Does the Xbox One reveal tell us home consoles are a dying breed?

#11Ryan SiPosted 5/22/2013 3:50:12 AM
I think the stand-alone, basic game console is dying. People expect an all-in-one entertainment device these days, which is what PS4 and XBO are really pushing for with streaming and social features, Blu-Ray, and TV features.
---
Best of Gen: Portal 2, Xenoblade, Bit. Trip Runner 2
Anticipating: GTAV, FFX HD, Madden 25, NHL 14
#12TalentedMPosted 5/22/2013 3:53:58 AM
If anything it is telling us that the gaming culture has evolved so far as to have gaming devices attached to every multimedia outlet in our lives and having them all interconnected should be the way things are meant to go.

Wether it is media (xbox), social media (ps4) or a combination of the 2 (wiiU). That is the way they would like their product to be viewed. As a thing that is a convenience and not a hinderence and something to compliment a livingroom instead of invade it... Which consoles were pretty much viewed as when I was a child.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#13KAMMYqueenPosted 5/22/2013 4:06:06 AM
no it just tell us what we already knew. Micosoft can't make a good system anymore
---
KAMMY KOOPA is the final hope for Nintendo!
#14digiblasterPosted 5/22/2013 4:14:36 AM
I've been saying there's going to be another crash all year.

I don't think consoles are a dying breed. The PS4 looks to be a solid gaming machine - at least, it will when there are a few more games to entice me. The Wii U, for all it's gone through, is shaping up nicely, and will be there by the end of the year.

The problem isn't home consoles, it's the attitude of developers, and the god-awful Xbox One. Get rid of DLC (or at least make it free or something), make sequels actually improve over their predecessors, and focus on the damn games rather than TV.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#15Rayden-JolteonPosted 5/22/2013 4:16:18 AM
Xbox One is a game console?
#16joehultPosted 5/22/2013 4:30:32 AM
I think ms gave into the pressure the publishers were giving them, and Sony will also have to bend if they want any third party support. In the end EA kills the gaming console. Pc is already dead, and phone apps will be all that remains.
#17_Sovereign_Posted 5/22/2013 4:52:44 AM
All it proves is what MS was telling everybody from the beginning, they were never part of the gaming culture....they only used it to get out of the back bedroom and into the living room.
---
I do not return to topics. I say my peace and move on. If you draw issues with what I say, then by all means, inbox me.
#18jsb0714Posted 5/22/2013 5:06:20 AM
Ryan Si posted...
I think the stand-alone, basic game console is dying. People expect an all-in-one entertainment device these days, which is what PS4 and XBO are really pushing for with streaming and social features, Blu-Ray, and TV features.

I think it's the extra crap that's the issue. I don't mind extra features, but when you focus away from the gaming too much, it's a problem.
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this
#19trenkenPosted 5/22/2013 5:15:07 AM
I think its become very clear that all 3 companies dont believe that having just a videogame system is enough anymore.

Nintendo has blamed that on the mobile market about 3 times in the last month. Iwata has said this personally himself. So now thats effected the way these systems are designed. The U is no different than the ONE. It still has all this TV crap and all these extra features to make it seem like a blown up version of a smart phone.

Nintendo has also said they dont believe there is a future in gaming where people spend $50 just to play one videogame. Iwata said he doesnt believe thats going to work.

I think the kind of change we're heading towards is smaller games, cheaper and faster to develop, no more games that take 3 years to build because whats happening now is its at the point where I believe Iwata said something like they need to sell like 10 million copies of a game to turn a profit, and most of their games dont actually sell that much, so the entire thing is a losing affair now. And that will force all of these companies to rethink what theyre doing.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#20VoelgerPosted 5/22/2013 5:50:55 AM
I must say that I disagree with much said in this topic! I think that the reason things are in decline are because of lack of innovation and because bloated over-budgeted games. Nintendo has been criticized that they were Ill prepared for modern game development, but I think the smaller budget games might be the saving grace for Nintendo.
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10