Looks like Gamestop may want to start pushing WiiU pretty hard lol

#1PUNCHOUT1116Posted 5/21/2013 11:50:18 AM
With the whole "no used games" thing goin around with the other guys, Gamestop may want to reevaluate its business, as they make most of there profits on used products :/
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#2PUNCHOUT1116(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 11:56:35 AM
Seriously though, I wonder what kind of impact this is gonna have on Gamestop as a whole?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#3digiblasterPosted 5/21/2013 12:00:25 PM
It'll be interesting to see how they react, particularly given the way they've treated it so far.

PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
Seriously though, I wonder what kind of impact this is gonna have on Gamestop as a whole?

It'd destroy them. A huge amount of their revenue comes from used games.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#4PUNCHOUT1116(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 12:03:44 PM
digiblaster posted...
It'll be interesting to see how they react, particularly given the way they've treated it so far.

PUNCHOUT1116 posted...

Thats what I was thinking.

So is WiiU the only console this gen to allow for used games?
---
#5sejan12Posted 5/21/2013 12:03:46 PM
I'm guessing that GS employees will begin to be trained to push Wii U and PS4 (provided that it doesn't do something similar). MS's shelf space will be slowly diminished with time. I can't imagine a sales strategy that directly attacks the retailers that sell your product being conducive to overall sales.
#6Prince ShondronaiPosted 5/21/2013 12:04:59 PM
They could partner with Sony and Microsoft to offer special deals on used-game activation codes.

Other than that, it's still going to cause hiccups at the cash register when people go to purchase the systems with used games: "Oh, did you know you need to also purchase this special code for each of those games in order to use them?"
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#7DBPanterAPosted 5/21/2013 12:05:18 PM
digiblaster posted...

PUNCHOUT1116 posted...

Exactly. They make I believe in the neighborhood of 75% of their revenue from used game sales. This is also why they started selling used tech, like smart phones and tablets.

It will be interesting to see them those nerds push the new consoles when the profit margin is little compared to a used game. It may also mean the shelves being stocked with more used games from the current gen than next gen titles.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#8ninjarauiPosted 5/21/2013 12:06:21 PM
If I were them I would stop carrying their system and games. 80% of their money comes from used. THey make 3 to 4 dollars per new game. 10 to 20 on used systems, and used games are marked up 100-300% of what they buy them for.

THats why they always try to get you to switch to used if they have it. You think they give a damn about you saving 5 dollars?
#9TerotrousPosted 5/21/2013 12:06:53 PM
It'd be interesting if they refused to sell PS4 / One games or gave them extremely limited shelf space.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Hi no Tori"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#10lp913Posted 5/21/2013 12:07:20 PM
Oh, but remember what GameStop said about XBOX ONE before its reveal: "HOT, COMPELLING," I wonder if they still feel that way about it now? :p
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]