topics. I say my peace and move on. If you draw issues with what I say, then by all means, inbox me.
#8SocranPosted 5/19/2013 4:40:27 PM(edited)
The problem with downloadable demos is that they'll stay up until the day the game is released, even if it's practically an alpha build of the game. (Or if it does get taken down, people will ***** about that.) Which means if there are any bugs in the demo, or the game changes at all, people will still base their impressions on the unfinished version.

I know, demos come with a disclaimer that says "Demo does not represent the finished game", but a couple of words aren't enough to circumvent basic human psychology.

However, as other people said, Best Buy will have demos of the games available during the E3 period. Just not downloadable.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#9Gavin_RozeePosted 5/19/2013 6:53:52 PM
_Sovereign_ posted...
bsp77 posted...

Good idea! I'll get a loan and a passport (I've never been abroad) and fly from the UK to America and visit a Best Buy!

Anyone want to meet me at the airport? x
---
Wii U Nintendo Network ID: "Gavintendo".
3DS Friend Code: 3625 8479 9870.
#10Paulf001Posted 5/19/2013 6:55:27 PM
Gavin_Rozee posted...
_Sovereign_ posted...
bsp77 posted...

Good idea! I'll get a loan and a passport (I've never been abroad) and fly from the UK to America and visit a Best Buy!

Anyone want to meet me at the airport? x

Sure thing buddy.