So Nintendo isn't actually taking down anyone's videos with Nintendo content?

#61Waggy17Posted 5/20/2013 1:42:41 PM
deathslove posted...
Waggy17 posted...
Deathsword00 posted...
Nintendo is well within their rights to do this. If you look on Youtube's ToS for monetizing videos there is a rule against monetizing videos with video game footage without the explicit permission of the game's creator. On top of that any sort of fair use argument against this being copyright infringement wouldn't hold up for a second anywhere.

Also this has been happening for months now. This is only news because some people are losing their sweet LP ~*SWAG*~ bucks. This was inevitable, anyone who actually thought they had a stable career going with this was a plain moron.

This. I would say it's not fair use based on the fact that, while it may not impact games sales, it has the potential to affect Nintendo's monetization potential for similar videos based off of the same IP.

It only promotes their games, and it is the simple fact that nintendo is actually doing this that upsets people.

I bet if EA did this first, people on here would be bashing it and saying it is evil. But nope we have all the nintendo defenders in here.

Unfortunately, promotion is irrelevant in this discussion.

You're acting like this hasn't been done before, but, as referenced in my earlier post, Microsoft has essentially done the same thing.

The PS4 will allow streaming and sharing; however, Sony will still allow content owners (publishers/developers) to restrict this ability.

Again, Nintendo, if they so choose, can post videos to YouTube and they have monetization options as well; in fact Nintendo does post videos to YouTube (I've been receiving notifications on my Wii U when a new Mario video posts). These LP videos compete with any video Nintendo could post with similar IP, and as such can impact Nintendo's monetization efforts.

When all is said and done though, there's no need to defend Nintendo. When you create a YouTube channel and get set up for monetization, you agree to their terms and conditions. It sucks for those who have videos that will no longer receive funds from advertising, but perhaps this is a great opportunity for them to generate new content as opposed to relying on other content creators' copyrighted material.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#62henzler3Posted 5/21/2013 3:00:27 AM
excitebike64 posted...
Did a quick search on these videos. Despite a few like Mario getting a million hits, we are talking about a game that would have sold anyway. Other series, barely get hits in terms of world population. Nintendo's attitude, these games sell themselves. You can do this as a hobby, but claiming a paycheck and saying you are helping - Nintendo is saying this is not true, and is an abuse of the IP.

Would not be surprised in the future, Nintendo might do something like this themselves. Maybe have it exclusive on their networks. No point doing it until they control the fodder going elsewhere.

yes, like slowbeef stated, there is no REAL proof that a LPers lets play help with sales, it is impossible to say if a video helped sales at all

its for me, annoyed that people are complaining that they no longer will make money off nintendo, which is the main thing thats going on here, and even so, if people didn't make money off nintendo, this wouldn't be a big deal, no would care, but 16 year old kids who are making money off nintendo games, are pissed

LETS PLAY WAS A HOBBY NOT A JOB plain and simple
---
Doc Then tell me, "Future Boy", who's President in the US in 1985?
Marty: Ronald Reagan. Doc: Ronald Reagan? The actor!!
#63devilminionPosted 5/21/2013 3:39:33 AM
henzler3 posted...
yes, like slowbeef stated, there is no REAL proof that a LPers lets play help with sales, it is impossible to say if a video helped sales at all

its for me, annoyed that people are complaining that they no longer will make money off nintendo, which is the main thing thats going on here, and even so, if people didn't make money off nintendo, this wouldn't be a big deal, no would care, but 16 year old kids who are making money off nintendo games, are pissed

LETS PLAY WAS A HOBBY NOT A JOB plain and simple

Key word: Was.

People have turned hobbies into jobs before. LethalFrag is a good example. His job was being a chef, and gaming was his hobby. Now, he cooks as a hobby, and plays games for his job. Now he is making enough to not only support himself, but his daughter as well.
#64henzler3Posted 5/24/2013 12:18:13 PM
the LPers are complaining because they ad renuve will come back to nintendo instead of them, so its more about youtube lpers not making money anymore

in which, if your doing it for money, you shouldn't be doing it anyway, I do it for fun, and alot of lpers are doing it JUST for the money, which is kinda silly to think someone could play video games for money (besides real company jobs)

and again the difference between a normal lper and lets say the yogscast, is that the yogscast ACTUALLY TALKS ABOUT THE GAME and alot of games they did, actually helped sells alot, like minecraft for example
---
Doc Then tell me, "Future Boy", who's President in the US in 1985?
Marty: Ronald Reagan. Doc: Ronald Reagan? The actor!!