So according to today's poll, most people's major problem with the Wii U is...

#21EoinPosted 5/19/2013 11:27:55 PM
ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
But if most people care about the amount of good games, the major problem is solved, and while it's not the perfect console, it'd be solved for the majority, right?

Firstly, 46% is not a majority.

Secondly, this is the GameFAQs poll. The audience here is nothing like the general public. A console that appealed perfectly to GameFAQs would probably fail catastrophically in the real world.

Thirdly, the poll options weren't exactly ideal. An option, inserted as the fourth option, for "all three of the above", would probably win easily.

Finally, you've hinted at part of the issue yourself in your original post by asking "Or do they need to be third party exclusives?" - they don't, every game helps in some way, but multiplatforms help a lot less than exclusives, and Nintendo games (which people are expecting) help less than major third-party exclusives (which they aren't).
#22hulkamaniakzPosted 5/19/2013 11:29:52 PM
LinkMaster2703 posted...
Golden Maven posted...
arvilino posted...
I think you could understand that a console could have a lot of fantastic games and still not do very well.

Give me an example. And before you bring up the Dreamcast, its games had limited appeal.

Very, very limited appeal. I haven't played a Dreamcast game that I've enjoyed yet. I honestly thought Jet Set Radio was one of the most putrid games I've ever played.

Odds are your a Nintendo fanboy then, the Dreamcast has a great catalogue of games, Jet Grind/Set radio being one of them
#23EoinPosted 5/19/2013 11:31:28 PM
Golden Maven posted...
Why does someone buy a console? Games. Everything else is just sugar on top. These entertainment options you speak of (Netflix and other streaming services?) can be covered by cheaper, more effective devices.

I've already answered the question of why people buy consoles - "a combination, of games and power and price and entertainment options and online services, all of which vary in importance from person to person". The entertainment options that you are so quick to dismiss as "sugar on top" are only one of the various things I said contributed, and there's no doubt that the entertainment options can contribute.
#24LinkMaster2703Posted 5/19/2013 11:33:27 PM(edited)
hulkamaniakz posted...
LinkMaster2703 posted...
Golden Maven posted...
arvilino posted...
I think you could understand that a console could have a lot of fantastic games and still not do very well.

Give me an example. And before you bring up the Dreamcast, its games had limited appeal.

Very, very limited appeal. I haven't played a Dreamcast game that I've enjoyed yet. I honestly thought Jet Set Radio was one of the most putrid games I've ever played.

Odds are your a Nintendo fanboy then, the Dreamcast has a great catalogue of games, Jet Grind/Set radio being one of them

Considering I've played Jet Set Radio both on an original Dreamcast and on my Playstation Vita, not really.
---
http://tinyurl.com/mjedwq2
#25Ryan SiPosted 5/20/2013 12:05:32 AM
It needs games, but it's still over-priced.

Nintendo will get crushed sales wise this Holiday season with a $350 Wii U and only Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 to on shelves. PS4 and the new Xbox will be in prime hype/sell mode.

I'd bet money Nintendo drops the price to $299 before November.
---
Best of Gen: Portal 2, Xenoblade, Bit. Trip Runner 2
Anticipating: GTAV, FFX HD, Madden 25, NHL 14
#26_LordAndSaviorPosted 5/20/2013 12:06:45 AM
ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
As for filling out the year with good releases, one must ask, how many games a year does a console need to stay relevant? How many good games, that is?

How many good games do the other consoles have?

Atleast 15-20 per year I say.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#27LinkMaster2703Posted 5/20/2013 12:09:23 AM
Ryan Si posted...

Nintendo will get crushed sales wise this Holiday season with a $350 Wii U and only Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 to on shelves. PS4 and the new Xbox will be in prime hype/sell mode.

I'm not ruling out a price cut, but what exactly makes the other consoles a sure thing? The Xbox 360 and PS3 are still selling really well, so people who just bought one are not going to want to upgrade so soon. Many of the big name 3rd party games are going to be cross generation, so that isn't going to be a factor either. If the rumored price points for the new consoles are true then I think they could see a similar struggle to the Wii U.
---
http://tinyurl.com/mjedwq2
#28SocranPosted 5/20/2013 12:27:57 AM
Ryan Si posted...

*Facepalm*

The Wii U is $299! The $350 version is just the bundle that everyone wants because it's a good deal! For the love of... If you plan on buying one of the other systems and have a game to go along with it, you'd have to add an additional $60 to its base cost, so there's really no point comparing their "with a game" price to Nintendo's "with a game" price.

I don't know why people are always so misinformed. I've even heard some people talking about the system being $400.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#29Emperor_mateusPosted 5/20/2013 12:34:14 AM
Ryan Si posted...

To be fair I haven't seen much hype for the next gen either. If I recall correctly the reaction to the unveiling of the new playstation a little meh?

Nintendo does need a bigger tittle for the Christmas season though. Pikmin is probably a great game, but its not exactly Nintendo's biggest property and Wind Waker is a remake. Sure those games will sell well, but i'm not exactly sure if those games are the killer app that will turn the Wii U in a new direction.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...