Should Nintendo cut its losses on Western 3rd parties and focus on Eastern ones?

#21SocranPosted 5/21/2013 12:40:30 AM
Mecha Sonic posted...
Nintendo should have taken the mountain of gold they were sitting on in 2007 and bought up a bunch of third party developers. Microsoft did the same thing with Rare and Bungie, and in Bungie's case, it paid hella dividends with the Halo franchise, which single-handedly made the platform popular in the West. There's no reason why Nintendo couldn't have done the same thing -- why they couldn't have gone out there and snapped up Sega, or snapped up Capcom, or snapped up Square. If they'd leveraged the Wii's success into third party acquisitions, the Wii's library wouldn't have been so frightfully dismal, and the Wii U wouldn't be such a god damn desert right now.

Capcom, Sega, and Square are all huge publishers. They can't be bought up as easily as independent developers. But oh, look, Nintendo did buy independent developers, including one who used to belong to a different publisher. And said developers are releasing Wii U games. Imagine that.

So, by your analogy, we can probably expect "X" to be this system's Halo. I'm cool with that.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#22LeviathDragonPosted 5/21/2013 12:55:30 AM
I dont really play western games outside point and click adventure games so sure.

Seems like its mostly American devs bashing Nintendo lately.
---
"Ni tai no monster ga Overlay Network kouchiku suru! XYZ Shoukan! Ara ware yo, Number 17 Leviath Dragon!"
#23fuzi11Posted 5/21/2013 1:43:22 AM
no, because of the exceptions you make.
#24AkaneJonesPosted 5/21/2013 2:08:51 AM
Chocobo115 posted...
won't help. Will only buy first party titles for my Ninteno consoles no matter what 3rd party Nintendo focuses on.

What would happen if those games you would buy on PS4 or Nextbox/PC landed on a Nintendo console as an exclusive? Would you just ignore them as it's a Nintendo console? Seems awfully stupid of you, if you did. If there weren't any non-Sony/MS titles that you'd be willing to buy as exclusives, then you aren't really a target anyway. Which would make me question why you'd by those game if they were on Sony/MS systems.
#25iKhanicPosted 5/21/2013 2:27:01 AM
Activision is precarious, but they are still pretty Nintendo friendly. I say don't waste time trying to pursue them, but don't cut ties.

But I do agree to an extend. Nintendo can rob Sony of their power in the RPG market if they play their cards right with Atlus and SE. Maybe they can even bring Namco-Tales over to their side (since they are the console of choice for the series' western market.)
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#26Misdreavus573Posted 5/21/2013 3:58:04 AM
Well if I had to choose between Western devs or Eastern devs, I'd go with the latter.

I've been rather hard pressed to care about what Western devs have been putting out in the past few years. They're mostly just shooters and action games that only care about hyper-realistic graphics. Even their RPGs are becoming more and more like action games with stats tacked on. And some of the only exceptions I can think of (Arkham series, Injustice, been wanting to try Assassin's Creed) are already on Wii U.

By comparison, Japan has companies like Nintendo themselves, Sega, Capcom, Atlus, etc. that put out quality, and actually unique and interesting, games. I'll take that over EA and Activision any day.
#27KAMMYqueenPosted 5/21/2013 4:09:46 AM
Ubisoft the only one i like
---
KAMMY KOOPA is the final hope for Nintendo!
#28K-R-A-N-G-Posted 5/21/2013 4:21:03 AM
I doing think its a cases of Nintendo focusing on 3rd parties and more 3rd parties focusing on Nintendo which ain't happening for obvious reasons. There prolly more profits making androids games then making Wii U games to be painfully honest.
#29The_Shadow_LinkPosted 5/21/2013 4:21:58 AM
Ubisoft's key contribution to the Wii last generation was just dance. A Major game that opened the doors to all forms of shovelware for the console.

Following them fully is not the best of ideas...
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#30PulpPosted 5/21/2013 4:28:02 AM
Nintendo has focused on the eastern market -- that's been their major issue for several generations now. Pretty sure it is a major frustration for all the other divisions of Nintendo outside of Japan.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.