Used Game Fees, publishers' answer to "Online Passes??"

#21TorajimaPosted 5/21/2013 2:00:08 PM
If this works for the game industry, why not other industries?

Maybe the movie industry should do this for DVDs.

And think of all the money General Motors is losing when people buy used cars! Or rent them, for that matter.
#22Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 2:02:00 PM
Torajima posted...

And think of all the money General Motors is losing when people buy used cars! Or rent them, for that matter.

This car has not been coded to your DNA, RETINA and RECTAL imprint.
To purchase an owner pass please pay $1000
To purchase an additional driver pass, please pay $200
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#23_FalstaffPosted 5/21/2013 3:04:36 PM
Torajima posted...

Be quiet! Stop giving them ideas!
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#24Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 4:16:11 PM
_Falstaff posted...
Torajima posted...

Be quiet! Stop giving them ideas!

heheh
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#25wombatkiddPosted 5/21/2013 4:21:20 PM
CraZywEaR posted...
Jackal posted...
I don't think devs should get a single penny of used game sales. They got their money from the initial sale and that's all they are entitled to. If they don't like it then they should stop making games.

Wow. Lets say 1 person buys a game you made. Lets also say that that one game at 60$ was traded in a resold to 9 other people. That should be $600 dollars right? No. It's $60 made.

CraZywEaR: another person ready to throw away the rights given to him by the first sale doctrine.
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#26Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 4:25:43 PM
wombatkidd posted...
CraZywEaR posted...
Jackal posted...
I don't think devs should get a single penny of used game sales. They got their money from the initial sale and that's all they are entitled to. If they don't like it then they should stop making games.

Wow. Lets say 1 person buys a game you made. Lets also say that that one game at 60$ was traded in a resold to 9 other people. That should be $600 dollars right? No. It's $60 made.

CraZywEaR: another person ready to throw away the rights given to him by the first sale doctrine.

No one listens how used games actually help the industry more then hurts it.
It allows others to try a series they are interested in at a lower entry fee, something they may not do at full price.These users then may turn around and buy the next iteration at full price.

It allows people to purchase long past games that have been out of print for years, or pick up gems they missed from yesteryear.

Sure, the publisher doesn't see a dime however they still make 2-10 million sales x $60 which is good enough. It's only the media industry which complains about used sales... and some states have begun to outlaw things like Yard Sales (Chicago Illinois in 2012)
---
#27ChippPosted 5/21/2013 4:29:14 PM
laxnd23 posted...
So what? PC games have been doing this for years with CD Keys. It's new to consoles for sure, but not to gaming.

This is true yes, but pc doesn't have a used game or rental market either.
#28DrumguyPosted 5/21/2013 4:30:11 PM
Contrary to what has been said, EA is developing Wii U games. Not as many as the other two consoles, but still.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4351844/ea-developing-wii-u-games
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl
#29CraZywEaRPosted 5/21/2013 5:03:38 PM
wombatkidd posted...
CraZywEaR posted...
Jackal posted...

Thanks but I was just making a point. "Devs shouldn't get a single penny" is kinda crazy to me. I wouldnt like settling for less money while I slave at work. Used games are convienent for most though.
---
Say no to fanboys.
Gt: H3adshot Breezy