WiiU's 38k April NPD numbers show a disturbing reality

#1Mr_IwataPosted 5/20/2013 10:08:57 PM
With the WiiU selling 38k units in April according to NPD a little quick math reveals something eye opening.

NPD covers about 25,000 stores across the US.

WiiU sold 38,000 units.

If you average those sales out between the stores it comes out to 1.52 units sold per store for the month.

That means that, on average, those stores only sold between one and two units... for the whole month. Not per week. For the whole month.

I've seen topics popping up about people saying things like "I went into [insert store name here] and asked how many WiiU's have been selling and the clerk told me they haven't sold any in weeks" or "The clerk in [insert store here] said they only sold like 1 or two WiiU's over the last month." And then what happens is those topic makers get labeled trolls, called liars, and harassed by some overzealous fans.

But the numbers don't lie. Most likely if a store clerk tells you they haven't sold a WiiU in weeks, or they only sell like one or two per month, that store clerk is most likely telling the truth.

This paints a grim picture of the current state of the WiiU. I think we all understand it's doing pretty bad right now. With the numbers to back that up I think you guys should maybe take it a bit easier on people recounting their experiences and instead of dogpiling on them for speaking what is most likely the truth instead discuss things you can do to maybe help the situation. Nintendo sure isn't advertising the WiiU, but between the internet and word of mouth maybe if you're kinder to each other and help spread the word you can help things pick up a little bit.

Because in this situation every little bit counts.
---
Please understand.
#21shadetail1Posted 5/20/2013 10:10:20 PM
User Name - Mr_Iwata
Board User Level - 13: Provisional (4)
Karma - 1
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#3fon1988Posted 5/20/2013 10:10:52 PM
Mr Iwata you are spending too much time on this board talking about bad sales. You need to be thinking about your E3 strategy.
---
Wii U and 3DS for my current gen gaming. PS4 or 720 will be added a later date.
#4Pokerkid777Posted 5/20/2013 10:11:59 PM
another troll topic once again. Let me tell you something...

over 3 million units in over a couple of months is not "bad" in any situation.
---
Tennis is the sport for gods I tell you. MOTHER****ING GODS!
#5Mr_Iwata(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2013 10:12:28 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6PUNCHOUT1116Posted 5/20/2013 10:13:29 PM
What do you plan to do about it Iwata???

Things were so much better when Mr Yamaguchiyatiariasan ran the show
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#7AhnoldDoodPosted 5/20/2013 10:14:00 PM
April just shows that a console does poorly when there's no notable game releases.
#8Golden MavenPosted 5/20/2013 10:14:10 PM
That's strange, none of the fanboys are addressing the issue at hand here. They are deflecting the conversation by trying to attack the TC. Can't say I haven't seen that tactic before.
#9PUNCHOUT1116Posted 5/20/2013 10:14:58 PM
Golden Maven posted...
That's strange, none of the fanboys are addressing the issue at hand here. They are deflecting the conversation by trying to attack the TC. Can't say I haven't seen that tactic before.

Hey I asked what he was gonna do about it, these sales are atrocious
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#10VernnonPosted 5/20/2013 10:15:44 PM
Mr_Iwata posted...
With the WiiU selling 38k units in April according to NPD a little quick math reveals something eye opening.

NPD covers about 25,000 stores across the US.

WiiU sold 38,000 units.

If you average those sales out between the stores it comes out to 1.52 units sold per store for the month.

That means that, on average, those stores only sold between one and two units... for the whole month. Not per week. For the whole month.

I've seen topics popping up about people saying things like "I went into [insert store name here] and asked how many WiiU's have been selling and the clerk told me they haven't sold any in weeks" or "The clerk in [insert store here] said they only sold like 1 or two WiiU's over the last month." And then what happens is those topic makers get labeled trolls, called liars, and harassed by some overzealous fans.

But the numbers don't lie. Most likely if a store clerk tells you they haven't sold a WiiU in weeks, or they only sell like one or two per month, that store clerk is most likely telling the truth.

This paints a grim picture of the current state of the WiiU. I think we all understand it's doing pretty bad right now. With the numbers to back that up I think you guys should maybe take it a bit easier on people recounting their experiences and instead of dogpiling on them for speaking what is most likely the truth instead discuss things you can do to maybe help the situation. Nintendo sure isn't advertising the WiiU, but between the internet and word of mouth maybe if you're kinder to each other and help spread the word you can help things pick up a little bit.

Because in this situation every little bit counts.

Phew, Iwata you've been on the roll lately with the post, you kinda forgot something to back that up..hmm. what's it called again? Ah, source... or maybe it's the Carpel tunnel getting in the way. Do us a favor, give it a rest.